Scott Arfield

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

Went over your head.

The lot of players you suggested, are all legends of the game. 

Top 5 in their positions, meaning they can reverse their decision at will and not one person would question or say they don’t/didn’t want them back as again majority of those names have records for their country.

Scott holds the record for captaining a nation before actually visiting the country. 

Not sure if you are trying to be funny there or not but that is just plain lying. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Not sure if you are trying to be funny there or not but that is just plain lying. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

This was an error, rather than a blatant lie. And I stand corrected…He made 1 appearance in the country prior to captaining Canada in Toronto.

However sadly, that’s still probably a record. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

This was an error, rather than a blatant lie. And I stand corrected…He made 1 appearance in the country prior to captaining Canada in Toronto.

However sadly, that’s still probably a record. 

I’m pretty sure he was in Canada lots of times (not just in a game, which wasn’t what you posted) before being Captain but we’ll agree to differ on your comment. 

I’m certain he was at Canada’s Wonderland lots of times. Now THAT is a lie. Or maybe not. 🤦🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

I’m pretty sure he was in Canada lots of times (not just in a game, which wasn’t what you posted) before being Captain but we’ll agree to differ on your comment. 

I’m certain he was at Canada’s Wonderland lots of times. Now THAT is a lie. Or maybe not. 🤦🏻‍♂️

There was an interview where he said he had never been to Canada - obviously he wouldn’t have played as he grew up and his entire career has been in the UK.
I believe it was with KJ, but I’m 90% sure that was said. 

No mention ever of him vacationing in Canada….

https://vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/scotlands-arfield-steps-on-canadian-soil-for-first-time-laces-up-boots-for-canada

Edited by Shway

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

We don't actually know the full back story to what happened between him and John Herdman. Seriously doubt it will happen at this point but someone who can still do this in an Old Firm game would normally find his way onto the CMNT roster:

He hit the target, yay!  As a professional, we should expect nothing less of him.

Didn't he miss plenty of sitters in the Europa League against Braga?  

I think that Arfield is a reasonable player who would probably offer something to our team.  But he's 33 and his heart isn't in it for us for whatever reason - and given Coach Herdman's results and players who support him, all signs point to Arfield as the reason.

But people: we are the best we have ever been and that is without him.  When he played for us we were poor.  There is not spot in our team for him.  He is not welcome anymore.  

9 hours ago, gator said:

You don't know what the situation is, nor does anyone else on this board, I just want our team to have the best chance of winning and he clearly would add to that and it is disappointing for whatever the reasons are that he won't be available to contribute!

We know what the situation is: He retired.  

1 minute ago, RJB said:

He hit the target, yay!  As a professional, we should expect nothing less of him.

Didn't he miss plenty of sitters in the Europa League against Braga?  

I think that Arfield is a reasonable player who would probably offer something to our team.  But he's 33 and his heart isn't in it for us for whatever reason - and given Coach Herdman's results and players who support him, all signs point to Arfield as the reason.

But people: we are the best we have ever been and that is without him.  When he played for us we were poor.  There is not spot in our team for him.  He is not welcome anymore.  

So you would be in the ‘nay’ column. 

Gotcha. 👍

4 minutes ago, jordan said:

People wanting to see him back is not an issue at all, not like a few seem to make anyway. In the end he needs to want to come back and until he says so it doesn’t matter, and he may never say so. There will always be a few who never watch though that have an opinion.

Whitecaps scout Kevin Antunes watching Rangers-Braga is more relevant to me at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

People wanting to see him back is not an issue at all, not like a few seem to make anyway. In the end he needs to want to come back and until he says so it doesn’t matter, and he may never say so. There will always be a few who never watch though that have an opinion.

The issue is people want to effortlessly replace him with someone who got us here in record fashion. 

I’m a man of respect, and honour.  To me that screams disrespect. Especially from someone who’s turned their back on you…M U L T I P L E times. And he isn’t an elite, difference maker. 

Imagine telling Piette, look man I appreciate your undoubting commitment to Canada, but we gotta bring Arfield to Qatar in your place. I would protest for him.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

The issue is people want to effortlessly replace him with someone who got us here in record fashion. 

I’m a man of respect, and honour.  To me that screams disrespect. Especially from someone who’s turned their back on you…M U L T I P L E times. And he isn’t an elite, difference maker. 

Imagine telling Piette, look man I appreciate your undoubting commitment to Canada, but we gotta bring Arfield to Qatar in your place. I would protest for him.

Wow. There is some top-level shithousery going on there.  😂

Would love to put out a real thoughtful reply to it all but I start work at 8am tomorrow so won’t have enough time. 

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Attacking/box to box mid who is a domestic.  Fills a huge need for now, this 2022 season. 

Makes sense in all areas. 

Rangers, I think, might still want to sign him for another year though. 

Yes, not getting starting minutes all the time but he does make an impact at crucial times when on the park. 

2 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Wow. There is some top-level shithousery going on there.  😂

Would love to put out a real thoughtful reply to it all but I start work at 8am tomorrow so won’t have enough time. 

Hey man, I understand what a brotherhood is, what loyalty is, and what being committed means. 

Some of y’all don’t. 🤭😂

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

Hey man, I understand what a brotherhood is, what loyalty is, and what being committed means. 

Some of y’all don’t. 🤭😂

So you being a loyal, committed brother puts you above those whose opinions differ from yours?

Shithousery might have been the wrong word used. 

Edited by gwsmith63

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Some of y’all don’t. 🤭😂

I think one or two guys are going to be asked to make the ultimate sacrifice to the brotherhood to which they have have committed by being informed that they won't be making the squad for Qatar come November.

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think one or two guys are going to be asked to make the ultimate sacrifice to the brotherhood to which they have have committed by being informed that they won't be making the squad for Qatar come November.

Yea for sure. I agree. 
But it wouldn’t be for Arfield is my main point. 

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Why are people thinking about this......why did we welcome Cavallini back after 2 years of ingoring the call ups,  and during which he said he regretted playing for Canada??  Why did we all clamor for Akinola when he played...what 50+ games with american youth sides???  Why are guys crying that Ugbo didnt get more playing time when he has been committed to us for what....5months???  

Arfield committed to us when we were recovering from our lowest point, played 20 times over 4 years and helped build the program back up.  He sure looks like he is healthy and can still play, plus he has bigtime european experience that might help our young team against Belgium and Croatia.  Something went sour with him and Herdman, and its a shame this hasnt been worked out because we could still use him and it would only take an injury or two and we would be f#cked in the midfield.  And dont give me the brotherhood story...it gets conviently forgotten when you are a big striker playing in League 1 or a hot young mid tearing up MLS, then there is a spot for you in the roster ASAP.    

Cavallini recommitted in 2017 when Canada was still at its lowest, so he was part of the up-rise. Ugbo is a very promising attacker that showed interest while having other options. There's no comparison there to Arfield who always had a spot if he wanted. Now that they are WC bound its a good question to ask with how have you helped us earn the WC place.

32 minutes ago, Shway said:

Well said. The margins between Arfield and Piette by WC time when Arfield who will be 34!! and playing OKish in a league that is no better than MLS are so thin. You need to invite the guys that got you there unless the next guy is completely exceptional. Like a guy that would be a top 3 in your squad which Arfield is not.