Mauro Eustaquio

Dub Narcotic

Got his first start last weekend against Fort Lauderdale for Ottawa.

Eustaquio, 20, is a 6’0 midfielder whose skillset is known to the club’s technical staff having played under Fury FC Technical Director Phillip Dos Santos who served as the Head Coach for the Canadian U20 squad at the Francophone Games. Eustaquio also represented Canada in two matches at the CONCACAF Men’s U20 Championship this past February scoring one goal in a winning effort against Nicaragua. Phillip Dos Santos served as Canada’s U20 Assistant Coach during this tournament.

Born in Nazaré, Portugal his family moved to Leamington, ON when he just 13 months old. Eustaquio returned to Nazaré at age 11 where he joined the Academy of Nazarenos. After six seasons he made the move to U.D. Leiria of the Primeira Liga playing for their U20 squad where he was named Rookie of the Year. In 2012, the 19 year old Eustaquio signed his first professional contract with Portuguese Third Division club Sporting Pombal and would complete the 2012/13 season on loan to Naval.

• 1 year later...

How do you think he played in the Cosmo's game? (if you were able to watch the game)

I couldnt get to this one. Saw the first 25 and the second half at home. I dont have a fair opinion from this game as he is easier to watch live. I think its easier to appreciate his movement behind the play when you can see him live.

Interesting, had no idea of his training, figured he came through Canadian youth clubs like most. Ottawa guys on here, thoughts on his performances so far?

He's been very solid in filling in for Julian de Guzman this season. In fact, I'd say he's benefited greatly from being JDG's understudy since the beginning of the year. When called into the squad, Eustaquio was performed very well. He patrols the area in front of the back four and makes life difficult for opposing attackers. His distribution has increased greatly and he makes good decisions on and off the ball. As you can tell, I've been very impressed. Some supporters have been starting to call on him (and Mason Trafford) to be given a look by Benito. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Now all they need is a n experienced goalkeeper and they're set. If you ask me, Fernandes would be a good fit. 

Fernandes signed in Europe with Lillestrom.

I think Edmonton is quite high on Farago and are willing to give him a greater share of the workload after three seasons as a third stringer / backup. Personally, I'd like to see someone like Quillan Roberts or Marco Carducci be signed to compete for the #1, but I doubt that would happen.

Also, Pape Diakite hasn't been announced yet, even though Steven Sandor has mentioned that he is signed for 2017. If he somehow doesn't end up in Edmonton for 2017, that would be a big loss at CB.

I m sure, Diakite has an option the team exercised. typical 1 + 1 contract. Maybe there's interest from other clubs. Miller might be negotiating an extension so the club can get a transfer in a after the season.  

Quillan Roberts  Would be a good #3 or Carducci   

Think they need one more striker and a young canadian striker apprentice(#4) aka ajeej sarkaria