Canadian S.C.

Lennon

I was monitoring scores on http://www.futbol24.com/Live/ like I do every Saturday and came upon this team playing in Uruguay's 2nd division!

Canadian S.C. was founded in late 2010 from the need of the community of Uruguayans living in Canada to have a team representing them back home. Its founders are Fernando Aldao and Gustavo Urraburu. Their supporters group is known as La Banda del Norte (the Band of the North) or LBDN and their main rival is Club Atlético Torque.

The club made its official debut in the Uruguayan Segunda División Amateur on 2 October 2011 against Basañez, on a 2-1 home win. Los canadienses won the Clasura title in their second season, earning them a promotion to the Uruguayan Segunda División.

They're currently 10th in the table holding on to the last promotion play off spot. Would be pretty cool to see them in the Primera Division/Copa Libertadores someday :D
(they'll have to do something about that logo though ..)

The article says the Uruguayan second amateur division, not the real second division. Still a cool find. 

It looks like their third division is called the "Uruguayan Segunda Division Amateur". So they won this division and were promoted to the second division proper.

Would be really neat to have an interview with a rep from the club done by any our sites; CSN, Rednation, Fussball Eh etc.  I'd support any plan that we could come up with the show our support to the club. Very cool..I wonder how many players have Canadian ties.  

I always thought this type of idea was neat...my thoughts were to have a Canadian base academy in a Caribbean country playing in their domestic league or training with durning our cold seasons. Perhaps come back to Canada for a summer PDL/League1/PSQL season.

Edited by hamiltonfan

The article says the Uruguayan second amateur division, not the real second division. Still a cool find. 

Actually they are in the second professional division which is the real second division.

The only thing Canadian I can remember that Richard Bucciarelli did help the team train during preseason. And they have Canadian backers. 

Would be really neat to have an interview with a rep from the club done by any our sites; CSN, Rednation, Fussball Eh etc.  I'd support any plan that we could come up with the show our support to the club. Very cool..I wonder how many players have Canadian ties.  

I always thought this type of idea was neat...my thoughts were to have a Canadian base academy in a Caribbean country playing in their domestic league or training with durning our cold seasons. Perhaps come back to Canada for a summer PDL/League1/PSQL season.

I'd love to get in touch with them, but their official website is down and I am not sure how I can reach them. Any ideas?

Crazy. Someone should definitely try and set up an interview with one of the club founders. Perhaps a Voyageurs away trip to Uruguay to check this club out?

I'm on it. Thanks hamiltonfan for digging up that website. Will let you know if I receive a reply. Really excited about this story!

• 2 months later...

There was an article about this club in the Toronto Star on June 11:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2014/06/11/soccer_maple_leaf_making_inroads_in_uruguayan_league.html#

Canadian player content from the article:

Aldao says four Canadians have trained with the club, including 21-year-old defender Andres Fresenga of the Ottawa Fury and Canada’s Under-23 squad, but the goal is to turn that trickle into a torrent.

The first Canadian to play for the team was Toronto’s Ryan Zamora, 22, currently a goalkeeper for the Uruguayan club El Tanque Sisley. He played two games for the club in 2012 and says it felt kind of weird “going to another country but feeling like you’re still repping Canada.”

He says Uruguay can be a culture shock for Canadians, due to rustic facilities and a cutthroat playing style. But he was quick to add that the experience accelerated his development.

“It’s another world,” says Zamora. “Uruguayans play with balls and heart and like every game is their last.”

[...]

Of course, the owners also hope their club will help Canada’s national team return to the World Cup for the first time since 1986.

“In Uruguay people are thinking about soccer every day, like hockey in Canada,” says Aldao. “If we send Canadian players to learn in this environment, they are definitely going to help (Canada’s) national team.”

What can we do to help this club?  Maybe a "Voyageurs player of the year trophy" to be donated to the club as a start?

Really an amazing story that could be huge for our players.  Imagine a young player playing a season or two there?  A pitch in Central America would seem like a golf green in comparison.

We could do a logo design contest and get that badboy up to snuff.  I attempted to do one in my profile pic but am not sure how to load it on to the forum.

Also, we could send Canada paraphernalia to their supporters or maybe help run a equipment drive.

Edited by DigzTFC