Roberto Stillo

juve82

He was on loan only for the year. This is always the hardest part of the year waiting and seeking the best opportunity to play. He will not remain in Perugia to be a back up that is for sure. We wait to see and hear of any interested teams looking for a great keeper, with important experience in games and situations. Something always pops up, but right now it's focusing on camp and proving to everyone he belongs and is part of the future for Canada's success. Thanks for the continued support everyone!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a clue if this is even noteworthy, but instead of being listed on Transfrmarket as being from FC Parma

Stillo is now listed more specifically as on FC Parma Weitere (which apparently translates from German as other?  Sort of a Parma II perhaps?  Not sure?)

I have no idea how this relates to wondering about where Stillo is, but it would SEEM still in the Parma system, along with like 20 other keepers.  I have this sinking feeling that he's gotten lost in that "Italian shuffle" so many players get stuck in, with their extensive systems.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Good find.  Glad that he surfaced somewhere.  He seems to be targeting a move to the 2nd div in Sweden, it says he's training with two 2nd div teams next week.  For whatever reason, the 1st div club that had a look at him and has their manager quoted in that article seems to be saying they really like him but aren't considering bringing him in to their team.

Edited by Footscray

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Whatever happened to Stillo? Seemed like his career was on the ups. 

Still a free agent as far as I can tell, I would have though he'd have found somewhere to play at this point. League1 could be a good route back to the pro game for him at this stage I suppose.

Such a strange career. He spent so much time as a back up in Serie A - how is it possible that he never got a shot to step it up? Does he not have what it takes? Whenever I have seen him play in the past, I always thought he had great abilities. IMO Monsalve and Stillo could have figured into the CMNT much more often then they have...

When I used to update the MOACA I also kept a list of the names of guys who dropped off the list.  It would scare you the number of guys there that had trials at big name clubs and basically fell by the wayside. 

But it just seems like those big team trials of the olden days don't seem to happen much anymore.  Maybe I've been out of the loop too long but I can't remember a worse time for a number of Canadians not playing at a decently high level.

The number of Canadians playing the in the big four numbered few but we had tons of guys playing at the next level ie Bundesliga 2, seems like we can't even get to that level now.  I though MLS was supposed to be the cure for that but I think I'll have to wait for the CPL for Canadians to get an opportunity and then move up the ladder.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Big_M said:

He's now coaching at Milton: https://www.miltonmagic.com/competitive/coaching-contacts

3 years without a club...his pro playing career is probably over. Very unfortunate as he was close to breaking through.

OK, but how much of this was a personal decision on his part?  Was he somehow still linked to his former club and not able to get a free transfer?  Otherwise he could have tried to re-start his career in MLS or NASL, no?  I just feel there's more to the story.

Agreed, though.  Unfortunate he didn't break through overseas.

With all the corruption in Italy it just seems like it's a harder place to get a contract once you've shown that you are good enough. He played a part in Perugia's promotion to serie b but then his loan ended and went back to Parma only to see them go bankrupt and he was out of contract. Uccello went from being under contract with a serie b team to terminating his contract, going on trial with teams in north america and finally ending up in csl and l1o. They might have made mistakes in their decisions but a large part is due to the difficulties in the country.

Wow. How depressing is it that at one point (2008-09) we had FOUR Keepers born in 1991 plying their trade in European academies and only one (JLL) is still playing in the German lower leagues.

edit: make that FIVE keepers, forgot about DeBellis.

Edited by jpg75

16 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Wow. How depressing is it that at one point (2008-09) we had FOUR Keepers born in 1991 plying their trade in European academies and only one (JLL) is still playing in the German lower leagues.

edit: make that FIVE keepers, forgot about DeBellis.

Who were the other 2? 

• 4 months later...