Roberto Stillo

juve82

Amazing that I've been hearing about Stillo for so long and have yet to see him play.  Why was he not even on the squads for the 2011 U20s or the 2012 U23s?  

Top level training is great, but not playing games that matter must be what is holding him back.  As a comparison, Milan Borjan (FK Rad), "Thunder" Dan Fernandes (PAOK) and Assmear Begovic (Stoke) were all starting for their clubs at 23 years old.  

I really hope Stillo can make the break through.  We've had so many promising keepers fail to make it as pros lately, the MNT starting spot is being gifted to Borjan.  (Wagenaar, Giacomi, Street, Misiewicz, Latendresse-Levesque etc etc etc).

I really hope Stillo can make the break through.  We've had so many promising keepers fail to make it as pros lately, the MNT starting spot is being gifted to Borjan.  (Wagenaar, Giacomi, Street, Misiewicz, Latendresse-Levesque etc etc etc).

JLL and Stillo are the same age.  Still a little early to count him out.  I think the both of them are very good prospects.

JLL and Stillo are the same age.  Still a little early to count him out.  I think the both of them are very good prospects.

Yeah actually, ever since LOK Leipzig started utilizing JLL as their first keeper, they have made a serious comeback and might still prevent relegation!

This is a reality in the soccer world we have found. If you are playing in divisions starting or not in 4th 5th ect. Agents and teams will see you only as a keeper that can play at a certain level and your progress to what level you will reach will be limited and you won't be able to play higher. That's why we have opted not to go below 3rd division and were so close to going into a few games in Seria A on occasions being a second keeper. If you aren't there, you can't be ready to go in and play. Simple as that. Even in Perugia this year as the second, he was called to play in red cad situations and gained valuable points helping them earn the title and promotion. I'm hoping he starts next year somewhere as he has earned it and shown he is more than capable. You need more than skill, you need luck and a team and agent that believe in you no matter what which has been hard to come by. He is still in the mix

because he has undeniable skill and passion to succeed. We are so close we can taste the success!

This is a reality in the soccer world we have found. If you are playing in divisions starting or not in 4th 5th ect. Agents and teams will see you only as a keeper that can play at a certain level and your progress to what level you will reach will be limited and you won't be able to play higher. That's why we have opted not to go below 3rd division and were so close to going into a few games in Seria A on occasions being a second keeper. If you aren't there, you can't be ready to go in and play. Simple as that. Even in Perugia this year as the second, he was called to play in red cad situations and gained valuable points helping them earn the title and promotion. I'm hoping he starts next year somewhere as he has earned it and shown he is more than capable. You need more than skill, you need luck and a team and agent that believe in you no matter what which has been hard to come by. He is still in the mix

because he has undeniable skill and passion to succeed. We are so close we can taste the success!

Thanks so much for keeping us so informed!

Thanks very much for keeping us updated on Roberto's progress. Please let him know that he has a ton of fans across the country supporting him.

Appreciate the support and Roberto does as we'll believe me. Here is another fact regarding playing time that most don't realize. If you get playing time on a lower division team and the team doesn't do well or you get many goals against because the team is weak, that's is almost unrecoverable as a keeper as agents and teams will look not at your minutes but goals against. Your team selection is crucial for your success and even if it's limited playing time, you are better off in the stats department. There is a reason he was successful and had a contract with Genoa CFC and now is with Parma CFC. If you don't have talent or potential, they just don't offer anyone contracts.

It's been a long road for him and us as a family. We have learned a lot about the soccer world and how it operates and how very difficult it is to carve out a place especially as a Canadian kid. I would have to say that what has been the hardest thing to endure has been how hard we have had to fight to get Roberto recognized by his own country and given a chance to provoke himself. Agendas and politics are everywhere and Canada is no different. I'm actually thrilled that a new coach is in place and the old riff raff is somewhat out and hope that he has an eye for talent and a fresh eye for where to get Canada and that is a World Cup!

No offence, but it's a little disingenuous to say most of us don't realize it...a lot of us are extremely avid sports fans on here, we know how the biz works!  I won't further argue the point, but will add my voice to those that is a Stillo fan and hope for great things for him!

No offence, but it's a little disingenuous to say most of us don't realize it...a lot of us are extremely avid sports fans on here, we know how the biz works!  I won't further argue the point, but will add my voice to those that is a Stillo fan and hope for great things for him!

Papa stillz does provide an interesting viewpoint though.  There are a lot of people here that see our players on the bench and immediately suggest that they move somewhere else for playing time.  It gets a little frustrating to read that over and over and his thinking seems to indicate that doing that can be counter-productive for someone's career, which is interesting.  The only thing I don't know is whether he is talking about keepers in particular or all players in general.

Papa stillz?

Papa stillz does provide an interesting viewpoint though.  There are a lot of people here that see our players on the bench and immediately suggest that they move somewhere else for playing time.  It gets a little frustrating to read that over and over and his thinking seems to indicate that doing that can be counter-productive for someone's career, which is interesting.  The only thing I don't know is whether he is talking about keepers in particular or all players in general.

Papa stillz?

He is talking about keepers in particular. This kind of talk worries me for Lucas Menz and Julien LL. Hopefully there are different paths to success :-).

I can only speak from our experience for the keeper position. We have been in Europe, (Italy) for 8 years now and seen and been part of a lot of scenarios. A player may jump from a fourth division to a third or maybe even a second if he tuffs it out and is patient. We have found that being the best or better than the person playing isn't a guarantee you will see the field, yet if you are called on, expected to be at the level or better than the starter. Very much the case this year in Perugia where we signed only because of playing time and then we're back doored by club purchasing the starter who was on loan as the season started. Why would they play Roberto when they have money now invested in that guy? Precisley, and no matter how bad that kid played, he never came off or never failed to start next game. That sent a clear message to us and this is the sort of things readers aren't privy to as they ask, why he isn't playing. It goes on behind doors for many players especially in Europe. I will guarantee you this that starting in lower divisions as a keeper will absolutely end your carreer in lower divisions until you decide to pack it in. Thanks for the interest.

Seeing that they were champions, he can't have been that bad. I mean I understand about club politics, but all the coach wants to do is win. His head is on the chopping block if he doesn't. 

Another point of critique is that I think Germany and Italy are worlds apart, not only when it's about soccer culture.

Edited by shamrock

I hear you...reading a lot of the responses, and then checking in on the boards for the past, it would seem you are right, most don't realize how tough it is to move up in divisions when you start low, and the perception created.

I would have thought that even the example of guys like Saiko at home here would be telling enough as to how tough it is to get recognition in lower leagues, at least from an international perspective.  There ARE players that move from NASL to MLS, of course, but even that is not the norm.  Going from League 4 in a country right to League 1?  Very tough.  That's why stories like Jay Demerit are so interesting, is because of the rarity. 

Again, there will be posters that cite this or that other example, but the truth is, they are exceptions rather than the rule.

Roberto was in net minutes ago as the team won the supercup beating the winning team of the other C1 division making them the top team in C1. This gives Roberto a national title and supercup with Genoa CFCs primavera and now a promotion to B and league title and supercup win with Perugia. really proud of his accomplishments and best of all " Made in Canada"!