Roberto Stillo

juve82

As an Italian from Montreal, this is all FANTASTIC ... except for that cap he's wearing during that interview.  What the hell is that?!  :)

LOL Addona!

It's just a little piece of home where he is from to help him keep grounded! There will always be haters for those leafs and I can't say I blame you as it's been way to long waiting between cups! Thanks for the support even if you are a Habs fan!

From an old Steve Sandor interview. I'm not sure if he put it up on the11.ca or not. But Wojtek quickly became my favourite football playing-Hockey fan. 

Wojtek Zarzycki wearing #99 when he was at Ferencvaros, as a homage to The Great One. 

Robert has been in Italy 7 1/2 years, 5 of which he went through Genoa CFC youth system including 2 years first team bench with close to 30 Seria A bench appearances. Long time and lots of great experiences training and especially when it came to learning language

Robert has been in Italy 7 1/2 years, 5 of which he went through Genoa CFC youth system including 2 years first team bench with close to 30 Seria A bench appearances. Long time and lots of great experiences training and especially when it came to learning language

My family (in law) live in Salerno and I have adopted Salernitana as my Italian home team but I might have to hope for a Perugia shutout on April 27th if Roberto Stillo starts.

Koprevic is far from reliable and makes so many mistakes its really unbelievable to watch. When you get to certain levels in the game, its not about who is better, but who is going to make the team the most money when he is sold. Koprevic cant play at the next level from every account, which is why they got Robert on loan from Parma FC for the year. Before the season started, after we had signed, they purchased Koprevic outright from Udinese. We were not happy because we knew that they would not play Robert unless necessary and give playing time to someone that was just on loan. You give the playing time to Koprevic, hope he plays well, to increase his value and sell him next season. they have already started looking for new keepers. they also wont take Robert even though he has proven to be the better keeper with little playing time if he stays in B division. So we will move on to a better scenario for him And now you only know just a little bit more of the story!

Papa stillz are you willing to share if he will go back to Parma then out for a new loan next season? I'm assuming they are not happy either as they likely expected him to gain significantly more playing experience. I am sure we all eagerly await seeing Roberto get a number one slot somewhere to follow him week in week out. 

To early to tell at the moment Havoc88, as he is heading into final 3 games of the season. It seems everything in this business is done last minute and the deals are done behind closed doors as we found out this year when they bought Koprevic after we signed. We will be looking at all options closely and our intention is always to start no matter where we go! Thanks for asking. 

The pedigree your referring to is starting MLS goalkeeping. Stillo's experience (among other things) trumps that of a typical MLS backup keeper. A chance to get into an MLS camp as # 2nd keeper and you very well may be a game or two away from entering the starting keeping caliber conversation.  (great example of the importance for our professional domestic game)

Would really help if Canadians would get the domestic stamp on American teams...  

The pedigree your referring to is starting MLS goalkeeping. Stillo's experience (among other things) trumps that of a typical MLS backup keeper. A chance to get into an MLS camp as # 2nd keeper and you very well may be a game or two away from entering the starting keeping caliber conversation.  (great example of the importance for our professional domestic game)

Would really help if Canadians would get the domestic stamp on American teams...  

Maybe...but those backup keepers were starting in third tier Italy.  As for backup keeper, I'd like to see him get on starting somewhere, though, but that's just personal preference/semantics.  Take Borjan almost getting on at Napoli for a backup keeper spot.  That's actually a pretty good spot, because you are training with players of the highest level...but the preference is always to be the starter.  Especially as a keeper, where unless there is a red card situation, the spot is normally pretty much a lock.

I'm not sure why an MLS team would take a guy who's top credibility at the moment is bench of third tier Italy and call him a starter, not sure they'd call him a bench guy yet either.

For me, though, Stillo is a great keeper and an MLS team should be happy to have him starting for them...his talent is of that level, in my opinion, and talent will eventually shine through...so Stillo in MLS?  It's not impossible...just not likely at THIS juncture.  

Valid points, you also have the MLS backups that played at a mid level ncaa school. The pressures, training, level of competition of a ncaa teams pail in comparison to the pro environments RS has endured.

I wonder what Stillo makes at Perugia in comparison to those backup keepers?  Honestly curious :)

• 3 weeks later...

Any Kid especially a Canadian kid would love to train day in and out for years in a Seria A environment with keepers like Robinhio from Brazil, Scarpi, Marco Amelia, Buffon's Back up for years, Eduardo from Portugal, Stefan Frey and Mattia Perin who starts for Genoa now and who Robert played back up to in the youth division. He is one of Italy's national team keepers. Training every day, being on bench for games as the #2 or #3, is still a huge experience. The players he has trained with is endless and can't get that in the MLS no matter how hard you try. He has been the little fish in the big pond for sure, but wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. The training and the game requirements for keepers are at a higher level as well. His footwork, Brazilian Kicks, and technical aspects of the game in Seria A, are just not something you aquire in MLS. I would love to see him play for the Toronto one day down the road for sure......just not now as he is making a name for himself in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Roberto wins a promotion into Seria B, after Perugia was trying for 9 years to do so! His hard work and steady work ethic being ready to play in any situation was pivotal point in winning season. Another big step for him, and also another milestone for the Canadian kid adding the promotion to B to a national scudetto primavera title and supercup victory with Genoa. He certainly has being doing something right. He is also looking forward to wearing the maple leaf for the best country in the world,

post-2347-0-27730700-1399839665_thumb.jp

post-2347-0-86269700-1399839684_thumb.jp

post-2347-0-35964900-1399839708_thumb.jp

post-2347-0-23292300-1399839740_thumb.jp

He has been called to camp and will wear the flag proudly. Hopefully they will give him an opportunity not like last time flying him in and not showing him a minute of field time in a friendliest after out performing Lars and Thomas in camp. Guess the agenda to get Thomas signed and playing back fired for Fonseca and the White caps. You can only keep talent down so long and you only hurt the country of your future talent by doing so. Roberto has quietly won titles and developed and those who follow him, know of his sacrifices and we thank them so much for all the support he receives. This kid bleeds Red and white!