New Canadians abroad

Blackdude

On 6/7/2021 at 1:25 AM, _Vic_ said:

PSG are losing players and rumoured to be losing more. Most noticeable is central defender Irene Paredes who scored the second goal and is their captain and the leader of the team. She signed for Champions League winners Barcelona (she's from Basque country) as did Norway's 5'10" central midfielder Ingrid Syrstad Engen coming in from Wolfsburg.

I don't know that PSG won the French league or made it to the Champions League semi's over Lyon inasmuch as Ada Hegerberg didn't play a minute this year due to injury. In both competitions they were virtually dead even with PSG going through by the away goals rule and a single point. Hegerberg is the all-time Champions League leading scorer, with 53 goals in 50 games. If she was healthy PSG would be another footnote in another Lyon title.

Paredes is a very strong addition to Barça, we really only have the two central backs. 

Some are saying that Engen may not be necessary, as we have a strong midfield. Others argue we may lose Hamraoui. Oshala might also be on her way out. 

Seems players will change if they can to get a slight salary rise, and it makes sense. 

BTW I think Fleming looked good these last matches and I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought they could give her more minutes than where she is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those are qualifiers to get into the final rounds, I believe, I see they are playing them as home and away.

Women's CL really is trying to get deeper. I think this year a total of 72 teams are in the mix. There are two preliminary rounds, and it is set up to try to get teams from more federations involved later in the process. 

Instead of getting to a final 16 and doing home and away knockouts (which meant you'd get three CL home games before reaching the final), they go to four groups of 4 and do a proper group stage. So if you make it to the final 16, and some rather fragile teams often to, you get some more experience against the better sides. 

And a lot more money this year too. And I believe UEFA will be throwing it at the domestic home leagues and teams in them too if you do well and progress in the tournament.

There are two paths right now, the winners path and the runners up and third place team path.

They are playing mini tournaments right now. Basically four teams in a group and they play a semi and the winners go to the final and the winner of that goes on. I think the losers on day one play for third place in the group for points.

Edited by _Vic_

7 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

And a lot more money this year too. And I believe UEFA will be throwing it at the domestic home leagues and teams in them too if you do well and progress in the tournament.

There are two paths right now, the winners path and the runners up and third place team path.

They are playing mini tournaments right now. Basically four teams in a group and they play a semi and the winners go to the final and the winner of that goes on. I think the losers on day one play for third place in the group for points.

Yes, I see you are right, they are not in knock-outs, but group prelim stages.

They are raising the amount of matches played between clubs of different federations. This gets everyone up a notch, in installations, in tv production, has to raise reffing as you get a lot more international reffing experiences involved, fans get to see teams from other places. That has to inevitably help some of the weaker member associations. And attract sponsors.

48 minutes ago, rkomar said:

This game will be shown on SN1 at 3pm Eastern time.  I'll probably check it out to see how Beckie is doing there.

I watched the game this morning, Beckie had a great match she threaded the needle twice the first time on a pass that led to MC first goal then scored herself. she also hit the wood work once.

Edited by mtlfan

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 12:07 PM, red card said:

Buchanan goal? or OG? in Champions League action - on DAZN & their youtube channel.

That's an interesting clip. The ref seems to go up to Kadeisha and ask her if she touched it, which seems unusual. Then tv follows the rival player after, sure it was an own goal.

I know this opinion is unpopular, but if there is any place that could argue for a Superleague in terms of competition level, it is European women's football. There is still too big a gap between the top tier and the next tier, even when in the new Champions group stages. 

Just to be clear, I am in favour of the gap being exposed, as it is the only way to close it, clearly. But for fans there are still too many blowouts in this round.

• 3 weeks later...