Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I seriously don’t understand why people are still engaging him.  Muting someone is easy and it just eliminates the silly chatter.  

Or, you know how we have a thread for discussing CPL attendance and then one for questioning CPL attendance figures?  Maybe we need this thread for discussing Osorio and another one for people who just want to trash him.

Is it possible to have a discussion about him without the palaver?

Marsch, obviously, values the intelligence and usual composure he brings to a system being learned by an often inexperienced and frantic team.

Eustaquio provides the same in my book.  But he is mightily needed further back and honestly his lack of club minutes might begin to wear on his sharpness.

Both players can be further forward as we are trying score more goals but for me that's Kone's best role.

My best 3 man midfield has Kone and Eustaquio with the freedom to get forward and smartly interchange and another who as least has a ton of pace to hold and mop up.

For me, no first team place for Osorio but he can certainly fulfill a needed role and teach others a lot.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Marsch, obviously, values the intelligence and usual composure he brings to a system being learned by an often inexperienced and frantic team.

Eustaquio provides the same in my book.  But he is mightily needed further back and honestly his lack of club minutes might begin to wear on his sharpness.

Both players can be further forward as we are trying score more goals but for me that's Kone's best role.

My best 3 man midfield has Kone and Eustaquio with the freedom to get forward and smartly interchange and another who as least has a ton of pace to hold and mop up.

For me, no first team place for Osorio but he can certainly fulfill a needed role and teach others a lot.

Sure, if he wants a role as a player advisor. That is fine. But he has no business being in the National Team mix anymore as a player. He’s taking opportunities away from those more deserving. At best for TFC, he’s a bench player who comes on for the last 20-30min. His goal doesn’t mask TFC’s issues of needing a true #10 to displace him.

Edited by anthony7

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think your assessment is accurate, except I'd add that he still gets first team minutes when we have consecutive matches as recently when he was a sub against the US but started against Mexico.  Unfortunately for him, by 2026 that will likely have dropped to subbing only, so he may not get the chance to play for Canada in the World Cup in Toronto.

2 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Sure, if he wants a role as a player advisor. That is fine. But he has no business being in the National Team mix anymore as a player. He’s taking opportunities away from those more deserving. At best for TFC, he’s a bench player who comes on for the last 20-30min. His goal doesn’t mask TFC’s issues of needing a true #10 displace him.

The pecking order in the national team seems to be Kone, Eustaquio, Choiniere, Osorio, then maybe Saliba according to the latest roster selection. Who is Osorio taking a spot from currently? Piette? Fraser? Paton? Kaye? Sensible responses only. If your answer is anyone but Osorio, don't bother responding to me. 

I'll grant you that Sigur should project to be 3 or 4 in the depth chart, either just ahead or just behind of Choiniere.

Edited by Obinna

On 9/14/2024 at 1:04 PM, shermanator said:

As Canada got hot in World Cup Qualifiers there was an abundance of Umbro jerseys on sale at SVP Sports for $20 a jersey. Ebay sellers bought up the stock, added name / numbers of the World Cup roster, and are selling them at significant markup.

This seller for example has 2016 home shirts of players who wouldn't make their debuts until years later (Jonathan David, Tajon Buchanan, Stephen Eustaquio, Vanessa Gilles). Alphonso Davies jerseys have #19 when he wore #12 at the time. Borjan shirts are the regular home/away. They've done the same with MLS or NHL jerseys too: https://www.ebay.ca/str/heroesnlegends

So the jerseys aren't fake but anyone buying them at near the price they are listed at is a complete sucker. If you want a Sinclair or a Hutchinson jersey I'm sure they are great...

Thanks for the insight, quite a smart business move on the individual who did this. 

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The pecking order in the national team seems to be Kone, Eustaquio, Choiniere, Osorio, then maybe Saliba according to the latest roster selection. Who is Osorio taking a spot from currently? Piette? Fraser? Paton? Kaye? Sensible responses only. If your answer is anyone but Osorio, don't bother responding to me. 

I'll grant you that Sigur should project to be 3 or 4 in the depth chart, either just ahead or just behind of Choiniere.

Right now he’s taking minutes from Saliba & Sigur. For the longest time, he was taking minutes from Choinere & to an extent Ahmed. It’s time for him to kick rocks now. At this point, it’s just pure favouritism for his selection.

Edited by anthony7

19 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Right now he’s taking minutes from Saliba & Sigur. For the longest time he was taking minutes from Choinere & to an extent Ahmed. It’s time for him to kick rocks now. At this point, it’s just pure favouritism for his selection.

Every selection is favouritism, but honestly thank you for a post that isn’t just random Osorio-bashing and contributes to the discussion. I think you’re right in the sense that the guys you have named are all midfielders, and all ones we would project will pass Oso in the depth chart soon if they haven’t already. On a closer inspection though, Oso’s “game” (whatever you think of him, and no need to repeat it, we know what you think of him) is not the same game as these guys, and that’s likely why he still gets selected and gets some time. If he were a 6, he would definitely be taking time from Sigur and Saliba and be in direct competition with them. If he were a box-to-box 8 he would be in direct competition with Choiniere. He’s definitely not a wing/midfielder like Ahmed, although I think Ahmed can play a little more centrally, so in that sense they are a little more in competition. Oso’s game is 10-ish — get the ball in tight spaces in the final third and find a tricky pass. Also, join the rush and follow in as the late midfielder on crosses. Is he the best in the world at it? No. Is he top 3 in Canada at it? At the moment I would say so. And so would Jesse Marsch apparently. So when people here are giving you stick for you slagging him, that’s what we’re wondering — who else plays “that version” of a midfield role that is losing time to Oso unfairly? More specifically, who isn’t getting called because Oso is? Name one. All the other guys are now getting into camp and they are all getting the chance to impress JM and battle for spots. Name a deserving guy who isn’t getting that chance right now. We’ll wait. 

Edited by shorty

28 minutes ago, shorty said:

Every selection is favouritism, but honestly thank you for a post that isn’t just random Osorio-bashing and contributes to the discussion. I think you’re right in the sense that the guys you have named are all midfielders, and all ones we would project will pass Oso in the depth chart soon if they haven’t already. On a closer inspection though, Oso’s “game” (whatever you think of him, and no need to repeat it, we know what you think of him) is not the same game as these guys, and that’s likely why he still gets selected and gets some time. If he were a 6, he would definitely be taking time from Sigur and Saliba and be in direct competition with them. If he were a box-to-box 8 he would be in direct competition with Choiniere. He’s definitely not a wing/midfielder like Ahmed, although I think Ahmed can play a little more centrally, so in that sense they are a little more in competition. Oso’s game is 10-ish — get the ball in tight spaces in the final third and find a tricky pass. Also, join the rush and follow in as the late midfielder on crosses. Is he the best in the world at it? No. Is he top 3 in Canada at it? At the moment I would say so. And so would Jesse Marsch apparently. So when people here are giving you stick for you slagging him, that’s what we’re wondering — who else plays “that version” of a midfield role that is losing time to Oso unfairly? More specifically, who isn’t getting called because Oso is? Name one. All the other guys are now getting into camp and they are all getting the chance to impress JM and battle for spots. Name a deserving guy who isn’t getting that chance right now. We’ll wait. 

I’m sorry but I disagree. In Canada’s best games under Marsh, ie; France, Venezuela & the U.S, he went with a 4-4-2 formation or the 4-3-3 formation. Canada is now blessed with solid midfielders in Kone, Sigur, Choinere and Saliba who have the athleticism to cover that ground and the smarts to be progressive. Playing the odd 4-2-3-1 to compensate someone in the team who isn’t even a true #10 is tactically naive. Osorio is slow, has no athleticism and quite honestly doesn’t fit Marsh’s system at all. I’m sorry, but he really doesn’t have any business being in this squad at this point. I even think Piette would be a better fit in terms of midfield options. Eustaquio and Piette were great together against Uruguay before the World Cup. The guy hasn’t even got a sniff since the World Cup, has been a loyal servant and is in better form than Osorio. He would fit better in a holding/destroyer role. Freeing up Kone, Eustaquio, Choinere to be more offensive.

Edited by anthony7

20 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

I’m sorry but I disagree. In Canada’s best games under Marsh, ie; France, Venezuela & the U.S, he went with a 4-4-2 formation or the 4-3-3 formation. Canada is now blessed with solid midfielders in Kone, Sigur, Choinere and Saliba who have the athleticism to cover that ground and the smarts to be progressive. Playing the odd 4-2-3-1 to compensate someone in the team who isn’t even a true #10 is tactically naive. Osorio is slow, has no athleticism and quite honestly doesn’t fit Marsh’s system at all. I’m sorry, but he really doesn’t have any business being in this squad at this point. I even think Piette would be a better fit in terms of midfield options. Eustaquio and Piette were great together against Uruguay before the World Cup. The guy hasn’t even got a sniff since the World Cup, has been a loyal servant and is in better form than Osorio. He would fit better in a holding/destroyer role. Freeing up Kone, Eustaquio, Choinere to be more offensive.

You may be jumping the gun here. Although I think Saliba has great potential, he still hasn't proven he can start in the midfield against top level competition. I've watched every one of his games. His level of play has not lapped Osorio's.

As for Sigur, he is 20 years old. Have you seen him play? All I have to go on is 10-15 minutes against Mexico and the praises of Croatian media.

Also, I don't think Choiniere has overtaken Oso yet and that's another player I followed during his MLS stint. For me the difference between the two is tactics. They bring different elements to the game. 

Edited by Sal333

12 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You may be jumping the gun here. Although I think Saliba has great potential, he still hasn't proven he can start in the midfield against top level competition. I've watched every one of his games. His level of play has not lapped Osorio's.

As for Sigur, he is 20 years old. Have you seen him play? All I have to go on is 10-15 minutes against Mexico and the praises of Croatian media.

Also, I don't think Choiniere has overtaken Oso yet and that's another player I followed during his MLS stint. For me the difference between the two is tactics. They bring different elements to the game. 

I’m sorry, but it’s people like you why this country can’t take the next steps to succeed. Choinere, a two time MLS ALL Star who just showed his quality in both friendlies isn’t better than Osorio overall? The guy has to go to Europe now in order to get ahead of this guy. Like are you kidding me right now? Saliba has all the tools to succeed, he just needs opportunity. This is a player that should be integrated into the team now in order to have a role in 2026. He could have easily gotten minutes off the bench in this window. He’s solid and I’ve seen what Kilbane has said about him. If you give Sigur garbage minutes, you’ll never know what you truly have. Like look at what happened with Kone. Please tell me what attributes Osorio has over Choinere and Saliba right now? Because quite honestly, what you’re saying is complete bullshit.

1 hour ago, anthony7 said:

I’m sorry, but it’s people like you why this country can’t take the next steps to succeed. Choinere, a two time MLS ALL Star who just showed his quality in both friendlies isn’t better than Osorio overall? The guy has to go to Europe now in order to get ahead of this guy. Like are you kidding me right now? Saliba has all the tools to succeed, he just needs opportunity. This is a player that should be integrated into the team now in order to have a role in 2026. He could have easily gotten minutes off the bench in this window. He’s solid and I’ve seen what Kilbane has said about him. If you give Sigur garbage minutes, you’ll never know what you truly have. Like look at what happened with Kone. Please tell me what attributes Osorio has over Choinere and Saliba right now? Because quite honestly, what you’re saying is complete bullshit.

Quite frankly you're all over the board or to use another cliche you constantly move the goalposts.

You accuse Marsch of favouritism and blocking the young midfielders by playing Osorio yet you just admitted that Choiniere played both friendlies. So who is Osorio blocking? Sigur? A 20 year old who just joined the NT and had to be integrated into the new system and on top of that was nursing a knock.

Jeeze, man, make some sense. 

8 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Quite frankly you're all over the board or to use another cliche you constantly move the goalposts.

You accuse Marsch of favouritism and blocking the young midfielders by playing Osorio yet you just admitted that Choiniere played both friendlies. So who is Osorio blocking? Sigur? A 20 year old who just joined the NT and had to be integrated into the new system and on top of that was nursing a knock.

Jeeze, man, make some sense. 

Choinere only now just got his real chance this past window. Other than that 3rd place game against Uruguay at Copa, Osorio has been eating this guys minutes. Same goes with Ali Ahmed. Again, and without warrant as Osorio has been bad overall for TFC. I fear that Sigur and Saliba will go through the same hell in order to compensate for this choker.

See, Anthony, I would be prepared to agree with you on some points (Choiniere deserving of a call earlier than he got one) but you won’t get any respect insulting people here for their opinions and not dialing back your dislike of Osorio. We get it, you don’t like him… but the depth of it sounds personal and makes no allowances for others to disagree. I liked Teibert back in the day and thought he was useful in certain ways. Others really didn’t. But nobody accused me of being a symptom of Canada’s failures over it. That’s not having a conversation and debate. That’s just unfriendly nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, shorty said:

See, Anthony, I would be prepared to agree with you on some points (Choiniere deserving of a call earlier than he got one) but you won’t get any respect insulting people here for their opinions and not dialing back your dislike of Osorio. We get it, you don’t like him… but the depth of it sounds personal and makes no allowances for others to disagree. I liked Teibert back in the day and thought he was useful in certain ways. Others really didn’t. But nobody accused me of being a symptom of Canada’s failures over it. That’s not having a conversation and debate. That’s just unfriendly nonsense. 

I understand but it’s frustrating when he gets to stick around while others get phased out. Especially, since he’s choked for Canada in recent times and does not warrant a place on the squad anymore. Tiebert was called up on warrant and was not taking minutes from those more deserving. Big difference.

Edited by anthony7

That's the thing.  You need veteran heads (to a point)  I'm sure (or at least I would hope) that Anthony would agree Michael Bradley was around WAY too long, but he was important to have around even as he was slowing down -- but like I say, to a point.  Since I'm also guessing Anthony doesn't feel that Oso was always shit, I'm betting he feels Oso is past it.  I disagree, but that time is coming.  It came for MB and nothing was done.  It came for Teibert, and as good a soldier as he was for the Caps, he was kept around a little too long (though not used every game the way MB was... travesty)  The other thing is coaching and tactical changes make a big difference.  Choiniere did get a shot under Herdman in the Japan game, but Marsch's tactical setup suits MC better than JH's, which is in part why we're seeing him more now.  Also, JH was more likely than JM to stick with guys he knew and not rock the boat.  So, adaptable is right, and also experienced -- Oso is slowing down but (sorry Anthony) is far from a passenger.  Factually.  Not an opinion.  The man works hard.  So did Teibert, and so did MB.  They all reached a point where working hard wasn't enough.  Anthony thinks that for Oso that time is now.  Or yesterday.  I would venture to say that most of us here disagree.  But that day is coming and probably soon.  

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

Guys it wasn't even that amazing of a goal. He just got lucky. It was just a routine shot that any professional should be able to make. He didn't even earn the right to take that shot because Kerr did all the hard work to get him the ball. Oso the passenger strikes again and I am not talking about the ball. Weak ass goal. The MLS Twitter account is just making a big deal about it to protect him. 

- Anthony 

I checked carefully, the ball just bounced off his foot.  He shouldn't even get credit for it.