2013 CSL Season

The strange press releases continue:

http://canadiansoccerleague.com/newsnet/templates/?a=695&z=5

The CSL sought clarification from the arbitrator following the CSA’s announcement of an early de-sanctioning time, and Justice Hugh L. Fraser re-affirmed that February 13, 2014 is the earliest date by which the CSA can de-sanction the CSL.

If I was trying to market a soccer league, I don't think I'd place something prominently on the website that highlights that it's all over on Feb 14th 2014 where sanctioning from the association is concerned.

The way the entire thing is phrased is curious, from the title, "CSA BEGRUDGING IN ITS ACCEPTANCE OF ARBITRATION RULING" to the opening paragraph:

With a surprising – or not so surprising statement from the Canadian Soccer Association, the national governing body has created confusion about the one-year re-instatement of the Canadian Soccer League back to full playing status.

... followed by...

The CSA statement came in response to a ruling on April 23 by arbitrator Justice Hugh L. Fraser that the CSA will have to wait until February 13, 2014 – a full 12 months – if they wish to de-sanction the CSL.

From my reading of the decision, Justice Fraser did not state that, but rather stated that the CSA decision to de-sanction would "come into effect" on that date.

The other interesting thing about that press release... no twitter announcement/etc. Just appeared.

Archived