Alan Gordon = Ahole

tmcmurph

What a strike by Johnson! yeah, the wall did not jump much at all, but did you catch the name of the SJ defended who did not even jump? Not saying that he could have got his head on it, but a bit of effort would have been nice. Was there some national collusion going on?

You missed Gordon's (the poster lol) primary point. The point is that 30 years ago, directing a racial slur at a black player was defended "acceptable behaviour" under the circumstances. That has now changed, at least in decent society. Hopefully it won't take as long for homphobic slurs to achieve the same status. It should not be acceptable under any circumstances. Period. There are no nuances, exceptions or subtleties about it. I am sure you are not homophobic Keenan, but you sure don't seem to get it. It doesn't matter if any of the parties involved are gay, homophobic, or even male. In another post you equate the remark to challenging someone's manhood. Really, you define 'manhood' but sexual preference? Think about that, under that way of thinking Keenan, Mark Bingham had questionable manhood. Try "chicken ****" or "yellow belly" if you're against cussing. I would, however, recomend against "fraidy cat" unless it is an under 9 league.

I get that point. But in order for it to be an accurate comparison it would need to be a slur directed at a homophobic player, as Grizz said a racial comparison in this case would be two white players calling each other the N word and that obviously isn't a logical comparison in culture and especially on the football pitch. Racism and homophobia are the two closest comparisons you can make, but they are also so far apart as Matt said. The thing I don't like about this whole scenario is that it is getting him 3 games for being homophobic... but if he called Johnson a "cock sucker" or told him to "get bent". That would also be homophobic no? Would he get 3 games? No. It's just a flaw I find in this whole thing. Where do you draw the line? They're all homophobic, just as numerous other racial terms.

I get that point. But in order for it to be an accurate comparison it would need to be a slur directed at a homophobic player, as Grizz said a racial comparison in this case would be two white players calling each other the N word and that obviously isn't a logical comparison in culture and especially on the football pitch. Racism and homophobia are the two closest comparisons you can make, but they are also so far apart as Matt said. The thing I don't like about this whole scenario is that it is getting him 3 games for being homophobic... but if he called Johnson a "cock sucker" or told him to "get bent". That would also be homophobic no? Would he get 3 games? No. It's just a flaw I find in this whole thing. Where do you draw the line? They're all homophobic, just as numerous other racial terms.

You have spent the whole thread minimizing the offence and making it seem like a wrong has been done against Gordon because "boys will be boys and everyone has used that insult at some time" because you perceive an injustice because another offensive term might not be punished? That like most of what you posted in this thread makes no sense. Do you actually know of an incidence where "cocksucker" has been used and not punished or what MLS' policy is towards that word? And even if there were an imbalance in the way each word was dealt with how does that change the legitimacy of the punishment given to Gordon?

Gordon made a homophobic slur and was appropriately punished. There are no if, ands or buts about it.

Archived