Spencer Richey

25 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

hmmm..."breaking through"whats the barometer for that reason and breaking through where? because Ousted doesn't look like he's leaving anytime soon.

Right, because it's guaranteed that veterans stay healthy? Ask Bono this season how that goes

No one is saying Richey is a key addition, but there is zero downside to another lottery ticket in the GK sweepstakes

On 8/3/2016 at 0:32 PM, masster said:

That tweet is from 3 years ago.

Has to be. We knew he was potentially eligible even before he joined the Whitecaps. People were talking about him being an awesome prospect but we would lose him to the States. Then he had nasty injury and was shelved for a while, never progressed from there and ended up with Whitcaps II.

Okay SOOOOOOO I asked a quesiton, got a another question. Since you asked, I'll answer...

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Right, because it's guaranteed that veterans stay healthy? Ask Bono this season how that goes

Not guaranteed!, but is it guaranteed that he plays as the back up? Ask Roberts how that goes, or Crepeau (the alleged number twos)

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

No one is saying Richey is a key addition, but there is zero downside to another lottery ticket in the GK sweepstakes

And I didn't disagree or say anything contrary to this. All I stated was right now we have better options, and more then enough GKs who are currently on par or better than Richey and are born Canadians who have been in the system....need I list?

33 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Rollins says he needs the landed thing. Does Canada not offer what other countries do in citizenship through a parent or grandparent? 

Currently, you get automatic citizenship through your parent for 1 generation (ie if you left Canada and had a child, they would get citizenship, but your child would have to return and live in Canada if their child was to gain citizenship).

However, the way citizenship is transmitted through generations has changed several times, and depending on the forms filled out by Richey's parent born to his grandmother, he might already be a citizen, though it's fairly unlikely. 

Here's a questionnaire that allows you go figure out which set of rules an individual gets grandfather claused into:

https://na1.se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=2ef61151-7536-4ca7-b509-bd1cb5286a4c

Edit: Granted, the main obstacle to playing for Canada is the FIFA 5 year waiting period. If he's always been eligible by their criteria, and he just needs a passport, he wouldn't be far off anyway. 

Now. . . I'm still not sure he'd be eligible for us. My understanding of the one time switch (he played for US U17) is that you had to be eligible for the country you are switching to at the time of game you played for the other youth side. Does that mean he would have had to have citizenship back then? Or is the grandparent enough to maintain his eligibility? 

This ignores the fact that exceptions have been granted, but really, if we are gunning on an exception we would use it for Laba or Koffie, not Richey

Edited by Complete Homer

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

If his grandmother was born in Canada then Richey was eligible for the NT since he was born. He is therefore able to file a switch.

The rule is that you had to be eligible at the time you played for the other youth team if you try to switch 

To be eligible, you have to have citizenship AND one of those criteria (born in the country, had a parent, had a grandparent, or lived 5 years after the age of 18). Unless he falls through one of the loopholes in from the 1970s, Richey did not have citizenship at the time he played for the US U17, so I am fairly certain he won't be able to become eligible for Canada. 

I'd of course be happy to be shown wrong 

6 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The rule is that you had to be eligible at the time you played for the other youth team if you try to switch 

To be eligible, you have to have citizenship AND one of those criteria (born in the country, had a parent, had a grandparent, or lived 5 years after the age of 18). Unless he falls through one of the loopholes in from the 1970s, Richey did not have citizenship at the time he played for the US U17, so I am fairly certain he won't be able to become eligible for Canada. 

Not have the citizenship, but be able to. Most German-Americans didn't have American citizenship until the US called them to represent them instead of Germany, and most had already played for German youth teams. Arfield didn't have citizenship until Canada asked him to play for them instead.

14 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Not have the citizenship, but be able to. Most German-Americans didn't have American citizenship until the US called them to represent them instead of Germany, and most had already played for German youth teams. Arfield didn't have citizenship until Canada asked him to play for them instead.

I think you are mistaking citizenship for a passport. 

Arfield, technically, was always a Canadian citizen as conferred by his parents (1 generation). He needed to undergo a more complicated process to obtain his passport than native born Canadians, but he was always a citizen. Same with Americans in Germany, who had American parents. 

Richey has a grandparent, meaning that unless his mother was on top of specific paperwork to remain Canadian and be able to transmit it to Richey, he was not a citizen at the time of his US U17 caps, and would thereby be excluded from a one-time switch barring an exception, which is not really worth pursuing on him with our limited clout. 

The utility of having a Canadian grandparent would have been the ability to circumvent FIFA's 5 year residency rule, but it does not bypass the citizenship requirements 

Edited by Complete Homer

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Arfield, technically, was always a Canadian citizen as conferred by his parents (1 generation). He needed to undergo a more complicated process to obtain his passport than native born Canadians, but he was always a citizen. Same with Americans in Germany, who had American parents. 

Richey has a grandparent, meaning that unless his mother was on top of specific paperwork to remain Canadian and be able to transmit it to Richey, he was not a citizen at the time of his US U17 caps, and would thereby be excluded from a one-time switch barring an exception, which is not really worth pursuing on him with our limited clout. 

The utility of having a Canadian grandparent would have been the ability to circumvent FIFA's 5 year residency rule, but it does not bypass the citizenship requirements 

Thanks for the clarification!

• 1 month later...
On 2013-04-10 at 2:03 PM, Duane Rollins1555362254 said:

A borderline prospect, but with our keeping situation so bleak probably worth a look...apparently the starting keeper for the University of Washington is eligible for Canada based on a grandparent. He reached out yesterday via Twitter asking about options. I made the CSA aware of the Tweets.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/richey_spencer00.html

I don't know a hell of a lot about him, but I would think that he might be useful as a third keeper for one of the Canadian MLS teams, especially if they go with stand alone reserve sides next year.

For what it's worth the kid seemed really excited by the possibility that he might be eligible.

Congrats on the first team contract. Glad his career is back on track.

On 11/10/2016 at 11:06 PM, Complete Homer said:

Pretty sure you're wrong. Guess we'll eventually find out when Richey is called up next summer.

On 11/11/2016 at 9:06 PM, Complete Homer said:

I don't think you are correct. Kids born overseas to Canadian parents first have to obtain a certificate of citizenship, and the date of citizenship listed is the date this is approved. Then and only then can they apply for a passport. Without the formal paperwork, the children are not citizens.

Source - my two overseas born children.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

FCC INKS GOALIE SPENCER RICHEY

By Fumi Kimura, 11/22/17, 11:00AM EST

2018_-_Signing_Richey_Header_large.png

CINCINNATI, OH --- Vancouver Whitecaps FC’s Spencer Richey is the second goalkeeper to sign on with FC Cincinnati in the off-season and will be on loand for the 2018 season, pending USL and federation approval.

“Spencer is an excellent keeper, who has worked incredibly hard to make it into MLS,” said Head Coach Alan Koch. “He has the potential to be a starting goalkeeper in the MLS, and we are excited to bring him into our squad. I am excited to work with him again and give him the platform to maximize his abilities.”

The 25-year old was the 61st pick overall in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft and made the move up to the senior squad after more than two seasons with Whitecaps FC 2. He made his MLS debut against Toronto FC in March and promptly collected league honors for the MLS Save of the Week.

Spending part of the 2017 season with Whitecaps FC 2, Richey had a team-leading 17 starts and 55 saves to go along with three clean sheets and a 1.53 goals-against average. In 2016, he had 49 saves and six wins while logging a .731 save percentage and a 1.29 goals-against average in 14 starts. He went 2-1-0 in three playoff fixtures, making eight saves. He registered a club-record nine saves in a 1-1 draw against Colorado Spring Switchbacks FC and was selected to the USL Team of the Week. In his first season, Richey paced the team with 12 starts, totaling four wins, two shutouts and a 1.83 goals-against average.

Richey competed for the University of Washington from 2010-14, leading the Huskies to the second round of the NCAA Tournament as a senior. That season he started 17 games, boasting a 1.23 goal-against average with a 9-5-3 record and 69 saves. One of his four shutouts was a double-overtime affair against Furman in NCAA Tournament play where Richey posted two saves and scored in the nine-round shootout win. In 2012 Richey was voted the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and received an all-conference first-team nod after leading the conference with a miniscule 0.46 goals-against average, five shutouts and an .875 save percentage. He made 18 starts in his sophomore campaign, making a personal-best 37 saves with nine shutouts while posting a lofty 12-4-2 record and limiting the opposition to 14 goals to earn All-Pac 12 second-team honors. As a freshman, the Pac-12 All-Academic honoree had six shutouts to go along with six wins (6-4-0) and a 0.87 goals-against average.

Richey played with the Washington Crossfire (2013), Timbers U-23 squad (2012), Seattle Sounders (2010-11). His notable achievements included a nine-win season with Timbers U-23, to go along with three clean sheets and a .97 GAA. He led all players with a .98 GAA during his tenure with the Crossfire.

Richey earned spots on the USA national U-17 and U-20 teams. He competed in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Nigeria as well as the Copa Cacae, a tournament in Brazil, where he collected shutouts against Arsul and Clube Cidad do Sol. In the 2009 U-17 CONCACAF Championship, USA finished first in group play after Richey led the team to a 3-0 shutout against Honduras.                                                                                                                                                      

Name: Spencer Richey
Pronunciation: RICH-ee
Position: Goalkeeper
Height: 
6’2”
Weight: 190
Date of birth: May 30, 1992
Hometown: Seattle, Wash.
Last club: Vancouver Whitecaps FC
How acquired: Signed on Nov. 22

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

FC Cincinnati starting goalkeeper Mitch Hildebrandt signed with Atlanta United which means, as of right now, Richey is set to start for Cincinnati in 2018.

Deserves to start. Very solid goalie. If he were truly eligible for the national team, I would put him ahead of Irving and Melvin.

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

Giving this a bump considering he is starting for FCC

not sure if I missed anything but is he eligible for us or has it been determined that he is not?

Any Goalkeeper in standards of starting in MLS should be in consideration, if her grandmother was born in canada then he would need one their parents to have citizenship so then they can pass it down to him, if he is not eligible for the NT since he played for th USA U17's then this thread should be locked. I'm curious if a journalist could pick up this story and ask him personally instead of speculation 

Also reading the FIFA rules, he would be a great addition and he's already lived in Canada two years, maybe playing International football is something that  interests him or maybe not 

Well considering the original post is 6 years old, and he was playing for a CDN team for a few years, you'd think he would have it figured out by now,  if he ever really wanted to.  Personally i file this in the Ethan Finley, Kofi Opare dumpster.  There might be a couple rumors...a little smoke but I dont think there is any fire.