MNT Coach?

Addona

I guess our youth coaches are too good to bother attending something like this. Interesting to note that, at least, some of the participant coaches had difficult organizing a practice with a group of kids.

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/news/newsid=2129270/index.html

To be fair, it was a regional course for European youth coaches to exchange ideas not a worldwide one, so CSA coaches weren't eligible to attend.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benito Floro will again pack up and cross the Atlantic to coach Team Canada. A failure to specify the duration of the contract, which is four or five years, the former coach of Real Madrid among others, will make his fifth adventure abroad after training in Japan, Mexico, Ecuador and Morocco, although it will be the first time to lead a national team.

The coach Spaniard, who plans to close the deal in the next few hours in the capital of Spain with the Canadian Soccer Association, will have your child in the coaching staff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Floro

Found this interesting:

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3883/features/2013/02/27/3747374/one-on-one-benito-floro-i-nearly-became-spains-coach

One of the most highly respected coaches in Spain who commands the respect of his fellow colleagues, Benito Floro has always been rated as one of the very best in the business and is acknowledged as one of the fathers of Spanish football as we know it today.

Referred to as “The Philosopher” due to his studious vision of the game, Floro’s career has taken him to Real Madrid, Japan and Mexico, and he was recently linked to the vacant Singapore national team post.

“Fifty years ago in Spain, the federation created a school for coaches of the highest level with highly qualified instructors of the highest level in the three most important aspects of football - strategy, technical ability and physical preparation,” he explained.

“Because of this, the standard of coaches in Spain is very high due to the difficulty levels of the coaching courses in Spain.

“Sooner or later this had to yield its fruits, and people now understand that it is much better to play an attacking combination game instead of say, counter-attacks or long ball attacks.”

“A coach has two important missions: teach his players to improve on an individual basis daily and also to teach his team to play whatever way they need to, on any kind of pitch, in any kind of circumstances to obtain the desired result," he asserted.

“After the European Championship in Portugal, the coach [saez] resigned and he became director of football, and he recommended [to the FA] that I became the new head coach of Spain," he said.

“He recommended me due to my vision of the game and [how] my playing style fit in well with the way the youth teams were being prepared, which was the main reason for the massive success of the Spanish national team.

“But unfortunately, due to circumstances that were beyond my control at that time, it was not possible.”

Guest Future CanWNT

I got an email from the OSA recently saying that they were running a somewhat similar course to the one in Turkey for youth coaches in Ontario. Can't remember all the details.

Not sure how credible Marca is when comes to rumours, but this will be interesting hire for Canada. I am not sure Floro can be successful as a manager for national team, but I think he will lay some sort of foundation and plan for CSA which in the long term we will benefit from.

On a side note, Bob De Klerk is interested in developing young Canadian talent. (source: http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/former-tfc-assistant-bob-de-klerk-blames-lack-of-mls-knowledge-unified-front-office-for-failure/)

Report: Former Real Madrid manager Benito Floro to coach Canadian national team

TORONTO - The Canadian Press Jul. 04 2013

A report in Spain says veteran Spanish manager Benito Floro will be Canada’s next men’s soccer coach.

Marca, a Spanish national daily sports newspaper, says the 61-year-old Floro is Canada’s choice.

Floro has a lengthy resume that includes managing Real Madrid from 1992 to 1994. Most recently he coached WAC (Wydad Athletic Club) Morocco.

Canada has been without a full-time coach since Stephen Hart stepped down last fall following the national team’s exit from World Cup qualifying. Colin Miller is currently serving as acting coach at the Gold Cup.

The Canadian Soccer Association plans a major announcement at a news conference Friday.

An association spokesman declined comment on the Marca report.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Benito Floro Sanz (born 12 June 1952 in Gijón, Asturias) is a Spanish football manager.

Managerial career

During his professional career, Floro managed Albacete Balompié (two spells, starting off in 1989 in Segunda División B and leading the club to a first-ever La Liga promotion in just two years), Real Madrid (winning the Spanish Cup in his first year), Sporting de Gijón, Vissel Kobe, Club de Fútbol Monterrey, Villarreal CF- he had already coached the Valencian in the third level - RCD Mallorca (leaving the Balearic Islands side after just a few months after being appointed in the 2004 summer) and Barcelona Sporting Club.

In 2005, he briefly worked for former club Real Madrid as director of football, then switched to sports commentator, with Telecinco.

Teams managed

Years Team

1978–1980 Silla

1980–1983 Torrent

1983–1984 Dénia

1984–1985 Gandía

1985–1986 Alzira

1986–1987 Ontinyent

1987–1988 Olímpic Xàtiva

1988–1989 Villarreal

1989–1992 Albacete

1992–1994 Real Madrid

1994–1996 Albacete

1996–1997 Sporting Gijón

1997–1998 Vissel Kobe

1999–2001 Monterrey

2002–2004 Villarreal

2004 Mallorca

2009 Barcelona SC

2011–2012 WAC

Benito Floro will again pack up and cross the Atlantic to coach Team Canada. A failure to specify the duration of the contract, which is four or five years, the former coach of Real Madrid among others, will make his fifth adventure abroad after training in Japan, Mexico, Ecuador and Morocco, although it will be the first time to lead a national team.

The coach Spaniard, who plans to close the deal in the next few hours in the capital of Spain with the Canadian Soccer Association, will have your child in the coaching staff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Floro

Wow, I better get to work.

Archived