MNT Coach?

Addona

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colin Miller has been confirmed as Interim Head Coach for Canada’s upcoming participation at the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup, set to begin in Pasadena, California, USA on 7 July.

Miller returns after having acted as Interim Head Coach for Canada’s Men’s National Team during a period in 2003/2004 in addition to a camp in USA earlier in 2013 and he most recently led the squad against Costa Rica at home in Edmonton, AB on 28 May.

“I feel very privileged and grateful to have been chosen to lead Canada into this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup,” said Colin Miller, Interim Head Coach for Canada’s Men’s National Team. “I need to thank FC Edmonton’s organisation for supporting me and allowing me to make the most of this amazing opportunity that the Canadian Soccer Association is entrusting me with.”

Miller will join the MNT at the team's pre-tournament training camp following the conclusion of FC Edmonton’s spring schedule.

“We all know the commitment and dedication Colin has shown to the profession and to our country,” said Victor Montagliani, President, Canadian Soccer Association. “We know he will lead the group and ensure that the Canadian jersey will be worn with honor.”

Canada will announce its final 23-player roster before beginning camp in Oxnard, CA, USA on 26 June.

Canada will kick-off the Gold Cup on 7 July against Martinique in Pasadena, CA; will then travel to Seattle, WA for an 11 July fixture against Mexico; and will then close-out the group stage with a match against Panama in Denver, CO on 14 July.

The top two teams from each group; as well as the two highest-seeded third-place finishers will advance to the knock-out stages.

Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000 and has since succeeded in making it to the tournament semi-finals on two other occasions (2002, 2007); and made it to the quarter-finals in 2009.

Canada's matches at the tournament will be broadcast on Sportsnet (channel to be confirmed). CanadaSoccerTV will also be on-site at all venues providing additional coverage.

So our head coach manages his club just one week before the opening Gold Cup match?! I thought we were going to change but we have a medicore NASL manager leading us in a continental Championship, I hope I'm wrong but this feels like a big mistake and a step backward.

“We all know the commitment and dedication Colin has shown to the profession and to our country,” said Victor Montagliani, President, Canadian Soccer Association. “We know he will lead the group and ensure that the Canadian jersey will be worn with honor.”

^ Great. Let's not "embarass" ourselves and keep it close Vic. Results matter, period... if we crash out this goes on Montagliani not on the ****ing interim coach which you know those weasels will try to justify.

According to sources from Tyler Green, Yallop will be named next head coach.

Waiting for Lord Bob to post how he ruined his childhood and Grizzly to write a long post on how bad a manager he was for the men's national team and how he didn't call his best players.

No need to rehash what has already been said but the idea truly is the thing of nightmares. We have spent the last 3 WCQ cycles hiring underqualified former national team players and if reports are correct instead of learning from that we are going to hire another underqualified former national team player who has already failed miserably in the position. This article is from the MLS website: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/06/18/rumor-central-frank-yallop-line-return-canadian-national-team-coach-august At least the author posted on Twitter afterwards: According to most of the responses I'm getting... people not happy about the possibilty of Yallop taking over the #CanMNT again

Lets hope his sources are wrong.

According to sources from Tyler Green, Yallop will be named next head coach.

Waiting for Lord Bob to post how he ruined his childhood and Grizzly to write a long post on how bad a manager he was for the men's national team and how he didn't call his best players.

Sounds like this Tyler Green guy is just trolling the Voyageurs for a reaction.

I consider Yallop to manage Canada rumours with the same integrity as Carlos Tevez to TFC rumours.

Wow... I mean it makes sense...and it will be good for him.... But does anyone else feel slightly betrayed? I know he couldnt find a gig in north america, and i know he is from T&T, but I also feel that he is one of ours and that we are losing him in a way.

This will be a great opportunity though to evaluate him. His performance with T&T will give us a clearer picture of how good (or poor) of a coach he is. I am rooting for him to have success.

Wow... I mean it makes sense...and it will be good for him.... But does anyone else feel slightly betrayed? I know he couldnt find a gig in north america, and i know he is from T&T, but I also feel that he is one of ours and that we are losing him in a way.

This will be a great opportunity though to evaluate him. His performance with T&T will give us a clearer picture of how good (or poor) of a coach he is. I am rooting for him to have success.

Betrayed no. Fools for giving a guy on the job training when we should have hired a coach with professional and international experience? Yes.

I will be shock if Yallop becomes CMNT manager.

Based on leaks and rumours since Hart resignation, CSA is looking for a manager from latin america. I will be shock if we get a Canadian coach this time around.

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a wee bit...

Yallop is years removed from his last stint as MNT coach. Not saying one way or another that he's evolved any but those who have been paying attention to his career more than I may offer a more informed opinion as to his qualities. But for my part there's no way around it, I still see a hard period of transition from club coach to NT coach. And I don't think at this point many of us around here are willing to wait and see if a club coach can evolve into a NT coach on an earn-while-you-learn basis.

And 2nd, I firmly believe you have to hire a manager who's a fit for your reality. Not to character profile but are there many SA coaches who could "fit" our reality? Given our player pool, resources and footballing culture. Can't help but feel it would devolve into the other way around, which at the senior level would be a recipe for disaster.

And 2nd, I firmly believe you have to hire a manager who's a fit for your reality. Not to character profile but are there many SA coaches who could "fit" our reality? Given our player pool, resources and footballing culture. Can't help but feel it would devolve into the other way around, which at the senior level would be a recipe for disaster.

Our reality needs to change and we need someone who will start changing our reality not fit into it. The recipe for disaster is to continue to do what we are doing in hiring coaches like Yallop. How exactly could we devolve, ie. how could things be any worse than they currently are and have been for some time?

I know Miller's got the job for the near future, but I wanted to take a look at the chances of bringing in one of the foreign coaches with a Canadian connection... longer post at http://majorliguesoccer.com/2013/06/23/canadian-coaches-abroad/ looking at van 't Schip, who's been discussed a few times over the years here, along with Enzo Concina, Goran Miscevic and Bircham.

EDIT: so I tweeted the article to some of the coaches mentioned. Birch replied that being a head coach is something he'd be interested in "in the future", while van't Schip retweeted it and added an "@" to his agent. Interesting turn of events, even if we can't afford him I'd hope the CSA would have been in touch...

A point of reflection about coaches, Marcelo Bielsa is about to get 4 millions US$ to coach Santos of Brazil.

Bielsa and Santos could not come to terms, so the deal is off. Now Qatar is said to be offering Bielsa US$8 million for him to run their program all the way to 2022. Presently they are working with Bora Milotinovic.

The delay in hiring a good coach for the Men's Team is completely baffling and is beyond embarassing. Morace left the women's program on July 22nd 2011, and we had her replacement Herdman hired by September 1st 2011.

How long does it take to hire a quality coach?

Archived