MNT Coach?

Addona

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that Montagliani is putting all his money of a top coach. Somebody that will not only improve Canada, but that will fill his ego and assure his reelection.

Between his arguing about the QSF stuff, Jason De Vos mentioned that the list of candidates that have made inquiries into the job has been impressive and the Montagliani is waiting until a few more top notch coaches get released after failing in WCQ.

But who knows, maybe we'll get some exciting friendlies during this impending "downtime".

Gerry Dobson recently dropped this nugget on Twitter: Watch for #canMNT team to continue to play friendlies into the fall after the Gold Cup.

BTW, anyone else notice the success of the Albanians so far in WCQ? They hired an Italian who worked his way up the ladder and has a few Serie A seasons and even one La Liga season under his belt. I remember someone (Marc?) posted the list of salaries of Serie A coaches prior to the WC in 2010 and the bottom half of the league coaches made less than 500K Euros, so i doubt he's making more than that coaching Albania. There are a whole bunch of Italian coaches kicking around that are in that same pedigree that could probably work magic on our team - we'd just need to come up with a larger salary budget.

Good call on this.

Gianni De Biasi. His initial claim to fame was getting Modena promotted from C1 to Serie B to Serie A in straight seasons.

Considering the economic situation of the game in Italy, there are probably quite a few coaches that are similarly good that can be had for a decent price.

I've always dreamed that Canada would hire a coach that plays an Italian counter-attacking style game. I think that fits best with our talents (or lack of talents).

Between his arguing about the QSF stuff, Jason De Vos mentioned that the list of candidates that have made inquiries into the job has been impressive and the Montagliani is waiting until a few more top notch coaches get released after failing in WCQ.

Gerry Dobson recently dropped this nugget on Twitter: Watch for #canMNT team to continue to play friendlies into the fall after the Gold Cup.

Those are both encouraging remarks as 'impressive' candidates, to my mind at least, implies people from outside the system.

Additionally, if they come on after the Gold Cup and we have more friendlies they can still start working with the team. At the end of the year it will be interesting to look back over the list of friendlies/Gold Cup matches that we've had. Hopefully it will still look like an indicator that the CSA is turning the corner. Combine that with a good coaching hire, and there might be more room for optimism.

Oh, I definitely agree that the Gold Cup is important for us. I was just wishing there was another competition in our region besides the Gold Cup and WCQ.

Now Now Don't be greedy..

UEFA has its confederation championship and WC qualifying

AFC has its confederation championship and WC qualifying

CAF has its confederation championship and WC qualifying

CONMEBOL has its confederation championship and WC qualifying

OFC has its confederation championship and WC qualifying

The last of which saw Tahiti...Yep that's right Tahiti, beat New Caledonia to win it Championship and thus Play in the Federation Cup!

CONCACAF has the Gold Cup and World Cup Qualify. Why should it be any different?

Unless like CAF you wish CONCACAF to host the gold Cup every 2 years like the African Cup of Nations.

Alternatively you could try something like the African Nations Championship which alternates with the ACN and is convened as a international competition only home base players are qualified to play in.

The last one seems like a good Idea.

Good call on this.

Gianni De Biasi. His initial claim to fame was getting Modena promotted from C1 to Serie B to Serie A in straight seasons.

Considering the economic situation of the game in Italy, there are probably quite a few coaches that are similarly good that can be had for a decent price.

I've always dreamed that Canada would hire a coach that plays an Italian counter-attacking style game. I think that fits best with our talents (or lack of talents).

And with the prospect of making a large profit on the WWC in 2015 i don't think we should cheap out on this hire either. One of the CSA higher-ups was unveiling the host cities and said their target is 1.5 million butts in the seats. That could be an 8 figure profit...

Good call on this.

Being Montigliani Italian he may be inclined to push for an Italian coach which is natural. Just let us not forget the fiasco of the Italian lady coach Carolina Morace.

Being Montigliani Italian he may be inclined to push for an Italian coach which is natural. Just let as not forget the fiasco of the Italian lady coach Carolina Morace.

Fiasco? She got them to play soccer and not that horrible style of futile, constant long ball style she inherited. Yea things fell apart at the end but up to then they got decent results. While not great it was a huge step up in expectations from the previous era. I couldn't watch the WNT for a full game until she took over.

That all said I'm glad she left and our new coach has found a good middle ground for the players we have and still playing real soccer.

Being Montigliani Italian he may be inclined to push for an Italian coach which is natural. Just let as not forget the fiasco of the Italian lady coach Carolina Morace.

This sentence looks like it's been translated from original Finnish to English by Google translate. :>

Has anyone mentioned that assistant coach (Bologna was it?) who has the Canadian connection and was linked to Montreal? And how about John van't Schip, he just finished coaching in Mexico so he knows CONCACAF a bit?

Has anyone mentioned that assistant coach (Bologna was it?) who has the Canadian connection and was linked to Montreal? And how about John van't Schip, he just finished coaching in Mexico so he knows CONCACAF a bit?

It was former Canadian international Enzo Concina from Napoli.

Miller confirmed as Gold Cup coach. Still with the interim tag.

FFS, really? Why not bring in Dos Santos or even Yallop as a one off instead of Miller... we've played brutal football in the 3 matches he's managed this year. Three and out is my bet.

According to sources from Tyler Green, Yallop will be named next head coach.

Waiting for Lord Bob to post how he ruined his childhood and Grizzly to write a long post on how bad a manager he was for the men's national team and how he didn't call his best players.

According to sources from Tyler Green, Yallop will be named next head coach.

Waiting for Lord Bob to post how he ruined his childhood and Grizzly to write a long post on how bad a manager he was for the men's national team and how he didn't call his best players.

No need to wait. Yallop is a joke.

Archived