MNT Coach?

Addona

Based on what I've been told, the CSA is not looking for the "cheap and easy hire" this time around.

Time will tell.

Last time they tried that Rene Simoes' goalkeeping coach became an issue. Can't imagine Roberto Mancini and co. will be knocking at the door.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highly paid coaches doesn't mean they are good coaches or what we really need as to style, instruction and revamping how we play. What worries me most is those appointed to decide on who may just not be able to judge a coach's experience and references.

I think I've seen enough surprises this year to believe that the CSA is going to follow through and break their cycle of internal CSA hires. What I now wonder is how long are they going to hold out. Some people have said it already on this thread, but I am also starting to believe that the CSA may just wait until the layoffs following WCQ campaigns.

I think I've seen enough surprises this year to believe that the CSA is going to follow through and break their cycle of internal CSA hires. What I now wonder is how long are they going to hold out. Some people have said it already on this thread, but I am also starting to believe that the CSA may just wait until the layoffs following WCQ campaigns.

I could see that. At this point you have to figure who ever is coaching gold cup is an interim.

I prefer to think we're waiting for the end of the MLS season to hire Arena when his contract (which I believe I have read) is up.
I wouldn't mind seeing that cocky bugger in charge. Oops that sounded rude. He could out prima donna the prima donnas and he does know Concacaf.

Marcelo Bielsa will probably not renew with Athletic. That being the case I wonder if the gurus at the CSA even have heard of him.
No, I don't think so, looking for available coaches is full time work, why would they waste time googling somebody. Wait, what's google?

Frank Yallop and the earthquakes announced they're parting ways. No idea if this has anything to do with Can MNT position or not. Just thought I'd put it out there.

I would think and hope that it is only in relation to San Jose having a bad season and being a terrible team for 5 of the 6 years Yallop was coach with last year being the only exception. Yallop was the worst national team coaching reign I have lived through, at least Hart and Mitchell for the most part selected our best players. With the teams Yallop called we were pretty much doomed before we even played. I would hope the CSA could not be that cement-headed that they would ever consider bringing him back as MNT coach.

IMO, this makes him the top contender to take over on an interm basis at the very least. I'm not saying I agree with it but just makes too much sense from a CSA point of view. A quick cheap band-aid fix. I just hope they don't offer him the permanent job.

IMO, this makes him the top contender to take over on an interm basis at the very least. I'm not saying I agree with it but just makes too much sense from a CSA point of view. A quick cheap band-aid fix. I just hope they don't offer him the permanent job.

How would hiring an unsuccessful MLS coach who has already failed miserably as national team coach make any sense at all even on an interim basis?

How would hiring an unsuccessful MLS coach who has already failed miserably as national team coach make any sense at all even on an interim basis?

It doesn't to me, but this is the CSA's decision. I'm not sure the CSA would agree he "failed miserably as the National Team Coach". He had a .500 record at the helm and quit(wasn't fired unlike all our coaches since) to coach in MLS. Also i doubt they feel he was unsuccessful as an MLS coach. 2 MLS Championships, 1 Coach of the year and won the Supporters Shield last year. On paper he's the best ex-pat we got.

It doesn't to me, but this is the CSA's decision. I'm not sure the CSA would agree he "failed miserably as the National Team Coach". He had a .500 record at the helm and quit(wasn't fired unlike all our coaches since) to coach in MLS. Also i doubt they feel he was unsuccessful as an MLS coach. 2 MLS Championships, 1 Coach of the year and won the Supporters Shield last year. On paper he's the best ex-pat we got.

His record as national team coach was 8 wins, 3 draws and 9 losses with the 8 wins being against mostly poor quality opposition: Barbados, Belize (twice), Guatemala, Northern Ireland, Cuba, Luxembourg and Austria. We also played poorly in the 2005 Gold Cup and did not get out of the group stage. Those wins were all in friendlies not WCQ or Gold Cup except the two wins against Belize, a win against Guatemala in the last WCQ game in which neither team had anything to play for (we were already eliminate, they were already qualified for the next round) and a Gold Cup 2-1 win against Cuba when Cuba was already eliminated and we needed to beat them by a decent score to go through as a 3rd place team.

And I think anyone that remembers Yallop quitting would probably characterize that more as abandoning us. We bombed out of WCQ in 2004 and the CSA did not fire him like any competent federation would. We bombed out of Gold Cup 2005 and the CSA did not fire him like any competent federation would. And then LA dangles an offer in his eyes and suddenly and completely unexpectedly he bolts, ie. no loyalty whatsoever to the federation that (stupidly) stood by him in defeat.

Before he became national team coach Yallop did win 2 MLS championships with San Jose but these were also the early days of the league and the playing level was much lower than it currently is. Since he has returned to MLS he has coached 7 years in MLS for LA and San Jose. In those 7 years his teams have only made the playoffs twice and the other 5 years his teams have been pretty terrible. He is not a successful coach even at the MLS level.

And yet despite all that I am very fearful that the CSA might hire him again. :(

Yikes. Whoever our next full-time national team manager is won't have a meaningful game until 2015. I wish we had more competitive competitions in our region... Or at least something we could get invited to somewhere in the world. It's gonna be kinda depressing waiting until 2015 for a meaningful game to look forward to.

But who knows, maybe we'll get some exciting friendlies during this impending "downtime".

Yikes. Whoever our next full-time national team manager is won't have a meaningful game until 2015. I wish we had more competitive competitions in our region... Or at least something we could get invited to somewhere in the world. It's gonna be kinda depressing waiting until 2015 for a meaningful game to look forward to.

But who knows, maybe we'll get some exciting friendlies during this impending "downtime".

I agree that it is too bad we won't have the full-time coach at the Gold Cup, but I don't think that makes the 2013 Gold Cup less important in any way. It still is our continental championship and the second biggest thing we have to play for behind the World Cup. Especially with CONCACAF's decision to change the Confederations Cup to a playoff eliminating the idea of so-called "on and off" Gold Cups.

I agree that it is too bad we won't have the full-time coach at the Gold Cup, but I don't think that makes the 2013 Gold Cup less important in any way. It still is our continental championship and the second biggest thing we have to play for behind the World Cup. Especially with CONCACAF's decision to change the Confederations Cup to a playoff eliminating the idea of so-called "on and off" Gold Cups.

Oh, I definitely agree that the Gold Cup is important for us. I was just wishing there was another competition in our region besides the Gold Cup and WCQ.

This also makes the job somewhat less attractive at the moment. What young, up and coming coach would want to tread water for the next 2 years (between this GC and the next) until the games mean something? We'll likely get someone older and more willing to take a breather from the hectic pace of coaching club teams or something...or we sit on an interim coach for another year or so - bleh.

BTW, anyone else notice the success of the Albanians so far in WCQ? They hired an Italian who worked his way up the ladder and has a few Serie A seasons and even one La Liga season under his belt. I remember someone (Marc?) posted the list of salaries of Serie A coaches prior to the WC in 2010 and the bottom half of the league coaches made less than 500K Euros, so i doubt he's making more than that coaching Albania. There are a whole bunch of Italian coaches kicking around that are in that same pedigree that could probably work magic on our team - we'd just need to come up with a larger salary budget.

Archived