MNT Coach?

Addona

An article from Colombia stating that current Atletico Nacional coach and former Chicago Fire/NYRB coach was offered the Canada job and turned it down. Always hard to say how accurate these articles are and whether a currently employed coach denying a rumour is telling the truth but even if he has turned us down this is the calibre of coach we should be looking at. He says that he received an interesting offer but he is coach of Nacional and as far as a national team he only dreams of coaching Colombia.

http://gentepasionyfutbol.com.co/osorio-no-se-va-a-canada/

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An article from Colombia stating that current Atletico Nacional coach and former Chicago Fire/NYRB coach was offered the Canada job and turned it down. Always hard to say how accurate these articles are and whether a currently employed coach denying a rumour is telling the truth but even if he has turned us down this is the calibre of coach we should be looking at. He says that he received an interesting offer but he is coach of Nacional and as far as a national team he only dreams of coaching Colombia.

http://gentepasionyfutbol.com.co/osorio-no-se-va-a-canada/

Probably a step in the right direction a coach like this, but it should illustrate that we don't have a coach because no one wants to coach us.

Probably a step in the right direction a coach like this, but it should illustrate that we don't have a coach because no one wants to coach us.

Well, there are a few things we know and some we don't. We know that Osorio agreed to coach Honduras in 2011 and his club team at the time would not release him, so he at least knows that if he were back on the open market that he could probably land a gig with a "better" NT than Canada (within CONCACAF anyways). We also know that Honduras have paid/currently pay Rueda and Suarez $350K (US) which is also likely what they offered Osorio. We don't know what the CSA offered, but unless they loosened up the purse strings and made an offer similar to the Hondurans (like what Holger and Yallop were paid, more than Mitchell and Hart) then why would he leave his gig at Atl. Nacional?

I would also like to make a new prediction. Tony Fonseca is now the CSA Technical Director. Fonseca played at Estrela Amadora between 1992-99. He was coached by current Greek NT manager Fernando Santos between 1994-98. Greece fail to qualify for the World Cup. Fonseca hires Santos to coach Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Santos_(Portuguese_footballer)

Of course i'm assuming Santos and Fonseca got along at Amadora...

One of the scariest headlines I have ever read, even scarier by the fact it is not inconceivable given the history of the CSA:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/26/colin-miller-hopes-double-duty-fc-edmonton-coach-will-earn-him-full-time-can

Certainly not inconceivable. Seems from what the article said that this is just Miller's wish list and there isn't too much of substance in the article.

Starting to get a little impatient. I didn't feel like a coach needed to be named up until now, but it would be good to go into the Gold Cup with the new head coach at the helm ... and let the rebuild begin in earnest.

One of the scariest headlines I have ever read, even scarier by the fact it is not inconceivable given the history of the CSA:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/26/colin-miller-hopes-double-duty-fc-edmonton-coach-will-earn-him-full-time-can

+1

I would support Miller as an assistant coach, but this is just naive and selfish... I am tired of these former Canadian players thinking that they should have some sort of entitlement to the MNT coaching position just because they are Canadian. It is obvious that an appointment of yet another totally unproven and inexperienced Canadian could lead this team down the sewer for another ten years. Don't these guys ever stop and think that maybe our screwed up program needs and deserves a coach with a proven international pedigree whom can bring some hard core experience to the table, as well as new superior methods, and who comes from a winning soccer culture and program?

I admire guys like Miller and Pesch but what makes them think they will be any more successful than Yallop or Mitchell or Hart? What have Pesch or Miller done to prove that they can turn this program around? They make their cases for appointment based upon rhetoric, good intentions and huge assumptions. Somehow having played for Canada automatically means you are qualified to take us to the promised land.

The appointment of the next coach is so crucial and key. Its time to stop taking chances on coaches and hoping that it all works out magically. We need someone who has proven themselves in the international arena many times over.

Miller's desire for this job is nothing more than a career building move to him. If you want the job, prove you have something to offer first and over time. Coaching Canada over the next few years is more complicated than coaching a mediocre NASL team. Given the enormity of the task of fixing the program which is in crisis mode, we also need a full time coach who will devote the proper attention to fixing the team and making them into a competitive program, not some part timer whos main focus is elsewhere...

I hope the CSA is not seriously considering him or Pesch.

Certainly not inconceivable. Seems from what the article said that this is just Miller's wish list and there isn't too much of substance in the article.

Starting to get a little impatient. I didn't feel like a coach needed to be named up until now, but it would be good to go into the Gold Cup with the new head coach at the helm ... and let the rebuild begin in earnest.

Yes it is just his wish but given the history of the CSA not inconceivable that they would grant it. I think it is especially disturbing because in my opinion some of the unprofessional comments he made about former/current FCE players while he was interim coach last time should have disqualified him from being given the reigns again had the CSA had someone of competency handling the coaching selection.

IF we don't find a quality coach for a reasonable price, I would be OK(ish) with Miller as coach for the Gold Cup. Not past that though...

This worries me though, let's say Canada gets lucky and makes it to the semi-finals or something of the Gold Cup. There will suddenly be pressure to appoint Miller full time a la Stephen Hart, and for this CSA this means an easy, cheap hire. So I really hope we aren't going into the Gold Cup with Miller, because if we do there is a chance the CSA will look to him as the full-time guy.

Miller will likely get get the full-time gig, it's the path of least resistance and the CSA's style. Even after Dale Mitchell presided over THAT u-20 World Cup performance it was obvious he'd ease into the full-time MNT gig. The only possible upside to this lazy/cheap strategy is that Dasovic might eventually get a shot at the top job.

Miller will likely get get the full-time gig, it's the path of least resistance and the CSA's style. Even after Dale Mitchell presided over THAT u-20 World Cup performance it was obvious he'd ease into the full-time MNT gig. The only possible upside to this lazy/cheap strategy is that Dasovic might eventually get a shot at the top job.

How would Dasovic be an upside? I have seen nothing in his coaching stints to show he is any better than any of the other former national team players we pick as coach. As bad a choice as Miller.

I'd rather have Hart over Miller! But if any Canadian manager worthy of managing men's program then it's Sean Fleming (only CDN to have any success recently)

However, I would be shocked if CSA hires a Canadian manager this time around. It would be a PR nightmare for them if they hire someone within organization.

This worries me though, let's say Canada gets lucky and makes it to the semi-finals or something of the Gold Cup. There will suddenly be pressure to appoint Miller full time a la Stephen Hart, and for this CSA this means an easy, cheap hire. So I really hope we aren't going into the Gold Cup with Miller, because if we do there is a chance the CSA will look to him as the full-time guy.

Very valid point Sam. The best thing would be to hire someone in the next month so we have a coach for the Gold Cup.

Yes it is just his wish but given the history of the CSA not inconceivable that they would grant it. I think it is especially disturbing because in my opinion some of the unprofessional comments he made about former/current FCE players while he was interim coach last time should have disqualified him from being given the reigns again had the CSA had someone of competency handling the coaching selection.

Agreed 100%.

Every single coach in Premiership league protects their players.

I'd rather have Hart over Miller! But if any Canadian manager worthy of managing men's program then it's Sean Fleming (only CDN to have any success recently).

Good track record, but it's still jumping the gun. He should potentially jump up to U-20 in the future and show what he's got there.

Archived