Canada to face the United States in Houston

Metro

What do you think the probability is of these games being televised? Probably better for the US game, but it would be cool if we could watch them both. Would love to see some new blood and see how they perform for the senior side.

The US friendly will be on TV for sure, and I think having this US friendly will significantly increase the chance of the Denmark friendly being televised (Still probably 50-50 on that one).

The US friendly will be on TV for sure, and I think having this US friendly will significantly increase the chance of the Denmark friendly being televised (Still probably 50-50 on that one).

Easier for Sportsnet to arrange something if there are two games ... or at least more worth it ... not holding my breath but crossing my fingers.

The Denmark game is being shown in Europe, so I'm confident we can find it in some form one way or the other.

cheers,

matthew

It'll be live on ESPN2 according to ussoccer.com

Well, that's weird...i can't find anything about US Soccer making an announcement about broadcast rights:

https://twitter.com/ussoccer

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2012/12/MNT-to-Face-Canada-on-Jan-29-in-Houston.aspx

"The U.S. Men's National Team will open the 2013 campaign when it hosts regional rival Canada on Jan. 29 in Houston. Kickoff at BBVA Compass Stadium is set for 7:30 p.m. CT, with broadcast details still to be finalized. Fans can follow the match live online via ussoccer.com's MatchTracker and Twitter @ussoccer."

?

http://www.dbu.dk/page.aspx?id=3814 says:

DBU har ingen viden om, hvorvidt kampene vil blive vist på dansk tv

DBU has no knowledge of whether the matches will be shown on Danish television.

What is your link?

Hmm, at the press conference announcing the match, the organizers at Tucson talked about the exposure their facility and city would get with the match being televised in Europe. Perhaps they were talking out their asses.

I trust the DBU site more than that press conference. Disappointing if true.

cheers,

matthew

Why doesn't someone just tweet Gerry Dobson and ask him? If anyone would know, he would, about sportsnet.

Hey I did just that, he says "there's a chance". As per usual I guess, hopefully they provide a stream at least. Either way its just awesome to have something to look forward to with the MNT!!!

Merry Christmas Y'all!

You'd think that Sportsnet would be begging for anything in January.. a Canada vs. USA tilt on a Tuesday night should be a gimme

I'm not so sure of that...Sportsnet can do an NBA game or an AHL/Junior Hockey game. To them there's not much of a ratings difference.

Here is what he said after the Honduras game (through a butchered translation): "I knew it was my last mile with Team Canada and I wanted to reach the plateau of 50 games with the national team, which is a feat because you should know that our country does not fight much parties on the international scene. But, my counter will stop at 49. Needless to say I do not like the last image I'll remember my last match with Canada. All hopes have soared in recent years. It was at the door to go in the final round. Fortunately, my career has given me more memories. "

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/349655.html

I think it's the right move on his part, sad though

I did not see this article before and only recently had time to read it. I take his comments to mean more that he does not expect to be selected again at age 33 more than he is officially retiring but it is not really clear. He does say he wishes he could have reached 50 games with Canada and he hoped that his last game with the national team would have been a better one than the 8-1 against Honduras. He states he has never lost a game 8-1 in his career even as an amateur. The rest of the article is mostly him stating he can't understand how the team lost like that but trying to give some possible explanations.

I have met Bernier a number of times and spoken with him quite extensively. He seems like the type of guy to me that would play for Canada whenever he was selected. If that is indeed the case I think it would be really classy for the CSA to call him again so he can reach 50 games and go out on a better note than sitting on the bench for an 8-1 defeat. Also even with the required youth movement we do need the younger players to be supported by some veterans they can learn from. If Bernier has a similar season in MLS as he did last year I think he would be a good choice for the Gold Cup team. From my dealing with him he has a great attitude and totally professional and would be I think one of the best choices for the younger players to learn from. Indeed I think a much better choice than a few other veterans who I don't think I need to name. I also would put Jazic as a good role model for younger players if he is still playing decently next year and a possible Gold Cup selection as a guy who will not be around next cycle but would be a good teacher for the younger players.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't stellar but man, they have such a deep pool at most positions. I guess it's not ten times deeper, but probably not far off., as they could make a C or D team that could still compete with most of our best players.

I had a thought this morning how terrible it would be to lose 5-0 or 4-0 in these two friendlies. One heavy and humiliating defeat was devastating but two or three in a row might be the kind of death knock that would have players turning down future callups, retiring early, or sending coaches in the other direction. Is it weird to feel nervous about January B-team friendlies or is this just symptomatic of my still inflamed PTSD from the fall, I wonder?

I sincerely hope we can piece together enough players to but out a respectable squad that doesn't get trashed while at the same time letting us have a look at a few new players. I almost would have liked us to play these two matches against squads like Denmark and the US before our last round of WCQ. If this is "the first day of the rest of our life" or "life after 8-1" I would have almost rather us play a little tourney against lesser opposition, maybe skeleton club sides in preseason a la my much-loved Millwall/Hearts development camp from 2004.

I think if the squad is going to be experimental, for keepers why not call up Borjan if available, but Jordan Santiago is playing and what about giving a good keeper an opportunity to showcase himself.... michal misiewicz

To build on this point, what about capping Roberto Stillo in GK?

Archived