Looking ahead:

Robert

No, he doesn't.

For the love of God, don't rush the choice for a new TD and coach. In the mean time, divert the funds to U17 and U20 qualification, which are more important right now. We are 3+ years away from playing a truly meaningful game at the senior level. It will not break the program if we take a couple of international breaks off. Divert the funds and concentrate on picking the best possible coach to have in place when the Gold Cup starts this summer.

Oh Jeez, how long should the Men's National program be put on hold before the CSA goes out and hires someone? The fact remains that our Central American competition continues to play international friendlies and we don't. The fact remains that our Central American competition continues to qualify for the Hex and we don't. If we concede 2 out of the 3.5 World Cup berths to Mexico and the United States, then the Central American competition is the yardstick we need to measure ourselves against if we are ever going to knock a few of them out of contention during semi-final qualifying. Just because we get knocked out of the 2014 World Cup doesn't mean our national program should come to a grinding stop.

It's sad reflection of your limited understanding of the game that you consider only World Cup qualifying matches to be truly meaningful. The Men's National program needs to be taken seriously throughout an entire cycle, and it is absolutely essentail to recognizing the importance of playing Gold Cup, Olympic and friendly matches if we are ever going to be successful in World Cup qualifying matches. Our new cycle began the day we were eliminated in Honduras. Why was Coach Hart's "RESIGNATION" accepted if there was no immediate replacement waiting in the wings. Does any organization take a break from doing business because one person decides to "RESIGN?"

P.S. I would like to appeal the Yellow Card that Red gave me on the grounds that I am not responsible for the reaction of others. The threads in question were not closed because of what I posted, but rather for the content posted by others.

^Not to stick my nose where it doesn't belong but he specifically stated the yellow card was for starting too many threads on the same topic, where you could have just done a continuation within the same threads. He stated that as the reason for the yellow card very clearly, mate, should read closer before you appeal.

Other than that, I don't disagree with everything you say, honestly, Robert, but here you state that they should have NOT accepted Hart's resignation if there wasn't someone waiting in the wings. That I do disagree with. What are you supposed to say to Hart...no you MUST stay on, despite huge popular opinion against you, and a country's lack of confidence in your ability to do that job anymore?

It takes time to find a replacement...or at least I hope it does or we end up with crap, but yeah if someone resigns, you accept the resignation. Your comment would have been valid if they fired him without a replacement in the wings.

If we are putting out money for these friendlies I think it would be more productive to save the money to pay for a coach or divert the funds to youth programs which is essentially us spending money on the NT program since we are basically shooting for 2015. I'm all for friendlies, but when we have a limited budget after a ****load of games and with nothing really on the horizon I don't mind skipping some dates and putting that money towards something more productive atm.

Oh Jeez, how long should the Men's National program be put on hold before the CSA goes out and hires someone? The fact remains that our Central American competition continues to play international friendlies and we don't. The fact remains that our Central American competition continues to qualify for the Hex and we don't. If we concede 2 out of the 3.5 World Cup berths to Mexico and the United States, then the Central American competition is the yardstick we need to measure ourselves against if we are ever going to knock a few of them out of contention during semi-final qualifying. Just because we get knocked out of the 2014 World Cup doesn't mean our national program should come to a grinding stop. /QUOTE]

I completely agree with this part of Robert's post! At the end of season interviews for TFC on Monday, Ashtone Morgan was asked about the WCQ failure and he said he was devastated but was helpless to do anything! He also stated "now it's our turn" about himself and other young players such as Doniel Henry to play for Canada and try to qualify for the World Cup! These young guys shouldn't be put on hold because the old guys and their coach failed miserably and the CSA wants to put all of their resources into the WNT and U17/U20 programs! The young guys need to start getting games now!

I completely agree with this part of Robert's post! At the end of season interviews for TFC on Monday, Ashtone Morgan was asked about the WCQ failure and he said he was devastated but was helpless to do anything! He also stated "now it's our turn" about himself and other young players such as Doniel Henry to play for Canada and try to qualify for the World Cup! These young guys shouldn't be put on hold because the old guys and their coach failed miserably and the CSA wants to put all of their resources into the WNT and U17/U20 programs! The young guys need to start getting games now!

But the thing is, we won't be playing meaningful games for another 4 years. Morgan will get his turn. All most people are saying is give the CSA until the Gold Cup. Six months will not make or break a program, especially when we are playing games just for the sake of playing games.

The benefits of playing games without the guy who will take us through the next WCQ at the helm is negligible. Give the CSA time to find the right man for the job. That is the one thing that must not be hurried. However, if we don't have a coach and a clear plan forward at the Gold Cup, I will be just as upset as you. Six months, to me, is more than enough time to find the right coach, as well as being about the threshold of inactivity that should also not set the program back too much.

But the thing is, we won't be playing meaningful games for another 4 years. Morgan will get his turn. All most people are saying is give the CSA until the Gold Cup. Six months will not make or break a program, especially when we are playing games just for the sake of playing games.

The benefits of playing games without the guy who will take us through the next WCQ at the helm is negligible. Give the CSA time to find the right man for the job. That is the one thing that must not be hurried. However, if we don't have a coach and a clear plan forward at the Gold Cup, I will be just as upset as you. Six months, to me, is more than enough time to find the right coach, as well as being about the threshold of inactivity that should also not set the program back too much.

Fair enough! I just don't want to miss too many FIFA dates because there aren't enough of them! I think after the Honduran disaster I have the same feeling I have when I crash on my mountain bike, I have to get right back on and continue the ride! Too much inactivity for this program would not be a good thing IMHO!

• 2 weeks later...
Does this mean that our Gold Cup triumph in 2000 was meaningless?

In terms of qualifying for the World Cup, then yes. That is most people's (including yours, based on the majority of your posts) barometer of success.

If results in the Gold Cup were held in higher esteem, people would have much less to complain about, what with our win in 2000 and our third place finishes in 2002 and 2007. That's 3 top 3 finishes in the last 7 tournaments for those keeping track at home. Outside of Mexico and the US, that's tied with Honduras for the highest number of top 3 appearances over the same time frame.

In terms of qualifying for the World Cup, then yes. That is most people's (including yours, based on the majority of your posts) barometer of success.

If results in the Gold Cup were held in higher esteem, people would have much less to complain about, what with our win in 2000 and our third place finishes in 2002 and 2007. That's 3 top 3 finishes in the last 7 tournaments for those keeping track at home. Outside of Mexico and the US, that's tied with Honduras for the highest number of top 3 appearances over the same time frame.

I do believe that The Man has mistaken me for the CSA. Although it is true that I hold World Cup matches in the highest esteem, I also believe that every international match, be it a friendly, Olympic, Gold Cup or World Cup contest is meaningful and I would never give away Canada’s Gold Cup spot to Jamaica like the CSA did in the past. Hence, with my perspective, Canada may well have added another top-three Gold Cup finish to its list of honours. Surely, you must remember how I was getting on Victor's case to arrange the friendly he finally got us with Triunidad & Tobago?

I firmly believe that national associations that strive to arrange as many international matches for their national teams, against the best opposition that is available, will enjoy the most success, Panama being a great example here. Having played Portugal a few months ago, and the Spanish European and World Champions today in front of their own supporters, only augers well for the chances of los Canaleros making it to the 2014 World Cup Final, in Brazil. What has the CSA done for Canadian soccer today?

Archived