Is The World Cup Only A Dream?

sting

The point I'm making is purely based on talent alone. I'm sick of hearing this "we're not good enough" bull****.

We have players in some of the top leagues in the world and players who play ALONGSIDE players on Hondurans. To put this in perspective, Honduras was missing their best midfielder... he plays in MLS, the same league where De Rosario was MVP, De Guzman is a DP and Will Johnson is an MLS Cup winner and former All Star. COME ON NOW. The problem lies deeper but we didn't lose 8-1 because of it.

Could Bengtson or Costly be the starting striker for Frankfurt? NO. Is Mario Martinez better than Hutchinson? HELL NO.

There's not enough talent, there's not enough depth, and we don't have professional league. Hainault, McKenna, Ricketts, Ledgerwood, Bernier... those players aren't just good enough to play at international level. And having 34 - 36 years old players in the squad tells me we lack depth. Even if we have players in the top leagues of the world, it doesn't matter since many of them aren't regular starters at their clubs.

Nolbertos is right, stop delunding yourself. BTW, MLS is far from being a top league.

Nolbertos is right, stop delunding yourself. BTW, MLS is far from being a top league.

But yet in the 8-1 game Honduras had more players (4 - Bernardez, Garcia, Martinez and Bengston) that play in MLS then we do (3 - Hainault, Johnson, De Guzman). They also had 3 players from the Honduran league. This had nothing to do with the talent level and everything to do with mentality and playing afraid. This game should not have mattered if we had played to win in Toronto instead of playing to not lose.

But yet in the 8-1 game Honduras had more players (4 - Bernardez, Garcia, Martinez and Bengston) that play in MLS then we do (3 - Hainault, Johnson, De Guzman). They also had 3 players from the Honduran league. This had nothing to do with the talent level and everything to do with mentality and playing afraid. This game should not have mattered if we had played to win in Toronto instead of playing to not lose.

You missed the point. Having players in MLS is good for Canada and Honduras, no doubt. My point is MLS =/= EPL, La Liga, the Mexican league or the equivalent of any top league in the world.

You missed the point. Having players in MLS is good for Canada and Honduras, no doubt. My point is MLS =/= EPL, La Liga, the Mexican league or the equivalent of any top league in the world.

No ****. That's not what we're talking about. We're saying CANADA vs HONDURAS.

Of course MLS is not as good as any of those leagues, but that wasn't the point. You said Canada isn't good enough and then threw in the fact that MLS is not a top league, but yet more than half of the Hondurans either play in it or at a level below it. Fact is this Honduran squad were nowhere near as good as the squad that made it to the 2010 WC. There was no Palacios-Thomas EPL combo in the middle, no Suazo or Pavon scoring buckets of goals up top. No Guevara providing leadership, no Nunez causing danger down the left...this was the least talented Honduran squad in 8 years and we let them off the hook in Toronto, not because they were more talented, but because we took the mindset of a loser instead of winner.

Of course MLS is not as good as any of those leagues, but that wasn't the point. You said Canada isn't good enough and then threw in the fact that MLS is not a top league, but yet more than half of the Hondurans either play in it or at a level below it. Fact is this Honduran squad were nowhere near as good as the squad that made it to the 2010 WC. There was no Palacios-Thomas EPL combo in the middle, no Suazo or Pavon scoring buckets of goals up top. No Guevara providing leadership, no Nunez causing danger down the left...this was the least talented Honduran squad in 8 years and we let them off the hook in Toronto, not because they were more talented, but because we took the mindset of a loser instead of winner.

Forget my point about MLS, I was in rush when I read Keegan's previous post this morning and I misunderstood what he meant in the first place. My mistake.

Regarding your reply, I don't disagree the mindset of the loser was one of the biggest factors. I don't disagree the actual Honduras squad is weaker than the squad that qualified to the WC 2010. And yes, right now there's only one player in the Honduran NT that plays at higher level than MLS, Palacios. But they have a professional league, which means we don't have the number of players Honduras have, and they don't need to call players from 3rd division leagues.

In other words, if we make a squad comprising Canadian and Honduran players, there will be more Honduran players than Canadian's.

Forget my point about MLS, I was in rush when I read Keegan's previous post this morning and I misunderstood what he meant in the first place. My mistake.

Regarding your reply, I don't disagree the mindset of the loser was one of the biggest factors. I don't disagree the actual Honduras squad is weaker than the squad that qualified to the WC 2010. And yes, right now there's only one player in the Honduran NT that plays at higher level than MLS, Palacios. But they have a professional league, which means we don't have the number of players Honduras have, and they don't need to call players from 3rd division leagues.

In other words, if we make a squad comprising Canadian and Honduran players, there will be more Honduran players than Canadian's.

Which third division player? Iain Hume? You don't think he could play in the Honduran league?

We need a domestic league absolutely. But at the moment we're still in the same league as Honduras talent wise. Even Hume said on his twitter he thought we were a better side and this was the worst Honduran team he had faced.. he was on a Canada team that got a result in Honduras remember. If we were to put together a fantasy team made up of Canadians and Hondurans I think it would be close to a 50/50 split.

We had them on the ropes at BMO, they were at their weakest in years and we couldn't get the job done. Hart should have gone more attacking, but the players still should have won. Our lack of finishing really amplifies all of our other issues, if we had reliable finishing a lot of other mistakes could be papered over, but we don't and other than Ali G haven't had anything close to it for a while. We let them off and they used that to propel themselves from then on into the Hex at our expense. Also Honduras had a few other advantages that haven't been talked about much, vs Cuba we killed ourselves to try and score goals, the pace of the game from a mental and physical stand point took a toll on our players if you watch the Honduras-Panama game it was at a very slow pace and that helps when you have a game a few days later. Also they didn't have to travel as far obviously which hurts us a bit.

Archived