Next coach ?

Winnipeg Fury

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pesch was a good forward??? What? He was horrible. He just ran around all the time. I can't recall him making any wonder strike or goal since I followed CMNT in 2000. And he is considered an actual candidate to be a coach??? What? OMG another blunder. What has he done to be a International Coach? Enough of this old boys club favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrTe4b7Dces?t=4m32s

4:32.

more qualified then Pesch IMO.

Peschisolido coached a team for 3 years, Marsch coached a team for 1 year. Peschisolido played over 50 international games for Canada, Marsch played 2 for the USA. How is Marsch more qualified???

I honestly wouldn't want either guy coaching Canada but I think you're being pretty harsh on Pesch.

Peschisolido coached a team for 3 years, Marsch coached a team for 1 year. Peschisolido played over 50 international games for Canada, Marsch played 2 for the USA. How is Marsch more qualified???

I honestly wouldn't want either guy coaching Canada but I think you're being pretty harsh on Pesch.

I understand your point, but keep in mind that experience as a professional player doesn't give you experience as a coach and doesn't make you a better coach necessarily.

However, I remarked that between former players who became coaches, it seems that those who had a defensive role as players seems to understand better the game than those who had an offensive role.

Let's all take a sip of reality juice...do you really think we have a choice of who is on our list of candidates. The fact that someone wants the job is a positive. The best candidate for the job coaches our women's team. So if Pesh wants the job he has two years to learn it.

I don't have much confidence that Pesch would do a good job. The fact that he seems to be publicly campaigning for the job gives me some comfort, as if he was really first in line to the throne he wouldn't need to do so.

Being Canadian is just about the last thing that matters for this position.

I understand your point, but keep in mind that experience as a professional player doesn't give you experience as a coach and doesn't make you a better coach necessarily.

However, I remarked that between former players who became coaches, it seems that those who had a defensive role as players seems to understand better the game than those who had an offensive role.

One exception being Sir Fergie, perhaps the most succesful manager in the history of the game.

Marsch is almost the last person in the world who should be given the job. Pesch would be a bit better. My impression, is a short term hire/or promotion to take the team (whoever that is at this point) through the GC. After which point a proper hire will hopefully be made.

One exception being Sir Fergie, perhaps the most succesful manager in the history of the game.

Marsch is almost the last person in the world who should be given the job. Pesch would be a bit better. My impression, is a short term hire/or promotion to take the team (whoever that is at this point) through the GC. After which point a proper hire will hopefully be made.

I never said I'd hire Marsch as the coach. That would be just as dissapointing. Just that Marsch has experience as an assistant on the international level. Being a player doesn't mean squat. Even the best players can't translate their skills and success on the pitch to coaching. Look at Maradona. He was basically a cheerleader riding on the coat tails of Messi and co. Look at Gheorghe Hagi from Romania, amazing player, but couldn't beat Slovenia in '02 to make the World Cup.

What Canada needs to do is hire a COMPETENT EXPERIENCED coach that can inspire and bring in new tactics and dynamics. CSA if they were serious would do this, but if they hire Paul they know he'll work for them, and it will be another waste (4 years) of experimentation/band aid. Enough of giving under qualified coaches cracks at a national job. Bring in one that knows what he's doing.

List of Coaches who:

i) - have CONCACAF experience;

ii) - have led a team through to the hex;

iii) - are not currently employed;

iv) - may accept the job (salary, etc.);

v) - will not be ancient (under 65) by 2018 WC

---------------------------------------------

Total - 1

Carlos de los Cobos

These are 5 important traits that are required for CMNT to be successful in the short term. I feel that they can also be made up with who we surround the head coach with. What if we get a bigger name head coach who will have 3/5 traits but get Pesch as an assistant to make up what is lacking (ie. experience in CONCACAF cauldrons). That way Pesch can get international managing experience (which is non-existant) but isn't too tied up to manage a club, as Forrest stated, he doesn't have much experience in either. Pesch's eagerness is something to be admired though.

List of Coaches who:

i) - have CONCACAF experience;

ii) - have led a team through to the hex;

iii) - are not currently employed;

iv) - may accept the job (salary, etc.);

v) - will not be ancient (under 65) by 2018 WC

---------------------------------------------

Total - 1

Carlos de los Cobos

I appreciate the logical criteria, however I suspect de Los Cobas would not be a good fit.

i) de Los Cobas struggled as a coach in the MLS.

ii) his approach to the game did not work in the MLS because (a) the players available on a MLS roster lack technical ability and (b)he couldnt adapt to the style of play in the league

iii) Canada's player pool is stocked with players that are similar in profile to the MLS players

iv) we need a coach who can get the most out of the type of player that our development system is currently producing

• 2 weeks later...

Never really heard of him.

He has coached (a lot of solid assistant gigs) for years at average levels, had a so-so time as Iran's national coach. Nothing really exciting about him. He does has experience in the US, and at the INT level though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afshin_Ghotbi

http://www.afshinghotbi.com/en

Though some fan (or he) put him together a website.

From Twitter:

‏@JohnnyDuerden: Rumours that Shimizu S-Pulse coach Afshin Ghotbi has been offered the Canada national team job.

Duerden is a Brit who lives in Korea and writes about Asian football.

Don't know much about him other than what is on Wikipedia but judging solely from that he would certainly be an interesting choice with a pretty good CV in relation to what we can afford. He has worked as assistent to coaches like Hiddink and Advocaat, has been a national team head coach before as well as some experience as club coach with a fair degree of success in each endeavor. If that is combined with a good reputation in the countries where he has worked I would be happy with his appointment if it were true. Is there anyone here who follows Iranian, Korean or Japanese football close enough to comment on how he is regarded in these countries?

Never really heard of him.

He has coached (a lot of solid assistant gigs) for years at average levels, had a so-so time as Iran's national coach. Nothing really exciting about him. He does has experience in the US, and at the INT level though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afshin_Ghotbi

http://www.afshinghotbi.com/en

Though some fan (or he) put him together a website.

I think he had a pretty good run in Iran. They missed out on World Cup Qualifying with a 2-5-1 record in the Group of Death by only one point (the two groups of Asian qualifying were unbalanced that year). Then he followed that up with some pretty good friendly results and a good run in the Asian Cup where they lost in extra time to Korea in the quarter-final (after a perfect record in the group stage despite again getting the Group of Death) after which he resigned. Iran has a good team but are far from strong enough to be expected to qualify every WC and it is a very difficult country to work in, not only with the overall political situation but with the politics within the federation and between the various club teams.

I think he had a pretty good run in Iran. They missed out on World Cup Qualifying with a 2-5-1 record in the Group of Death by only one point (the two groups of Asian qualifying were unbalanced that year). Then he followed that up with some pretty good friendly results and a good run in the Asian Cup where they lost in extra time to Korea in the quarter-final (after a perfect record in the group stage despite again getting the Group of Death) after which he resigned. Iran has a good team but are far from strong enough to be expected to qualify every WC and it is a very difficult country to work in, not only with the overall political situation but with the politics within the federation and between the various club teams.

Very interesting CV. I wonder if the political sanctions against them have affected their(the (F.F.I.R.I.)'s ) funding?

Archived