Next coach ?

Winnipeg Fury

As I said in my earlier post, if you want a good coach, you need to pay mucho dinero. I doubt Colombia get far in the WC so there is a chance he resigns if they don't get out of the group stage. I think Pekerman could also be instrumental in setting the program for the development of the U17 and U20 programs, so he's worth paying top dollar for. If he can get Canada to the WC, the ROI is pretty compelling. I would make that type of investment.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Completely understand what your saying, and I was going to edit that post and mention that I understand the importance of determination.

I am glad you see my point though.

Yes I do. We need to identify skilled players who have heart and then build the youth teams around them.

I disagree with those saying he'd need international experience. Good club experience is enough in a competitive league.

The reason is that international coaching is very boring for most young coaches, it is a typically retirement type job. It is cushy for most, you go into it older. You play max 12 games a year, while a club coach could have over 40 easy. So they are older guys, and they have worked for other nations, and that prices them out of Canada and makes them think about factors like where family would like to go, where life would be good. Canada is not ideal for these guys, apart from not having a league to follow.

Simply put, we cannot pay or attract with other amenities anyone who is good coaching a national team, who is senior and has already made way more in a club career. International experience ruins our options basically for someone younger, more ambitious, interested in a new challenge, and not yet into a higher million-a-year salary range.

I would pick anyone who has coached a team in Argentina, Brazil, including 2nd tier. Any coach with English and who has travelled from any lesser SA league though with success, or even Libertadores experience. From Europe anyone up and on the rise in the top four 2nd divisions and with a modest team in France, Holland, Russia and any of another 6-8 countries. It is a wide pool.

Anytime anyone here suggests anyone known to the majority, he is ignoring we cannot pay for that kind of coach.

Pekerman would be amazing, but as with any coach, it's all about the commitment behind his hiring that would make-or-break it.

Fail to give him the resources he needs to succeed and it would be a waste. Give him carte blanche and he could be inspirational.

Totally agree. I don't know the story around Osieck but, it looked to me that you had a good coach but not the right support system around him. Hopefully, something learned from this experience so that it is not repeated.

I would like to see Leo Beenhakker. He is older coach who qualified to WC 2006 with Trinidad and Tobago. In 2008 he managed to qualify Poland for Euro 2008. He didn’t have much impact on national teams like Saudi Arabia and Holland. Beside international successes, Beenhakker was working with Ajax, Feyenoord, Real Madrid, Real Zaragoza, Club America. On base whom he coached, I would like to think that he is no stranger to “latino style soccer”

He has a good pedigree but, he strikes me as someone better to bring in for short-term mandates, similar to Bora Milutinovic. I don't think we are going to have a long queue of candidates, therefore, if he is interested, he should be on the short-list and reviewed. If he can build an overall program leveraging his experience with first class clubs like Real Madrid and Ajax, he could be a gem.

Paez esta sin equipo en este momento. El ultimo club/pais que entreno fue Millonarios de Colombia en 2011.

Paez is without a team at this moment. The last club/country he coached was Millonarios from Colombia in 2011.

y Pibe? Que hace? Lo vi in Barranquilla hace 3 anos asistiendo una Rumba!

Johnny van't Schip's Chivas team went out of the CONCACAF CL last night, can't look too good on him. The CSA should keep an eye on his situation down there...

He certainly seems to fit the bill. Played at Ajax and Genoa and Dutch NT. Managed at Twente, Ajax, Malbourne, and Chivas. Assistant coach of Dutch NT under Marco van Basten.

Experience coaching in International football: Check

Experience at a high level as a player: Check

Experience coaching at big clubs in Europe: Check

Experience coaching in CONCACAF: Check

Canadian connection: Check

Johnny van't Schip's Chivas team went out of the CONCACAF CL last night, can't look too good on him. The CSA should keep an eye on his situation down there...

Definitely an interesting suggestion. Maybe a bit too soon in his career though? National team jobs often seem to be for elder statesmen type coaches nowadays with careers that are winding down where club level competition is concerned. Also might be out of the CSA's price range in salary terms? My suggestion would be Colin Clarke. Has got the job done in CONCACAF competition at the club level, has played at the highest level in Europe and should be affordable given he is an NASL coach at the moment.

I was just thinking about this today, I'm curious if we are just going to see a head coaching overhaul or a system overhaul. Hart is gone, but the guy he trusted most within the national team program Tony Fonseca is still there, as is Nick Dasovic. I would be very surprised if Dasovic leaves before 2013 U-20 World Cup Qualifying, since he has already coached the team in several camps and a tournament, but beyond qualifying and hopefully the U-20 World Cup it will be interesting to see what happens.

If we bring in someone from outside the CSA's pool (which we are all desperately hoping for) then they are put in an interesting position. Obviously they'll have their own assistant or assistants they'd like to bring in, but I also think it is important that someone on that bench has a bit of long-term experience in Canadian soccer. Fonseca and Dasovic obviously both fit the role. I think under Hart's tenure using the same coaching staff for the U-23s and national team allowed for a smoother transition between the two programs. A bi reason why we saw guys like Samuel Piette and Lucas Cavallini get chances with the full team, so I'd expect this to continue.

I think Fonseca will leave with Hart considering it really was both of their team, as they'd worked very closely together. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Dasovic become an assistant with the full national team, probably alongside whoever the new coach choses to bring in. Then the same trio could work with the U-23 team and have Dasovic or the new senior team assistant take over head coaching duties. If Dasovic does get this promotion I honestly wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) to see Hart take on the U-20 team.

As for the U-17 team I expect Fleming to continue there with his success in 2011.

Whatever happens I hope that it is a clear decision made about the entire men's program all at once so that there is a smooth transition mechanism for moving players up from the U-17 team right on the senior team.

Sounds like a done deal. At least Pesch used to be a forward and a good one at it.

I'm not sure it's a done deal. He was making his pitch. However, I hope he will provide the CSA with that list of players who have Canadian ties regardless of him being the coach. We need former players pumping the National team's tires. We need everyone with influence pushing in the same direction.

List of Coaches who:

i) - have CONCACAF experience;

ii) - have led a team through to the hex;

iii) - are not currently employed;

iv) - may accept the job (salary, etc.);

v) - will not be ancient (under 65) by 2018 WC

---------------------------------------------

Total - 1

Carlos de los Cobos

List of Coaches who:

i) - have CONCACAF experience;

ii) - have led a team through to the hex;

iii) - are not currently employed;

iv) - may accept the job (salary, etc.);

v) - will not be ancient (under 65) by 2018 WC

---------------------------------------------

Total - 1

Carlos de los Cobos

Though I really do hope he is on the radar.

Sounds like a done deal. At least Pesch used to be a forward and a good one at it.

Pesch was a good forward??? What? He was horrible. He just ran around all the time. I can't recall him making any wonder strike or goal since I followed CMNT in 2000. And he is considered an actual candidate to be a coach??? What? OMG another blunder. What has he done to be a International Coach? Enough of this old boys club favourites.

Archived