Next coach ?

Winnipeg Fury

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first day on the job for whoever the new coach is should be to sit down with Marsch, Mariner, and Rennie (or whoever may be there at the time) to discuss how the relationship between the national team (at senior and youth levels) and the professional clubs should work. Let's have a universal development strategy across the three clubs that we can institute across Canada and that will help for future national team camps.

I would also like to see John Limniatis. He is intense, and does know how to win (let's forget the game at Santos Laguna).

If not, then I agree that we need a coach from Central or South America. We need to learn how to win in Central America, or we're never going to the World Cup.

I've mentioned him in the past when discussing candidates. He was making $450K/yr coaching Serbia, but that might have been at a home country discount. Couldn't hurt to find out though.

I'd also thrown out the names Vahid Halihodzic and Henri Michel, but they're currently coaching Algeria and Kenya respectively...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vahid_Halilhod%C5%BEi%C4%87

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Michel

Highly doubt that happens - he will ask for high pay-wage - which the CSA will most likely turn down IMO.

Again, my choice would be Venezuelan Richard Paez - and I think he won't be "as" expensive - but could be a worthwhile investment.

Canada overall can learn a bit from Venezuela, as they have some similaries. Venezuela is a country where Baseball is #1, and everything else is second. Hence, why they struggled to field strong teams. Canada has a similar fate with Hockey being #1 and everything else second. Venezuela up to about 2000-2001, was the running joke of South America, as they would lose ALL WC qualifying and Copa America games, with the odd draw here and there. Richard Paez was named the Venezuelan head coach in 2001, and turned the philosophy around and gave belief to the Venezuelan players that they can compete. At the same time, he had a stronghold on the U-17 and U-20 teams to assure that they were being developed accurately. During Paez's reign as head coach (up to 2007), they were getting results - not just results, but WINS - AWAY from home in Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Bolivia, etc. Likewise, in 2007, qualified for the Copa America QF's, and in 2011 - to the Semis.

From being the laughing stock in South America, Venezuela is currently in position to qualify for its first EVER world cup, sitting in 4th place in Conmebol qualifying. A lot of this hard work is due to Venezuela's current coach - Cesar Farias; but the blueprint in my opinion was laid down by Richard Paez.

Even if we don't get Paez, someone in the CSA should look at Venezuela as an example on what to do to turn around national programs.

+10000

I'd say Martin Rennie. Yes he has had a bad 2nd half in MLS, with his recent signings and I have a grudge against his Scottish experiment, but the man is known to have been successful in almost all teams he has coached or turned around and has a UEFA coaching license that mot even Stephen Hart had. I only mentioned Rennie cuz knowing the CSA's budget doubt we could hire a respectable profiled coach in CONCACAF or Europe.

After what he said about our Canadian refereeing in the Voyageurs Cup, just imagine how he would deal with CONCACAF officiating. It would be hilarious. He really has no idea.

Am I a terrible person for hoping that Chivas suck so that Johan van Schip becomes available?

I hope not because I too am hoping for some reason for him leaving Chivas and coming "home". If he's a success there, we may have missed the boat on a great opportunity to have an upcoming manager whose positive career trajectory we could have fit into (plus he prob wouldn't have commanded a large salary).

My first choice too. Not sure if he would want to leave England at this point though. Coaching at Burton>anything Hart has done. I would not go the foreign route for a coach.

Would he really be your first choice, or do you mean he is your first choice for Canadian born coaches who are currently available?

My first choice too. Not sure if he would want to leave England at this point though. Coaching at Burton>anything Hart has done. I would not go the foreign route for a coach.

I think we should be aiming higher than someone who has only few years managing a League Two side. In a few years and if Pesch actually does something to merit a look, sure. Certainly he understands how frustrating it is to play in Central America...

Teitur Thordarson. Has done wonders for other low ranked countries and given the implossion of the India league he may be available. A tough, no nonsense, UEFA A license who speaks English & French.

Would be within our budget.

Teitur Tots? The guy who couldn't hack it in MLS?

I think the bar should be set a little higher

Would he really be your first choice, or do you mean he is your first choice for Canadian born coaches who are currently available?

Yeah, first choice period at this point. If someone can name a Canadian coach who is better I can easily change my mind. I don't see the fact that he was only in league 2 as an issue. I realise a lot of his players were probably Clough conference buys, but he did decent for a few years in a league that is certainly a tough league to build with no money and get out of. I mean Hart and his worldwide legendary status with Halifax King of Donair!

Teitur Tots? The guy who couldn't hack it in MLS?

I think the bar should be set a little higher

Yea the guy who had a weak team with injuries to major players and still kept his team in every game. No blowouts. A lot of disappointing one goal losses but no utter abject humiliations. Given the players and control that Rennie has this year who knows how it would have turned out.

He would be in our price range, he is qualified, he did a great improvement for other weak countries.

Teitur Tots? The guy who can't even manage his team to beat TFC under Aron Winter?

Let's set standard higher here. Playing in this region(CONCACAF) is whole different animal. We need a manager who's familiar with this region and can put together a team that can play both technical and physical while being successful against CONCACAF teams.

I am in favour to hire a manager from Mexico or South America who is familiar how Central american teams play.

Hart did a good job laying down the foundation, but now it's time to go next level which Hart isn't capable of doing so we need a new manager who can accomplish that.

Except we have so few players who CAN play technical. Sorry but we just don't. The Venezulan chap would be great. If he can do it for them then why not us? The parallels are many. But the $$ issue. The CSA are not going to shell out much if anything. In our price range who do we have for choices?

If we can find someone better for the same $$ then fine. But that will always be the first roadblock to working with the CSA.

People are also tossing out DS and JL and they are less qualified than TT. I think those who said what we need and what we will get will be completely different are correct. More of the same I'm afraid. Sad but true. Oh and I was only half joking about bringing Tony Waiters back :)

I'm thinking a qualified Spanish speaking coach might be the way to go to be honest.

We know that with our support our boys can play with anyone at home but our trouble is the road matches. A Spanish speaking coach would have a bit of an inside track and knowledge of what it takes to win in hot climates, with Spanish speaking refs and bumpy pitches.

I'm not too familiar with South American coaches so I'll let someone else throw out suggestions. That Venezuelan sounds like he'd be worth a look.

I'm not too familiar with South American coaches so I'll let someone else throw out suggestions. That Venezuelan sounds like he'd be worth a look.

Claudio Borgui from Chile, Washington Tabarez from Uruguay, if he is fired because some bad results; however, the old man is a master mind.

I wrote about Freddy Ternero from Peru who made a mid peruvian team won Copa Sudamericana.

Paez is a good opcion. Francisco Maturana from Colombia or bring any Argentinian guy.

Not Latin, but what about Bora Milutinovic?

Is Holger still a hated guy here?

Archived