Next coach ?

Winnipeg Fury

We need to start playing youth but the idea that we need to think about 2022 and not 2018 is sheet idiocy. A good coach can do a lot for a team and while we need to plan for the future the focus of the senior team should be to qualify for every cycle.

This x1000

I am no mood to look for it now, but I can certainly remember posts like this being made during last cycle about just throwing away the '14 WC to prepare for '18.

Well, as much as this is a very bad time to point it out, this team was certainly more competitive than the '10 cycle team. This isn't like building a club team where you play 40 games per year and over time everything balances out. You play 16 matches over two years and you qualify. A good tactical coach (or a goddamn forward that can score goals) can get that done even if the team doesn't have 11 all-stars on the pitch.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say Martin Rennie. Yes he has had a bad 2nd half in MLS, with his recent signings and I have a grudge against his Scottish experiment, but the man is known to have been successful in almost all teams he has coached or turned around and has a UEFA coaching license that mot even Stephen Hart had. I only mentioned Rennie cuz knowing the CSA's budget doubt we could hire a respectable profiled coach in CONCACAF or Europe.

I'd say Martin Rennie. Yes he has had a bad 2nd half in MLS, with his recent signings and I have a grudge against his Scottish experiment, but the man is known to have been successful in almost all teams he has coached or turned around and has a UEFA coaching license that mot even Stephen Hart had. I only mentioned Rennie cuz knowing the CSA's budget doubt we could hire a respectable profiled coach in CONCACAF or Europe.

Well there in lies the problem. CSA should go to great lengths to fix their funding problem first, then hire a coach. Think about it this way: we couldn't afford this and couldn't afford that this cycle... well now we have probably lost 10 million dollars plus in revenue that might have come our way should we have qualified after advancing to the hex.

If the people running the CSA can't pull their heads out of their assess long enough to find the money to hire a proper coach, they should step aside and find someone who will. There is money available to this organization if they pulled the right stings and did the right things. Their biggest obstacle is their own incompetence which is self perpetuating.

I can't believe there is anyone even questioning whether Hart should be replaced! He should have resigned following this match, he isn't totally to blame for this failure but his fingerprints were all over it! I knew we were in trouble when I read the starting 11!

Marc Dos Santos also has a UEFA “A” License ... oh and he's Canadian.

Will only comment on the candidates I'm familiar with:

Frank Yallop: Forgive my ignorance by what was so bad about Yallop... not results wise, but not sure what you mean by some of his selections being "an absolute unethical disaster"??? (@ Grizzly)

Aaron Winter: That's a joke right?

Teitur Thordarson: Thordarson, wouldn't be my first choice, but he's actually got a half decent resume for the job. Turned Estonian football from punchline to punching above their wait, and has an extensive (yet not stellar) club resume. I believe he's a man who's best is behind him though, and behind the times in terms of his approach and the sophistication of his man management and tactics. I hope our next coach is a Herdmann type. Coach on the rise with that thinks the game and performance in a modern way. More than the coach needs to change though.

Rennie: fits the above ideal profile a lot better. Only he's lacking completely in terms of a track record of coaching national sides, let alone turning one around. In all honesty however, I doubt very much the CSA would have the budget even to attract him, and I further doubt very much any self respecting coach who is currently enjoying a relatively stable job situation would even bother giving the CSA the time of day.

Marc Dos Santos: I like the experience he's getting down in Brazil, and he wasn't exactly a smashing success coaching at the sr. pro level, so I would rather he remains where he is currently. Not saying he would be a horrible choice though. We could do worse, but we could certainly do better.

I can't believe there is anyone even questioning whether Hart should be replaced! He should have resigned following this match, he isn't totally to blame for this failure but his fingerprints were all over it! I knew we were in trouble when I read the starting 11!

+1000000!!!!

Will only comment on the candidates I'm familiar with:

Frank Yallop: Forgive my ignorance by what was so bad about Yallop... not results wise, but by "unethical" selections??? Not sure what you mean?

Aaron Winter: That's a joke right?

Teitur Thordarson: Thordarson, wouldn't be my first choice, but he's actually got a half decent resume for the job. Turned Estonian football from punchline to punching above their wait, and has an extensive (yet not stellar) club resume. I believe he's a man who's best is behind him though, and behind the times in terms of his approach and the sophistication of his man management and tactics. I hope our next coach is a Herdmann type. Coach on the rise with that thinks the game and performance in a modern way. More than the coach needs to change though.

Rennie: fits the above ideal profile a lot better. Only really lacking in terms of a track record of coaching national sides or any proven track let alone turning one around. In all honesty however, I doubt very much the CSA would have the budget even to attract him, and I further doubt very much any self respecting coach who is currently enjoying a relatively stable job situation would even bother giving the CSA the time of day.

Marc Dos Santos: I like the experience he's getting down in Brazil, and he wasn't exactly a smashing success coaching at the sr. pro level, so I would rather he remains where he is currently. Not saying he would be a horrible choice though. We could do worse, but we could certainly do better.

The Aron Winter comment was a joke, but however Winter had success in CONCACAF Champions league unlike rest of managers you have listed in your list.

I personally think we need an experience international manager not just MLS manager. International soccer isn't same as club/domestic soccer.

Frank Yallop: Forgive my ignorance by what was so bad about Yallop... not results wise, but not sure what you mean by some of his selections being "an absolute unethical disaster"??? (@ Grizzly)

Yallop's tenure was rife with favouritism and selection of players based on how much he liked them personally rather than on merit. Plus there was the odd selection of Jamie Peters at 17 who while talented was no where close to meriting a senior teams call (way below the level of Cavallini or Piette at the time) who then went and signed suspiciously at Yallops former team Ipswich. The calling up lots of USL players most of whom were not very good while ignoring players like Nsaliwa. Calling up and playing Carlo Corrazin when he was clearly over the hill (not to mention overweight). I could go on and on about the bad decisions Yallop made. And even worse he took no personal responsibility for any of it and at one point publicly blamed the players (contrast that to Hart's comments today where he took responsibility). Rarely did Yallop select anything close to what any knowledgeable soccer person would consider our best players. I think both Mitchell and Hart are pretty poor coaches by international standards but at least they put our best players on the pitch. Yallop was by far the worst Canada coach I have experienced since following the team.

And I will repeat it again, if Yallop is the alternative, keep Hart. I never want to see Yallop coach the national team again.

Wow, you want to hire a guy who already had a WCQ cycle and failed miserably and who's team selections were an absolute unethical disaster? Hart has to go but if the alternative is Yallop then I would rather keep Hart.

We need to start playing youth but the idea that we need to think about 2022 and not 2018 is sheet idiocy. A good coach can do a lot for a team and while we need to plan for the future the focus of the senior team should be to qualify for every cycle. We need an experienced coach with a history of success and national team experience. Obviously we can not afford the big names but there are many guys out there who could be had at a reasonable cost who are extensively more qualified than our last 3 head coaches. I have always mentioned former Energie Cottbus and Slovenian national team coach Bojan Prasnikar as a good candidate if he were interested. I think one could put together a fairly good list of similarly qualified coaches.

That was intended to be sarcastic. Guess I should have made that more clear.

Guest MellonCollie

The next coach and the CSA's MNT strategy should all be about qualifying for the next WC. We need a Latin American perspective as we can't get the results away from home.

From such a cursory look around Ricardo La Volpe (former Mexixo and Costa Rica) looks an option.

The European/Anglo-saxon managers have not worked.

I would like to see Leo Beenhakker. He is older coach who qualified to WC 2006 with Trinidad and Tobago. In 2008 he managed to qualify Poland for Euro 2008. He didn’t have much impact on national teams like Saudi Arabia and Holland. Beside international successes, Beenhakker was working with Ajax, Feyenoord, Real Madrid, Real Zaragoza, Club America. On base whom he coached, I would like to think that he is no stranger to “latino style soccer”

The CSA is cheap. Wouldn't surprise me if Hart stays on for 1-2 more years. The next permanent coach will be hired right before qualifying starts again.

If Hart does step down, I could see a Dasovic or Fonseca in as interim coach.

The best thing Hart had going for him was the ample preparation ahead of this cycle with the players. Up until yesterday the team had locked cohesive and organized and I think a lot of that was the three years they had together under Hart previously. It's important the CSA do that again and get the guy to lead us to 2018 right away, no delaying for a couple years.

Archived