Next coach ?

Winnipeg Fury

This rumour is probably credible, considering Duerden is one of foremost expert in Asian football.

A lot of experience being an assistant, 1 World Cup with Korea in 06. I highly doubt Guus Hiddink would hire an idiot to work for him in any capacity. But on his own as manager, not so good, although Iran, traditionally a powerhouse in Asia, has been going through some generation change for WC 2010 qualifiers. Got knocked out by Korea in Asian Cup 2011, which is not a slam on him really.

Some Iranian commentators like his American 'can do' attitude, but others criticize his tactics, saying sometimes too overly cautious. His coaching badges come from USSF 'A' level.

I'll dig a bit more, but considering his experience (pretty much all Asian), he's going to be relying on Tony Fonseca a lot initially, plus whoever he brings in as assistant. It's a big risk. If going for someone outside CONCACAF, I'd have liked someone with more pedigree of success than this guy.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some Iranian commentators like his American 'can do' attitude, but others criticize his tactics, saying sometimes too overly cautious. His coaching badges come from USSF 'A' level.
Obviously we need somebody with a "can-do" attitude. Sounds to me a little bit like Hart with his "too overly cautious" tactics.

It's a big risk.
Yup. To be honest, I'd rather go with the risky choice now. If he drastically f__k's up, we have time to change coach post-Gold Cup and pre-2015.

If going for someone outside CONCACAF, I'd have liked someone with more pedigree of success than this guy.
I think we all would, but what does the money say?

I follow Iranian football and I have done research on his "resume" from the time he entered Iran to coach Perspolis. He is a hoax and he got the jobs in Iran with lies and a huge lobby. When he took over Iran NT, he claimed that he knew North and South Korea like the back of his hand and that he would take Iran to WC for sure...In his resume, he has a playing career of 81-85 as player with UCLA while that is not true: he played 1 year with UCLA as a walk-on. He "coached" UCLA women's team from 84 to 88(starting at the age of 20!!), but he doesn't mention that they were not playing in any league at that time...He was not part of US staff for WC 98. His jobs in Korea were as software analyst...The list goes on and on, this guy is full of lies and deceit. He would be good for analyst jobs, he should not be given the right to coach at this level.

I follow Iranian football and I have done research on his "resume" from the time he entered Iran to coach Perspolis. He is a hoax and he got the jobs in Iran with lies and a huge lobby. When he took over Iran NT, he claimed that he knew North and South Korea like the back of his hand and that he would take Iran to WC for sure...In his resume, he has a playing career of 81-85 as player with UCLA while that is not true: he played 1 year with UCLA as a walk-on. He "coached" UCLA women's team from 84 to 88(starting at the age of 20!!), but he doesn't mention that they were not playing in any league at that time...He was not part of US staff for WC 98. His jobs in Korea were as software analyst...The list goes on and on, this guy is full of lies and deceit. He would be good for analyst jobs, he should not be given the right to coach at this level.

Even if all of your research turns out to be correct, he still has a more impressive coaching resume than either of our previous two managers.

I can not comment on how accurate his CV is. However, whether his CV is accurate or not, saying he is a hoax and not competent enough to coach at this level seems way out of line given his accomplishments to date. If he is a hoax shouldn't he be falling on his face in all these coaching positions he is getting? He was coach of the biggest team in Iran and brought them to the title in the first year he was there. Despite them having the most fan support in the country they had not won a title in the 6 years prior to him taking over and have not won the title since he left. And he left the club not because they were doing poorly but because of problems with the club chairman and others in Iranian soccer management. He was popular with fans of the team and was called the Emperor. His tenure as national team coach was also mostly successful with a record of 16 wins, 6 draws and 8 loses. They did not qualify for the WC but as I stated earlier they were in a tough group, of the 5 teams only UAE was weak the other 3 besides Iran in the group were either better or as good as Iran and only two qualified while the 3rd went into a playoff (some may remember the shocking upset of Saudi Arabia by Bahrain). The 2nd and 3rd place teams in the group both only had one more point than Iran. And Iran is anything but the powerhouse in Asia that someone claimed earlier in the thread, they have qualified 3 times in the 8 WCQ they have entered and are currently in 3rd in their group right now behind Uzbekistan and South Korea. Then he had a bunch of mostly good friendly results with Iran until the Asian Cup in which they had a perfect record in the group stage with Iraq, North Korea and UAE in their group until losing in the quarter-final to South Korea in extra time. Since then he has taken over a traditionally mid-table Japanese team and they are currently 9th in the 18th team league.

Regardless of how accurate his CV is or whether he is the right fit for Canada, this hardly seems like a coach that is a hoax or incompetent.

Just saw this for the first time. It would be a travesty if that wasn't considered for goal of the year in it's day. Considering Hassli's passable Volley was.

I would even call that a Premier League goal of the century candidate, certainly top 100. Ridiculous margins on it. Video game stuff.

Never really heard of him.

He has coached (a lot of solid assistant gigs) for years at average levels, had a so-so time as Iran's national coach. Nothing really exciting about him. He does has experience in the US, and at the INT level though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afshin_Ghotbi

http://www.afshinghotbi.com/en

Though some fan (or he) put him together a website.

Interesting, it mentions that he took part in Ahmadinejad's inauguration ceremony after his controversial re-election in 2009. Ya'll remember the one with the protests, where protester Neda Agha-Soltan was murdered by para-military group Basij while the police watched.

This guy can stay in Japan, as far away from the CMNT as possible.

Just saw this for the first time. It would be a travesty if that wasn't considered for goal of the year in it's day. Considering Hassli's passable Volley was.

I would even call that a Premier League goal of the century candidate, certainly top 100. Ridiculous margins on it. Video game stuff.

lol awesome goal I agree, but I'd call Hassli's goal a little more than passable personally. For me, goal of the century so far to Ibrahimovic though, would you agree?

History will tell though, history tends to remember more meaningful goals (ie occurs World Cup Finals, or Euro Finals) but that one by the Swede just about gave me diabetes.

Claudio Borghi is now available after being fired as head coach of Chile.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1250034/jorge-sampaoli-to-replace-claudio-borghi-as-chile-coach?cc=5901

Also, John van't Schip might be unemployed soon as the guy who hired him (a certain Johan Cruyff) has been booted out at Chivas:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/conversation?id=1249471&cc=5901

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/114/mexico/2012/10/26/3480332/john-vant-schip-i-will-not-resign-from-chivas

He just barely squeeked them into 8th place and a spot in the Liguilla where they were bounced 5-2 agg. in the QF's by eventual finalists Toluca.

lol awesome goal I agree, but I'd call Hassli's goal a little more than passable personally. For me, goal of the century so far to Ibrahimovic though, would you agree?

History will tell though, history tends to remember more meaningful goals (ie occurs World Cup Finals, or Euro Finals) but that one by the Swede just about gave me diabetes.

Hassli's finish was good, more for the fact it was a volley from a cross, but he was within the 18. Pesch is a little guy, so for him to hit it like that...

Though in retrospect, 'goal of the century' was a bit much. Certainly top 100 premier league goals.

Some goals, even if they don't 'mean' as much, can contend based on sheer technical merit. I am not familiar with the Zlata goal of which you speak.

Claudio Borghi is now available after being fired as head coach of Chile.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1250034/jorge-sampaoli-to-replace-claudio-borghi-as-chile-coach?cc=5901

Also, John van't Schip might be unemployed soon as the guy who hired him (a certain Johan Cruyff) has been booted out at Chivas:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/conversation?id=1249471&cc=5901

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/114/mexico/2012/10/26/3480332/john-vant-schip-i-will-not-resign-from-chivas

He just barely squeeked them into 8th place and a spot in the Liguilla where they were bounced 5-2 agg. in the QF's by eventual finalists Toluca.

Got bounced out of the CONCACAF CL in the group stage too, didn't he? Not sure how seriously they take that competition in Mexico but it would have at least been a distraction from the poor league showing.

Hassli's finish was good, more for the fact it was a volley from a cross, but he was within the 18. Pesch is a little guy, so for him to hit it like that...

Though in retrospect, 'goal of the century' was a bit much. Certainly top 100 premier league goals.

Some goals, even if they don't 'mean' as much, can contend based on sheer technical merit. I am not familiar with the Zlata goal of which you speak.

The Zlata goal I'm referring to is the one I mean as goal of the century, not Hassli's, to be clear.

It was when he scored 4 goals against England a few weeks ago. Link here

Would be a great choice but would he even want the job? I am still hoping for John V'ant Schip. At least he has a connection to Canada (lived here until he was 8) and speaks perfect english (most latin coaches we suggest may not).

Only two doubts are:

A) Will cost too much

B) Still coaching C.D. Guadalajara

• 2 weeks later...

I would be genuinely satisfied if Marsch was our next coach. Reading that article also makes me appreciate his character that much more. I already knew what his resume was, and I knew he is considered very intelligent, but I did not know he took the time to learn french as well. I think his character alone will be a hugh plus for our program.

Let's face it, we do not need a big European coach at this stage. With the state of the program, even Gus Hiddink wouldn't even be able to gaurentee us a WC birth. What we do need is a great character who will help our team overcome it's psycological deficiencies.

I have supported the idea of Van't Schip, or other latin american coaches with CONCACAF experience, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that Marsch is the best choice thus far: Has a bit of experience managing pro's, got a taste of CONCACAF as assistant to Bob Bradley, and has even played in a few international matches himself (not to mention over 200 MLS apperances).

Archived