Is it time to replace FCE coaches?

Max

FCE is doing very poorly. The team can’t score goals. In 16 games they found back of the net just 13 times. On the other hand they are not so bad in defense. The team lost 18 goals and from the statistic point of view, the team stands third in the league. I’m afraid that less and less people will be coming to watch games.

Is it time to replace coaches?

Looking at the situation from a far, here is what i have observed:

This is year two of the club and since the midway point in year one, the club has stopped winning. People can say that they made the playoffs but the fact of the matter is that since approx canada day 2011, the club has stopped winning and, managed to hold on to the final playoff spot because of that hot start in 2011. Otherwise, they would have been down there with Atlanta or lower in the standing even last year.

So i would have to say that the downward trend didnt start recently. I cant say if its coaching, because i dont know. I'll let others, closer to the scene, speak to that one. But what i have noted is a phenomena not too dissimilar to what we saw with Aviators. And that is, the noble effect to focus strictly on development is bound to have consequences on the win loss column. And if you focus on local players only, then the law of averages is bound to bite you in the ass. FCE's opponents (American teams) have much larger base of talent to choose from. and lets not forget that NASL is pro league more than a development league so at some point, someone will have to decide: what is the strategy here? 1) Results? 2) development? or 3) a bit of both. If the answer is #2, then don't blame the coach if you are in last place.

Logic says that they will or should go with "bit of both". If that's the case, then focus only on the Canadians who truly have the tools to progress in the game. And forget about the rest. Fill those slots with capable professionals, regardless of nationality, who can help you win. That will mean fewer Canadians but will be better because those promising Canadians will be in a more competitive environment. Somewhere between what the Whitecaps are doing and what FCE are doing is the way to go IMO.

PS.: Canadian soccer is better off with FCE producing 1-2 players for the national team pools (eg.: U20, U17, U23) than none at all while providing employment opportunities for more Canadians.

What might seem strange is that Yesterdays gate was 1600, in the middle of the Sh##tiest day, weatherwise, of the year.

Note that the Yellowhead (transcontinental highway) was declared flooded and impassable about the same time that the team took the field. (no-Subs jokes please)

Again note that Clarke only seats 1000-1200 seats. Strangley when the Teams was performing gates at the 3500 Foote were relativley not as good.

Or that their is immesurable goodwill on a local level to the Local Owners and his young "local' boys. their is also an atmosphere at the games unlike anything else in Alberta. To move to Clarke has been to find a small scale Venue that Begining to feel like a football club.

Still, The lines don't help, and I wouldn't mind a win or two.

AW, it should be noted that there is no competition to the professional games at Clarke in Alberta, so the fact that Clarke is the #1 atmosphere is somewhat moot.

Regarding Sinkgraven, I think they should let him finish out the year. If they miss the playoffs, turf him and hire someone new ASAP.

If I lived in Edmonton, I'd have season tickets. Wouldn't care about the weather either! Planning a trip there to take in a game soon! Guys, how easy is it to buy at the gate there? Is it necessary given what you are saying to buy tickets in advance?

Check with the FO , but I think they will still be pay at the gate. You may be standing.

Shemanator, didn't wihs to Imply it the #1 Atmoshpere in the City, but rather that its an idosyncratic one.

I'd rather not stand lol I'm lazy thanks for the tip!

If I lived in Edmonton, I'd have season tickets. Wouldn't care about the weather either! Planning a trip there to take in a game soon! Guys, how easy is it to buy at the gate there? Is it necessary given what you are saying to buy tickets in advance?

Show up when the gate opens (or soon after), buy a GA ticket, and you'll have lots of time to pick a seat, and even grab some food and a beer before the game starts.

AW, it should be noted that there is no competition to the professional games at Clarke in Alberta, so the fact that Clarke is the #1 atmosphere is somewhat moot.

Regarding Sinkgraven, I think they should let him finish out the year. If they miss the playoffs, turf him and hire someone new ASAP.

Might be better to start looking for a new coach and, leave him a few games at seasons end to see his vision of the team. That way he might see what some players are worth in case he needs to air the dressing room a little. As friendlies not always reflect the pressure of the season.

Damn thing knocked me out with a lengthy reply to this post. I can't be bothered to do it all again. but here's a tiny bit of it.

Free Kick, the problem isn't a local player problem. It is a coaching problem, but damn it all if Harry just wasn't just given an extension! Crazy stuff. Hard to understand. He's a stubborn SOB and all you have to do is look at how long he rode the Van Leerdam horse in the centre of the pitch. He took Saiko's spot and did F-all there for turned out to be about a season and a half. Look at FCE's record before that move and after. Ilya ain't got the goods. Not in Saiko's shoes for sure. He's had moments but very very fleeting. Harry pushed that choice through and never gave it up no matter how big of a whole was left behind. It was frustrating.

Our biggest disappointments by far have been expensive signings of international players like Pinto, Barthelemy and Augustyn. Especially Pinto and Barthelemy... Big bucks invested there as well in Van Leerdam. I wanted the Pinto and Barthelemy signings to workout. Big, massive, epic fail.

Canadian players not performing? Both of our high profile Canadian keepers failed to take a great opportunity given to them. Smits has been wonderful though. I think he might remain as Parker's backup. More, certainly, had been expected from Oppong too. The other's who have come in and out of the line up? it's tough to judge. Lassonde? Caceros? Maybe... But when you compare their play with Pinto or Barthelemy, they look like gold.

Our best players, easily, have been Saiko, Hamilton and Rago. All Alberta players and any one of those three would start and star anywhere else in the NASL. I would love to say Lam as well because you can see it in him but Harry has played him all over the field this season except for goalkeeper. It would be cool to see him play more regularly in his natural spot. I like Cox too but he's still only 19 years old! Good god, he's a big strong, fast and confident kid. It'll be fun to see where he ends up in two or three years.

It's not our local players that is holding us back. Not by a longshot.

The city here and the bureaucracy that keeps stands from being built and beer from being sold aren't helping matters either.

Comparing this team and the Aviators? I can barely comment of the suggestion. I think most of us saw the end of that Aviator nightmare about 2 or three games into the season. It's almost like comparing the Toronto Lynx to TFC. Almost.

Looking at the situation from a far, here is what i have observed:

This is year two of the club and since the midway point in year one, the club has stopped winning. People can say that they made the playoffs but the fact of the matter is that since approx canada day 2011, the club has stopped winning and, managed to hold on to the final playoff spot because of that hot start in 2011. Otherwise, they would have been down there with Atlanta or lower in the standing even last year.

So i would have to say that the downward trend didnt start recently. I cant say if its coaching, because i dont know. I'll let others, closer to the scene, speak to that one. But what i have noted is a phenomena not too dissimilar to what we saw with Aviators. And that is, the noble effect to focus strictly on development is bound to have consequences on the win loss column. And if you focus on local players only, then the law of averages is bound to bite you in the ass. FCE's opponents (American teams) have much larger base of talent to choose from. and lets not forget that NASL is pro league more than a development league so at some point, someone will have to decide: what is the strategy here? 1) Results? 2) development? or 3) a bit of both. If the answer is #2, then don't blame the coach if you are in last place.

Logic says that they will or should go with "bit of both". If that's the case, then focus only on the Canadians who truly have the tools to progress in the game. And forget about the rest. Fill those slots with capable professionals, regardless of nationality, who can help you win. That will mean fewer Canadians but will be better because those promising Canadians will be in a more competitive environment. Somewhere between what the Whitecaps are doing and what FCE are doing is the way to go IMO.

PS.: Canadian soccer is better off with FCE producing 1-2 players for the national team pools (eg.: U20, U17, U23) than none at all while providing employment opportunities for more Canadians.

Archived