Ontario Newspapers

Robert

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Letters to Penthouse is really professional journalism, I could be wrong though.

What, you don't believe Joe. My name's not Victor Montagliani. But hey, you're not worried. He's going to pull something off this month, ain't he? Ahh, I'm gonna leave Fatso alone for a while, at least until we going Oh for nine, and then he's all mine. Talk to you in September. I'll be on a holiday till then.

We now have our friendly.

Trinidad & Tobago

Trinidad and Tobago?

Well, colour me tickled. This is clearly not going to be a good preparation match, but merely a vehicle for the CSA to ruin the respiratory health of our players. Think about it: Tobago...Tobaco...Tobacco! It's a plot by none other than that reptiloid monster Mont Pete.

Trinidad and Tobago?

Well, colour me tickled. This is clearly not going to be a good preparation match, but merely a vehicle for the CSA to ruin the respiratory health of our players. Think about it: Tobago...Tobaco...Tobacco! It's a plot by none other than that reptiloid monster Mont Pete.

lol I was about to go what the hell are you talking about! It's a great preparation match! Then I read the rest of your post...almost had me!

Really? Playing Portugal is the best solution? I'm sorry, but I don't agree at all with that. Maybe that's why only one team is doing it, and the rest have competition more like ours?

Here's the danger. Say you play Portugal, and you have a good showing, proving you can be one of the best teams in the world. Right. Worked great for the States right before the opener, didn't it? Played Scotland, should have left it at that. But no, they had a friendly against Brazil as well. They got thumped 5-1. Destroyed their confidence. They had JUST enough time to get their confidence back, so they played a "minnow" like Canada. Their third friendly, right? Play as many friendlies as possible? Well, IN Toronto, Canada drew them in a game Canada should have won.

Had they stuck to their one game against Scotland, they would have barreled in with a lot more confidence.

It's a risky game. Had they played well against Brazil even MORE confidence.

But playing Portugal? If you get thumped...it's risky business on team morale, and for Team Canada...I'd want to go against a team I have a reasonable chance of beating. Build that unity, build that confidence, enter September on a high. Not to jinx the match agaisnt T&T, but hey, from a direction perspective, you think playing Portugal right now is a good thing?

Save that friendly for if we get PAST the hex...at THAT point is when we'll need it. Not now...right now it's a terrible idea. Back to the chalkboard please, Robert.

(laughs) Right after I posted that, I linked to the page theaub loaded. I agreed more with you then, rather than now. Maybe it doesn't matter WHO you play in a friendly as long as you play well in the game. Maybe it's random like that...but I still think I'd rather play T&T in Florida for cheap now, then spend a bunch of money bringing Portugal to Canada and playing in Canada conditions to prepare for a central american based team that plays nothing like Portugal and plays more like T&T will.

Can anyone really argue against that, purely from a preperation standpoint?

Archived