Ontario Newspapers

Robert

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's implied. with his failure to market correctly, he has placed the blame on canadian soccer fans instead:

"And I don't buy that it's the CSA's fault for not marketing it correctly. If you are a fan of the game in Canada you should be out supporting your country when they play"

we have tried this - it's not successful.

it's implied. with his failure to market correctly, he has placed the blame on canadian soccer fans instead:

"And I don't buy that it's the CSA's fault for not marketing it correctly. If you are a fan of the game in Canada you should be out supporting your country when they play"

we have tried this - it's not successful.

So basically you're reading an implication in his words and extrapolating an assumed conclusion. I don't see anything that implies in his words that they will no longer need to market because it is the fans fault. He's being defensive, that's all.

So basically you're reading an implication in his words and extrapolating an assumed conclusion. I don't see anything that implies in his words that they will no longer need to market because it is the fans fault. He's being defensive, that's all.

I Agree with you. But I think what hodgkiss' thing is, and mine too, is the CSA should be falling over themselves taking responsibility. If one thinks we shouldn't need marketing because said product is so great, then it should be painfully easy to market. It sells its self, just needs a nudge.

I think an attitude of setting the bar very high and striving every day to clear it is the only thing that people on this board expect.

I Agree with you. But I think what hodgkiss' thing is, and mine too, is the CSA should be falling over themselves taking responsibility. If one thinks we shouldn't need marketing because said product is so great, then it should be painfully easy to market. It sells its self, just needs a nudge.

I think an attitude of setting the bar very high and striving every day to clear it is the only thing that people on this board expect.

I don't disagree with you, the CSA should be taking constructive feedback and working with Umbro to tweak the campaign for next year (something with WORLD CUP in it). That said, there's nothing in Vic Montagliani's quote that directly supports the discontinuation of marketing by the CSA. All i hear is a man frustrated with his organization being blamed for everything that is wrong with the sport in this country.

Yes, as some have already pointed out with the Marketing argument. Robert has a clear problem comprehending or understanding phrases or sentences and/or twists them or spins them to suit an ulterior motive or obsession.

here is one more example, that i mentioned before, making an argument based on a totally incorrect fact:

A couple weeks ago, in one of his "idiots manifestos", he proclaimed something to the effect that the qualifiers are not spread out across the country and that the CSA "Canada is playing all their qualifiers in Toronto" and that that hurts our chances of winning.

WELL GUESS WHAT FOLKS? if venues were to be selected on the basis of where we have the best chance of winning (based on past history), we would never go to play in Vancouver!!!! we have a massive losing streak in Vancouver that goes back 12 years or more. Dont Believe me? look it up. and Conversely, if you compare all the Canadian cities where we have played our home games, Toronto has be far the best record ( aside from Winnipeg whereby we have only played 2 games). so using his idiots logic, he is justifying the CSA decision to play all the games in Toronto. We rarely lose in toronto. Again, if you dont believe me, look it up.

I never bother responding to his posts precisely because they are littered with this kind of stuff.

Can we make that official, some organizations issue releases, some communiques, but our Robbi issues idiot manifestos. I like it!
Oh, I love it. I work in book publishing and it would be fantastic to publish something called "The Idiot Manifestos: Shi.t Robert Says." One big problem: Nobody gives a carp what Robert says. Also: It isn't truly funny, just annoying. Third: I would not force my editors to have to work with him.

Another great idea down the toilet.

All i hear is a man frustrated with his organization being blamed for everything that is wrong with the sport in this country.

There is a lot to fault the CSA. I hate defending the CSA. But i can undstand that kind of sentiment. There is just so much ignorance out there its unbelieveable.

- People just dont get what an organization like the CSA is.

- What they are capable of and what they are not capable of and what resouces that they can and cant have given what they are.

- What falls into their sphere of control and whats out of their sphere of control.

Its incredibile what you hear out there in "readers comments" sections of the world. It really shows a massive illiteracy in the areas in understanding in things like what types organization are out there. What they are? What they can do? Advantages and disadvantages of each. Why for example, the CSA is different from an organization like MLSEL?

Some of that kind of stuff comes accrosss in his posts

I just had a thought about newbs who have come here and think why are all these guys attacking that poor guy, his posts don't seem that bad. To them I would say let the search function be your friend especially pre "book" launch. The new "attitude" seems to have conveniently coincided with the "book"

There is a lot to fault the CSA. I hate defending the CSA. But i can undstand that kind of sentiment. There is just so much ignorance out there its unbelieveable.

- People just dont get what an organization like the CSA is.

- What they are capable of and what they are not capable of and what there resouces that they can and cant have given what they are.

- What falls into their sphere of control and whats out of their sphere of control.

Totally agree. Why are Vic and Mont Pete responsible for scheduling friendlies, especially if Stephen Hart doesn't ask them for one (or think his team needs them). Clueless people like Robbi issue idiot manifestos with no idea of who is responsible for what, budgetary obligations and decisions and the like.

I just had a thought about newbs who have come here and think why are all these guys attacking that poor guy, his posts don't seem that bad. To them I would say let the search function be your friend especially pre "book" launch. The new "attitude" seems to have conveniently coincided with the "book"

Why "book" in quotation marks? I've seen it. It's definitely a book.

Why "book" in quotation marks? I've seen it. It's definitely a book.
Not an idiot manifesto on his interpretation of west coast soccer history? I've seen it, I haven't read it. I'm waiting for my free bribery copy.

Seriously though, how can someone write a "scholarly" work one minute and be a ranting lunatic the next. Beyond my comprehension.

Not an idiot manifesto on his interpretation of west coast soccer history? I've seen it, I haven't read it. I'm waiting for my free bribery copy.

Seriously though, how can someone write a "scholarly" work one minute and be a ranting lunatic the next. Beyond my comprehension.

I've seen a lot of lunatic academics. I went to the University of Victoria.

(I, also, haven't read the book as I couldn't get a free review copy [that's seriously the reason]. Can't speak for its quality though I know people who liked it. But I think the quotation marks are a bit of a superfluous shot.)

Ok I'm dying to know, did any of them print it? What were some of the responses you got?

I don't know. I haven't received any replies, but that's not what really matters. To me the exercise will have been worthwhile if just one who received the Email read it and took note. This will have had the effect of planting a seed that may germinate sometime in the future. Maybe even as soon as September 7th.

I don't know. I haven't received any replies, but that's not what really matters. To me the exercise will have been worthwhile if just one who received the Email read it and took note. This will have had the effect of planting a seed that may germinate sometime in the future. Maybe even as soon as September 7th.

It won't.

It won't.

Hpoefully you're right, but in case you're not and we do wind up going "Oh for nine" that person will be equiped with enough research that has already been done for her/him and will only have to focus on writing an article that will hit the nail on the head (and hopefully into the coffin of those responsible).

Hpoefully you're right, but in case you're not and we do wind up going "Oh for nine" that person will be equiped with enough research that has already been done for her/him and will only have to focus on writing an article that will hit the nail on the head (and hopefully into the coffin of those responsible).

I don't think a professional journalist would use your source material.

Oh, no, I don't mean that your "journalism" won't achieve the desired results when I say "it won't", I mean that nobody's going to read it.

Archived