Gold Cup 2013 - USA Again

Sam

I really hope we can make a trip to one/all of these games whether we play the States or not. Can they at least leave a group in a reasonable area and not have them travel coast to coast?

Exactly. The last GC for me was in 2005: two games in Seattle, but the last one was in Boston. Quite difficult to go to all matches, even at the group stage.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can host the U20 World Cup, the Women's World Cup, but not the Gold Cup? I'm missing something.

U20 World Cup - FIFA

Women's World Cup - FIFA

Gold Cup - CONCACAF decides of the tournament site..........

On another hand I DO Believe that Canada/USA/Mexico and maybe another 2-3 CONCACAF countries have the potential to host the GoldCup. Problem is there is No Rotation in regards to the tournaments hosting countires. If for example USA has 2013 then either Mexico or Canada should step in 2015. Then again 2017 another country Unless of course NO ONE wants to host it. But just Can/Mex/US that means a rotation of once every 6yrs. something our soccer associations can afford as a cost.

Now can someone with more inside knowledge of CSA/CONCACAF/FIFA Rules and Regulations tell me is there something that prevents Canada from having an invitational tournament being held in the country(aside from money and time frames to have the squads actually showup)? 2groups of 3 or something like that?

U20 World Cup - FIFA

Women's World Cup - FIFA

Gold Cup - CONCACAF decides of the tournament site..........

On another hand I DO Believe that Canada/USA/Mexico and maybe another 2-3 CONCACAF countries have the potential to host the GoldCup. Problem is there is No Rotation in regards to the tournaments hosting countires. If for example USA has 2013 then either Mexico or Canada should step in 2015. Then again 2017 another country Unless of course NO ONE wants to host it. But just Can/Mex/US that means a rotation of once every 6yrs. something our soccer associations can afford as a cost.

Now can someone with more inside knowledge of CSA/CONCACAF/FIFA Rules and Regulations tell me is there something that prevents Canada from having an invitational tournament being held in the country(aside from money and time frames to have the squads actually showup)? 2groups of 3 or something like that?

We did have what I remember was called the "Canada Cup" in Edmonton back in the late 90s. I know Iran was there, Ecuador (I think) and one other team??? Costa Rica?

We did have what I remember was called the "Canada Cup" in Edmonton back in the late 90s. I know Iran was there, Ecuador (I think) and one other team??? Costa Rica?

The one in '95 had Chile and N. Ireland, and the one in '99 we invited Iran and Guatemala.

Menezes got red carded against Guatemala and we went on to win 2-0 anyways. It was only a few months after the encounters at Varsity (when we beat them 1-0) and the PanAm games (also 1-0? and the Guates were down to 8 men) where in both instances some of the Guates spit in some of our players faces.

edit: Ecuador was indeed also there. Weird, i have absolutely no recollection of playing them.

There was talk of bringing back the Caribana Cup that was played once in Toronto during the festival against some Caribbean teams. The downside of this is that with the extra-interest generated by the festival you'd have lots and lots of away supporters, but the upside if you just did two or three double header dates you'd have a very good chance of selling out all the games so there is almost no risk from a CSA perspective.

The one in '95 had Chile and N. Ireland, and the one in '99 we invited Iran and Guatemala.

Menezes got red carded against Guatemala and we went on to win 2-0 anyways. It was only a few months after the encounters at Varsity (when we beat them 1-0) and the PanAm games (also 1-0? and the Guates were down to 8 men) where in both instances some of the Guates spit in some of our players faces.

edit: Ecuador was indeed also there. Weird, i have absolutely no recollection of playing them.

I remember Iran cause I was sitting near a guy who was waving a framed picture of the Shah. True story. I think Stalteri scored against Guatemala, back when he was the whipping boy of this forum. Well, him and Geoff Aunger. I also went to the 95 game vs N. Ireland. I remember pointing out Keith Gillespie, who was with Man U at the time I think, to my dad and saying to watch out for him. He had a shocker and was subbed and a month or two later I read in a UK footy mag that he and another guy were disciplined for going out on the piss the night before the game. I remember the quip in the article, "Sounds like Gillespie took a billboard that said "Drink Canada Dry" literally. Pretty clever.

There was talk of bringing back the Caribana Cup that was played once in Toronto during the festival against some Caribbean teams. The downside of this is that with the extra-interest generated by the festival you'd have lots and lots of away supporters, but the upside if you just did two or three double header dates you'd have a very good chance of selling out all the games so there is almost no risk from a CSA perspective.

Bringing back the Caribbana would be a great idea, yes there would be away support, but they're friendlies and they're supposed to be about making $$$. My first Canadian NT game in person was at the '95 Caribbana Cup against Jamaica which we won 3-1. T&T was also invited to that tournament.

How about a Balkan Cup? We could invite Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia for a 4 team tournament and host 3 doubleheaders at BMO - probably sell out every single match day!

.......security might cost more than whatever money we make.......just saying......

keep the tournament within CONCACAF maybe CONMEBOL too. that way we would have same style of play...

.......security might cost more than whatever money we make.......just saying......

keep the tournament within CONCACAF maybe CONMEBOL too. that way we would have same style of play...

Yeah that's the other thing, we really do need more games against CONCACAF/Caribbean opponents.

North America and pretty much all of Central America, and say Jamaica and T&T would be great opponents anytime for us(won't even mention CONMEBOL as that's obvious). Doesn't matter if they send their U23 squad of B-team for an invitational tournament(maybe Amway could sponsor the tournament.....). We could field all North American players or throw in a few potential candidates to the Senior squads along with our regulars.

I doubt that Mexico or the US would bring in their first squad. But other opponents might. Play it out in Toronto and Montreal in 2groups of 3/4teams(wow that would be a dream) and have it televised on Sportsnet or TSN.

WHY was the Canada Cup discontinued? Can't find any real info online anyone has links?

I rmbr many years back the Whitecaps used to organise a tournamnet too at Swangard. I attended some of the games Sunderland(http://www.worldfootballpages.com/articles-pdf/bc/0507.56.03.pdf), India and China U23 squad(Whitecaps weren't happy as China sent their U20 or something like that squad....well it was "under" 23yrs old.....)

Even now the MLS Clubs(heck even NASL Edmonton could help) could do some "promotion" each one of them organise some tournament like the IPSS

Whitecaps

Team Canada(rests to be defined)

and some other Country and Club(preferably same to cut down costs) like South Korea and K-League Champ or Japan/J-league

Toronto/Montreal/Edmonton same deal

or have an MLS PreSeason Canadian Tournament on a rotation basis

Van/Tor/Mtl/Team Canada.......althou that might be hard since it might take "away" from the V-Cup. Or it could add to the excitement.

Have a round robin tournament it would good for a PreSeason warmup for the MLS/NASL clubs they could "throw" it in as a bone for potential Seasons Tickets Holders. And Team Canada could have 3games in 1venue guaranteed with a potential of say 12games!!!(even more when Ottawa joins the ranks)....

— The British Columbia Soccer Association (BCSA) is pleased to bring world class soccer matches to the shores of British Columbia this summer. Teams representing England, Scotland, and Canada will battle off against each other, as well as against All Star teams from the Pacific Coast Soccer League and the Vancouver Men’s Soccer League. Games will be held in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island from July 9th to 18th in the 2004 International Pacific Soccer Series.

Canada’s National Men’s Team will represent the host country in this International Series. Now under the leadership of Frank Yallop, the team is currently in preparation for their world cup qualification matches. The National Team has a Head Coach with a pedigree of success in Yallop — as Head Coach of the San Jose Earthquakes, he led the team to consecutive MLS titles. Also representing Canada will be the Vancouver Men’s Soccer League All Stars and the Pacific Coast Soccer League All Stars, who will each play single exhibition games against Hearts and Millwall.

International Pacific Soccer Series – Game Schedule

Canada vs. Heart of Midlothian FC

Monday, July 12, 2004

Kick Off: 7:30pm

Canada B: Sutton; Pizzolito, Hughes, Menezes, Gervais, Serioux, Lemire, Mert, Occean, Biello, Simpson.

Subs: Dunfield, Valente, Reda, Peters, De Serpa, Zagar.

Hearts: Molianen; Neilson, Pressley, Webster, McAllister; Stamp, Simmons, Hartley, Hamill; De Vries, Wyness. Subs: Pereira, MacFarlane, Weir, Janczyk, Driver, McKenna

Millwall FC vs. Canada

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Kick Off: 7:30 pm

Heart of Midlothian FC vs. Millwall FC

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Kick Off: 2:30 pm (may be at 12pm if televised live in the UK)

Millwall FC vs. Vancouver Men’s Soccer League All Stars

Sunday July 11, 2004

Kick Off: 4pm

Heart of Midlothian FC vs. PacificCoast Soccer League All Stars

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Kick Off: 7:30pm

• 2 weeks later...

Is there now a glimmer of a hope for a Gold Cup in Canada?

Webb keen to usher in new era for CONCACAF

By Simon Evans

MIAMI | Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:27pm EDT

(Reuters) - CONCACAF could move its lucrative Gold Cup tournament outside its traditional home in the United States and also introduce a women's tournament as president Jeffrey Webb looks to refocus the scandal-hit body.

... continued here.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Bumping a dead thread here but I I got thinking about the prospects of a 'B' Gold Cup (maybe 2017) being spread around. Canada could obviously do a group or the whole tournament, I remember back in 2007 when there was a rumour (mostly here) about BMO Field hosting Canada's group in 2009. That seems to be the most realistic possibility, but I also considered some fantasy scenarios in Central America/Caribbean:

http://majorliguesoccer.com/2013/07/28/a-gold-cup-in-canada/

IMO, Canada/Mexico/USA should host a group. It may not be as lucrative, but the exposure in the long run I think is better. I truly don't think that outside of Americans and Supporter Groups of the other national teams, anyone even knows what the **** this tournament is.

The games need to be played elsewhere if you really want the gen pop of CONCACAF nations to care.

IMO, Canada/Mexico/USA should host a group. It may not be as lucrative, but the exposure in the long run I think is better. I truly don't think that outside of Americans and Supporter Groups of the other national teams, anyone even knows what the **** this tournament is.

The games need to be played elsewhere if you really want the gen pop of CONCACAF nations to care.

Apparently this tournament actually gets huge TV ratings in Mexico...

+1, but I think it could be lucrative. Mexico, US, and Canada all playing at home in the first round should all be sellouts. All Knockout rounds in the US makes sense.

Archived