We Need A Friendly

Colombia would be the perfect opponent to prep. for Panama.

Agreed, I don't know if they have much to gain playing us however. Maybe they will be stuck and we will travel down there to play. Or would it be better to host them in Toronto? Hmmmm

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just posted on the Canadian Soccer News from our friend Ben Rycroft, "Canada will play an August friendly"! Good news all round!

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?3441-Canada-will-play-friendly-in-August

Could someone be kind enough to post the article in its entirety here? For some reason every once in a while when Ben posts it won't allow me to view the article.

Could someone be kind enough to post the article in its entirety here? For some reason every once in a while when Ben posts it won't allow me to view the article.

Here's the CSN article:

Canada will play friendly in August

by

Ben Rycroft

View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Articles Published on 07-06-2012 12:53 PM 19 Comments Earlier today, as I reported on CBC, the CSA has already had conversations with FIFA about hosting the next available World Cup. It's still a long ways off but the fact they are already in the planning stages is an indication of the commitment new CSA president Victor Montagliani has to the Canadian national teams.

And on that note, he put to rest recent fears about preparation in this qualification campaign.

Montagliani confirmed to CSN that the men's national team will play a friendly in August as part of its lead up to the upcoming World Cup qualifier matches. As late as last month it was being suggested that the CSA would not have the funds to be able to send the women's team to the Olympics and arrange a friendly for the men. Something that set off alarm bells around Canadian soccer, when it became apparent that all of Canada's opponents would be playing at least one match. Montagliani says that isn't the case.

"I can't tell you who the teams are right now that we are speaking to because we are looking at four different countries. But I can confirm that the game will take place in this hemisphere," Montagliani said.

Given that the international friendly dates are August 14 and 15 - only three days before the start of the English Premier League and around the same time as most of the European campaigns - it's a safe bet to assume that with the fixture location being on this continent that most of the squad will be called from this region as well.

An official announcement is expected in the next three weeks.

Try logging out (of CSN) and then clicking on the article. That's what I do when I want to read Rycroft, Rollins or Germain.

Agreed, I don't know if they have much to gain playing us however. Maybe they will be stuck and we will travel down there to play. Or would it be better to host them in Toronto? Hmmmm

Oh no you didn't just say that....

Try logging out (of CSN) and then clicking on the article. That's what I do when I want to read Rycroft, Rollins or Germain.

Oh no you didn't just say that....

lol I just assumed the team would want to prep in the same stadium they will host the qualifier in.

This is great news, would have been a terrible start for our new admin... Question for you guys, is it cheaper to play at home or on the road? I would assume home because of less travel, but read on here and other sites that you have to pay the opponent for showing up. I've been watching the game for years, but know very little about the business/political side of things.

the possible candidates for a friendly " in this hemisphere "are : Colombia and Bolivia . Other teams available Guyana, Haiti, Nicaragua , Antigua -Barbuda and other Caribbean minnows.

Canada - Venezuela in Toronto would be an amaizing match, but we play against Japan .

What rival would be the best ?

Colombia definitely , they play similar to Panama. On the other side; the Bolivians are very fast......

lol I just assumed the team would want to prep in the same stadium they will host the qualifier in.

Doesn't matter what the logic is, a lot of people are going to be pissed if it's Toronto again :P

Btw, BMO and BC Place are booked that day. Saputo is open though.

Don't see why they couldn't play away for this one, get ready for the conditions they'll face when playing in Panama. The home leg is important, but we really can't discount the importance of getting a result away to Panama would be.

Doesn't matter what the logic is, a lot of people are going to be pissed if it's Toronto again :P

Btw, BMO and BC Place are booked that day. Saputo is open though.

I agree if the friendly is played on Canadian soil Saputo would make the most sense, as it would showcase the newly renovated stadium while letting another city host a game which would be a good thing for the CSA.

Guatemala is now a possible opponent as well: Panama decided that to prepare for us they rather play a friendly against Portugal on Aug 15th! I can imagine us playing against Guatemala in LA, NYC or the south Florida area. NYC would be easy for some European based players to get to quickly and cheaply + there are like 50 000+ Guatemalans in the NYC area. In southern florida we have our usual trainings grounds + lots of Guatemalans there as well.

Don't see why they couldn't play away for this one, get ready for the conditions they'll face when playing in Panama. The home leg is important, but we really can't discount the importance of getting a result away to Panama would be.

This could be a good idea, except that i wonder whether it's wise to expose our NT players to those type of real physical risks to life and limb more often than is absolutely necessary. I'm not too worried about spectator violence, as I believe that Central American security is capable of dealing with this (at least insofar as protecting visiting NT players, since they really don't want to get sanctioned by FIFA). What worries me more are the "hidden" risks, ie heatstroke or cramp leading to pulled quadricep, risk of contracting a serious sexually transmitted disease (hey, it happens!), or even being exposed to malaria or other tropical diseases bu being forced to play in stadiums built near mosquito infested marshland.

Better to play in a relatively controlled environment, but prepare our players by some serious discussion of what to expect in Central America beforehand.

I know it would be somewhat silly to play a team in your own group, but seeing as Honduras dosen't have a match yet for Aug. Why not?

Lets see it's our centenary, and our greatest achievement was making the World cup, we qualified by beating Honduras, in St. Johns.

Umm it kinda sells itself really.

Close enough for the Euro squad members and MLSers. Also taking the MNT back outside TO (you know to the other more dangerous wilderness parts of Canada)

Does T&T have a friendly on that date? I think they'd be adequate. As long as we play someone I don't care if it's a glorified training session behind closed doors, but I do think we need a game to get some cohesion and shake off some rust before two vital matches.

cheers,

matthew

I'd personally rather not play a friendly against Honduras as we've got them in qualifying and I can't see any benefit in doing so. We aren't going to want to give anything away to them tactically and neither would they. In fact, given the choice of a friendly v Honduras or no friendly at all, I'd go for the latter.

Is Columbia still available?

Colombia is still available. If Colombia were the opponent, I would not be surprised if the game is played in the US. The majority of the Colombian squad is based in Europe, and flying to either New York or Miami makes the most sense for the Colombian Team.

Colombia has been pretty much in the same boatas Canada, saying they will have a friendly in August, but no news/announcements as to against who or where.

Colombia is still available. If Colombia were the opponent, I would not be surprised if the game is played in the US. The majority of the Colombian squad is based in Europe, and flying to either New York or Miami makes the most sense for the Colombian Team.

Colombia has been pretty much in the same boatas Canada, saying they will have a friendly in August, but no news/announcements as to against who or where.

Then it is probably Columbia. I doubt they would be irresponsible enough to leave things to the last minute unless we were involved ;)

Perhaps it will be a neutral venue and that is why things are taking so long. I wouldn't mind playing them in Miami. Gives our boys a chance to play Caribbean weather. Do not want it to be NYC, it might as well be Toronto or Montreal if that is the case.

Then it is probably Columbia. I doubt they would be irresponsible enough to leave things to the last minute unless we were involved ;)

Perhaps it will be a neutral venue and that is why things are taking so long. I wouldn't mind playing them in Miami. Gives our boys a chance to play Caribbean weather. Do not want it to be NYC, it might as well be Toronto or Montreal if that is the case.

I assume at this point it's a neutral venue as the date is a month away. There's now way they could/would organize a home date with only a month to sell tickets right?

I'm actually getting nervous that this won't happen at all. I can't remember, is this standard to leave match details so late for neutral site games?

Based on Kurtis Larson's tweet a few days ago, I'm pretty sure this will happen and the final details are being sorted out. I'm also fairly sure it will be a closed door game either in the US (Ft. Lauderdale camp we usually use) or the Nottawasaga Inn we use in Alliston.

Archived