We Need A Friendly

I disagree. In any sport it is better to go into a serious upcoming match on a winning note. This will keep their confidence up and belief that the team has a chance of being successful when playing the important Cup match. God forbid we take an International friendly lightly before a key match at this time of the competition. Selecting the right opposition is crucial and my thoughts would be a team at the same level of play. Someone like “Belarus”. It must be a tough match so as to rekindle the team’s mind set.

I am inclined to agree with most of this. I love the idea of the team getting together for friendlies but it has to make sense (especially at this stage). We can't have a friendly just for the sake of getting the group together, they all know each other at this point. Team psychology is more important than familiarity for this team right now.

Another short camp in Europe with no prep time against a mid level European team reminds me too much of the Armenia situation, and i'm sure we all agree that was not a beneficial endeavor.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we are fortunate enough to get a home friendly in Aug, you would have to think playing a team from the americas is a must. I would avoid any south american teams who are in form (Peru, Venezuela, etc) and clearly the elite south american teams like Argentina or Chile for example. If I had to pick a south american team it would be Bolivia, but the best pick overall would be Guatemala. They could use a game against Canada to prep for the USA, they are good enough to push us, yet they are a team we can beat and gain confidence from. Many of our players were also part of the team that beat them 3-0 in GC 07 btw.b

And in the case of Johnson, Hainault, and Edgar, the 5-0 thrashing at the U-23 level a few years back.

I am inclined to agree with most of this. I love the idea of the team getting together for friendlies but it has to make sense (especially at this stage). We can't have a friendly just for the sake of getting the group together, they all know each other at this point. Team psychology is more important than familiarity for this team right now.

Another short camp in Europe with no prep time against a mid level European team reminds me too much of the Armenia situation, and i'm sure we all agree that was not a beneficial endeavor.

Surely this argument about team psychology cuts both ways, though - I think the point of the friendly is that although our players know each other, they don't know each other well enough to head straight into the pre-Panama camp and come out on top of their games, given a long layoff between international games (June to September).

Surely this argument about team psychology cuts both ways, though - I think the point of the friendly is that although our players know each other, they don't know each other well enough to head straight into the pre-Panama camp and come out on top of their games, given a long layoff between international games (June to September).

Maybe your right, but maybe not. Hutchinson, De Guzman, De Rosario, McKenna, Hume, Klukowski, etc....these guys have been playing together for years now. Even Jackson, Hainualt and Johnson has been with this group for quite a while.

The most ideal thing would be to have another 10 day camp before this round of games...but that is not going to happen.

Even if we get a friendly in August, the players will go back to their clubs before the Panama matches..so we don't get the continuity of a caamp

• 2 weeks later...

The fact we aren't even getting a Euro-based friendly is a joke. This is the best start we've had to WCQ since the 1998 campaign, and I think a big part of that has been due to the amount of prep we've got under Hart let's not start going in the wrong direction.

The fact we aren't even getting a Euro-based friendly is a joke. This is the best start we've had to WCQ since the 1998 campaign, and I think a big part of that has been due to the amount of prep we've got under Hart let's not start going in the wrong direction.

Due to the amount of prep we've had under Hart? You mean having to play those minnows in WCQ? Because friendlies have been at a premium since well before he arrived.

Wow just noticed that not only does Canada not have a friendly lined up yet for Aug. but all of Guatemala, Jamaica and El Salvador are playing twice (in a one game fifa window) amazing.

So far: July 28 Jamaica vs Liberia (ok not really close to the fifa window but still a friendly).

11 Aug. El Salvador vs Guatemala

15 Aug. Panama vs Guatemala / Jamaica vs El Salvador / USA vs Mexico / Costa Rica vs Peru

^ And that is what it takes to be successful. A lack of camp or friendly for the August window would be a show of absolute incompetence by the CSA. If any of you suits are reading this thread, get on it and at least get a camp organized FFS!!!!

Should the V's create an open letter to the CSA to address the lack of preparation for the remaining World Cup Qualifiers? I mean, this is a serious issue, it could be the difference between getting out of the group or not. At the very least a camp has to be organized to get the players training together for a few days and working on tactics and poring over Panamanian game film.

Should the V's create an open letter to the CSA to address the lack of preparation for the remaining World Cup Qualifiers? I mean, this is a serious issue, it could be the difference between getting out of the group or not. At the very least a camp has to be organized to get the players training together for a few days and working on tactics and poring over Panamanian game film.

Absolutely. We need to publicly show our displeasure and demand a response. Put the pressure on them.

I would be too lazy/too busy to create a letter but if another V makes one I would sign it I guess. Good idea to show our displeasure.

I would be too lazy/too busy to create a letter but if another V makes one I would sign it I guess. Good idea to show our displeasure.

Yes, i'm in the same boat. I am willing to come up with the idea of a letter if someone who is a better writer is able to articulate why the CSA is so inept in this situation *cough*Grizzly*cough*

"As late as last month it was being suggested that the CSA would not have the funds to be able to send the women's team to the Olympics and arrange a friendly for the men. [...] Montagliani says that isn't the case."

It isn't the case that they weren't planning a friendly, or that they almost couldn't due to lack of funds?

I can't tell you who the teams are right now that we are speaking to because we are looking at four different countries. But I can confirm that the game will take place in this hemisphere,"

So...speculation time! If he means western hemisphere and we DON'T play in Canada who are the possible opponents?

Assuming CONCACAF or CONMEBOL

The list of uncommitted "quality" opponents are:

Bolivia

Colombia

Trinidad & Tobago

Guyana

Haïti

Antigua & Barbuda

So...speculation time! If he means western hemisphere and we DON'T play in Canada who are the possible opponents?

Assuming CONCACAF or CONMEBOL

The list of uncommitted "quality" opponents are:

Bolivia

Columbia

Trinidad

Guyana

Haïti

Antigua and Barbuda

Colombia would be the perfect opponent to prep. for Panama.

Archived