Canadian U15 team playing in tournament in Mexico (June 18-24)

Toje

Yes, Mexico is pumping serious cash into development. To me they are way, way ahead of the rest of the pack in CONCACAF. They are big players in world youth soccer and I think they'll finally get over the hump and into the quarter finals in Brazil 2014.

I think their sights are set on winning the bloody thing and they are becoming a "darkhorse" that could actually do it.

I think they'll finally get over the hump and into the quarter finals in Brazil 2014.

But they have made it to the Quarter finals at the WC. If not, the round of sixteen. You can look back at world cups over the past 25-30 years and you wont find a single time when they have failed to advance out of their group.

I would state instead that they are making a run at winning it all.

I think their sights are set on winning the bloody thing and they are becoming a "darkhorse" that could actually do it.

I agree. Judging from what I have seen of them at the Gold final, I was more impressed with their play in that game than half the teams (or more) that I have seen in current Euros

Results from today's games :

Mexico Third Division All Star Team 1 Canada 0

Mexico 5 - Chile 2

Maybe some of our kids will get picked up by Mexican 3rd Division teams!? In all seriousness, if anyone has ever seen footage of the Mexican 3rd division (i've seen about 5 minutes of extended highlights on GolTV) it is pretty low in standard, like CSL level even. There is a surprisingly massive drop off in play at each level in the Mexican pyramid.

I agree. Judging from what I have seen of them at the Gold final, I was more impressed with their play in that game than half the teams (or more) that I have seen in current Euros.

You also have to be impressed by the little behind scenes thing. Take for example, what we saw at the Concacaf Champions leagues. You look at a side like Santo Laguna and their new 30K stadium. From what we saw on TV, it looks a facility that would be the envy of many clubs around the world. That tells me that the game is still in a growth phase, that there is money being invested in the game in Mexico and the clubs must be well supported such that the investment is justified. Outside of teh UK, whose building new facilities in Europe? and, all this is happening in what is not even (economically) a first world country. You also have to be impressed at how the stringent domestic quotas are not adverselty impacting their club's performance.

Does anyone know the make up of the 3rd division Mexican team? I'm guessing they weren't playing men, maybe a U20 or U23 side?

Keegan they were a 3rd division team that replaced the other team that did not show up....there could have been some u16 on that team but primary u15 from what I was told...

I agree. Judging from what I have seen of them at the Gold final, I was more impressed with their play in that game than half the teams (or more) that I have seen in current Euros.

You also have to be impressed by the little behind scenes thing. Take for example, what we saw at the Concacaf Champions leagues. You look at a side like Santo Laguna and their new 30K stadium. From what we saw on TV, it looks a facility that would be the envy of many clubs around the world. That tells me that the game is still in a growth phase, that there is money being invested in the game in Mexico and the clubs must be well supported such that the investment is justified. Outside of teh UK, whose building new facilities in Europe? and, all this is happening in what is not even (economically) a first world country. You also have to be impressed at how the stringent domestic quotas are not adverselty impacting their club's performance.

Yeah Mexico is well on their way to becoming a world class side and doing it all at the right time, I don't buy for a second that a side like Sweden or Ireland (higher on FIFA ranks) are their superior, no way. They have a great group of young stars and fantastic players coming up the youth ranks. Very scary for our region. In the end, it gives our region more respect to have an elite nation for a change, so I'm okay with it. Sets the bar higher for the rest of us to keep pace and do more.

We aren't doing too bad ourselves though. We got 12 kids from pro residencies on this U15 side, a U17 WC qualification recently and a great run at the Olympic berths which aren't easy to get. At the very least, we're progressing from the youth levels on up. No progress is bad progress and the experience these kids are going to get will be great regardless of results.

I have an inclining to think that Mexican soccer is benefiting from massive amounts of money being made through Narco Trafficking. I've read a few things alluding to that, and the Mexican league is spending a lot more money on foreign players lately, now I'm not saying its all down to that but Colombia underwent a similar renascence in the late 80's early 90's with money laundering and investment by Cartel leaders and in Mexico the Cartels have a huge influence with money to burn.

But they have made it to the Quarter finals at the WC. If not, the round of sixteen. You can look back at world cups over the past 25-30 years and you wont find a single time when they have failed to advance out of their group.

I would state instead that they are making a run at winning it all.

Yes, they are a perennial final 16 team but haven't made the quarters since 86. That's two generations of players ago. I think that generally the big gap in world soccer between the powers capable of winning a World Cup and the rest; is between the last 16 and the last 8. Since the 32 team WC format, IIRC, they've finished 2nd in their group and gone out against traditional power, i.e. Argentina in the last two tournaments. The exception being when they bowed out to the US in 2002. My point is that, without knowing the seedings, I would still wager on them winning their group in 2014 and subsequently going further from there.

For me, they're moving miles ahead of the U.S., where 10 years ago I think the States had nudged ahead of them. I actually think the US is an underachiever at this point in world soccer. They've put the resources and structure into the game but in my experience, their quality of coaching at youth level isn't much different than ours. And that's where Mexico have the greatest advantage. The US should have left the rest of CONCACAF (save Mexico) in the dust by now but they haven't. Though the recent Olympic qualifying tournament was just a small snapshot in time, the Americans really lacked tactical nuance and balance in their side. They were all athletes in the back and all individual technicians up front.

Other results from today ;

Spain 4 Costa Rica 0

USA 0 Colombia 0

Semifinals : Mexico vs Colombia & Spain vs Mexico's Third Division All Star Team

The team Chile sent is a U14 Team ( 98's ) This team is the base team for the U17 World Cup which Chile is hosting in 2015

The Semifinal pairs have been revised as follows :

Mexico vs Third Division All Star Team

Spain vs Colombia

It was agreed by all participants prior to the start of the tournament that both Mexican Teams would play each other if they reached the Semifinal stage to ensure that a foreign team made the final.

A follow up in Mexico today, the boys had a exibition match against Costa Rica. The result was favourable 3-0 our U15 boys. Congrats on the first of many victories to come. I know I am confident that it will get better and we will be ready for the U17 tournament...

A follow up in Mexico today, the boys had a exibition match against Costa Rica. The result was favourable 3-0 our U15 boys.

Well done. Looks like our youth teams have been getting some results against the Tico youth teams the past couple of years.

Archived