2012 FIFA Futsal World Cup Qualifiers

Redcoatsforever

Just saw this on FIFA.com:

Eight teams will participate in the CONCACAF Futsal Championship between 2-8 July at the Domo Polideportivo in Guatemala City, Guatemala. Seven teams have already qualified: Costa Rica, Guatemala, Cuba, Mexico, Panama, USA and St. Kitts & Nevis.

The last berth for the CONCACAF finals will be decided by a two-legged play-off between Canada and El Salvador on 28 and 29 June.

Group A: Guatemala, USA, Panama and Canada/El Salvador

Group B: Cuba, Mexico, Costa Rica and St. Kitts and Nevis

The top four finishers at the CONCACAF Futsal Championship will go on to compete at the FIFA Futsal World Cup Thailand 2012.

Bolded the bit relevant to us. Anyone in the know about Futsal, what are our chances v. SLV?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm assuming we won't get anything for the qualifier since it isn't actually part of the CONCACAF tournament. The two-legged affair against El Salvador is a qualifier for the CONCACAF Futsal Championships, which itself is a qualifier for the Futsal World Cup.

From the CONCACAF twitter feed - "Canada GK Lemus scored with 5 seconds remaining; CAN wins 6:2 final score"

- Rios scored for Canada with 16 seconds left.

Canada advances to the next round 7-6 on aggregate. I would have loved to see this game.

Canada will now play in a group with Panama, USA and Guatemala (the hosts). The other group is much weaker, but the top four teams will advance to the 2012 Futsal World Cup.

Really? No one else is interested in this fantastic last second victory????

Hell yeah! I have really been looking forward to seeing Canada's futsal team play. This will be great, hope we make Thailand!

Don't know if anyone else watched Canada and USA last night but we didn't look good against the Americans even though it was a close game on the scoreboard.

• 2 months later...

Insid SOCCER Magazine has a 2 page feature on the team and competition in their new issue.

I'll be flying out for the tournament at the end of October and it should be great. Always wanted to visit Bangkok. If anybody happens to be out there during the time (Nov 1-19th) let me know.

In regards to the tournament, the boys gave their all but many of them were simply too fresh too futsal and by most accounts that is what ultimately did them in. The game against the US still feels like a lost opportunity as they were a very beatable team but basic defensive mistakes really did Canada in.

It's good that Costa Rica won as it opens it up a little bit as Guatemala was really favoured coming in and it'll open more opportunities between Canada and Costa Rica for some player exchanges and tournaments.

Archived