Honduras Sold Out?

JamesW

Man if some guy's going to drive 26 hours to watch them play I can't even be mad.

Even when Jamaica was here in '08 there were plenty of Jamaicans in the crowd. We'll see if that upper west side is empty, split or full of Hondurans though

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man if some guy's going to drive 26 hours to watch them play I can't even be mad.

Even when Jamaica was here in '08 there were plenty of Jamaicans in the crowd. We'll see if that upper west side is empty, split or full of Hondurans though

Upper west side is closed.

Sell out my ass.

This is 100% caused by sh!t marketing.

Here is a game.

Time how long it takes you to find out the time of the game tomorrow night from the CSA website.

Find where it even says WORLD CUP QUALIFYING

I don't know about that, Jamie. I was in Toronto parts of the last three weeks for work and saw ads in the TTC and billboards downtown for the two games. I think some of it is due to Euro 2012, some of it has to do with the rank and file sports fan not knowing anything about the importance of the game, and the rest of it just apathy. I don't know what else the CSA could have done to get through to the general public.

I don't know about that, Jamie. I was in Toronto parts of the last three weeks for work and saw ads in the TTC and billboards downtown for the two games. I think some of it is due to Euro 2012, some of it has to do with the rank and file sports fan not knowing anything about the importance of the game, and the rest of it just apathy. I don't know what else the CSA could have done to get through to the general public.

The ads weren't very good IMO, I live downtown, I did see the TTC poster a few times and that's it. Sorry but I don't agree with that being good enough.

I think the V's themselves will out do any CSA sales to Canadians, which says plenty. How does a group of a couple hundred, acting on their own free will, out-do a bloody football association?

The ads weren't very good IMO, I live downtown, I did see the TTC poster a few times and that's it. Sorry but I don't agree with that being good enough.

I think the V's themselves will out do any CSA sales to Canadians, which says plenty. How does a group of a couple hundred, acting on their own free will, out-do a bloody football association?

That these matches have to be marketed at all shows us how far we still have to go. Maybe that changes if (when!) we make the Hex.

That these matches have to be marketed at all shows us how far we still have to go. Maybe that changes if (when!) we make the Hex.

I had a brief back and forth with Dobson on twitter about this and I don't know why it's so hard to understand.

For the past 2 decades the CMNT has basically been under a rock to most Canadians. Unheard of, playing in small stadiums here and there, no success, total failure from the Association. That's a great deal of time to be in the weeds, a whole generation of people entirely unknown to our own national program. We did win a Gold Cup, but in reality very few people care about that tournament...slowly starting to change a bit, but it really isn't all that important to the footballing world.

Dobson's trying to argue with me saying, "well there's gonna be 10K Hondurans with the same marketing". Well duh, they don't need to be marketed at all. They don't have much in Honduras, they grow up with this sport and love it to death. In Canada, it's hockey, hockey, hockey, american pro sports and a "soccer is gay and for pussies" attitude that still exists here and there.

This entire generation of people who haven't dug deep on their own to find out about the team, this group, find a love despite all the negativity, needs to be lured in big time. You can't just expect a couple posters and a cheap commercial to make amends for all that. You can't compare to a nation where football is life and say "well they came out so it must be the Canadian people who are at fault"...it's just not so cut and dry. Their love, many nations natural love for fooball, hasn't really ever existed in Canada outside of our group.

No the marketing is a total failure.

What is "See Thee Rise" It means nothing. The front page of the CSA site doesn't even say World Cup.

I have walked in circles for multiple TFC games talking to people. You have say World Cup to them at least Twice and then a light goes off. No one even going to TFC games knows about these games, when they find out... they want to go. Nothing is a more clear indication of failing to connect than that.

The current ads mean nothing.

What is a CMNT Season? The language is all wrong, it makes no sense.

No one in the history of the game in any country anywhere has ever called a round of qualifying a season.

No you have it backwards.

It's the marketing that is failing, and that shows just how far we have COME.

When people know about it, they want to go.

If people knew about it and didn't want to go, that would be an indication of how far we still have to go.

What is "See Thee Rise" It means nothing. The front page of the CSA site doesn't even say World Cup.

I have walked in circles for multiple TFC games talking to people. You have say World Cup to them at least Twice and then a light goes off. No one even going to TFC games knows about these games, when they find out... they want to go. Nothing is a more clear indication of failing to connect than that.

No one in the history of the game in any country anywhere has ever called a round of qualifying a season.

Spot on, it's not hard to get someone interested in this team. I'd say it's easy in fact, the CSA just SUCKS at marketing and I mean they are bad, I've seen Junior B hockey teams marketed better.

I don't think the kind of multi-faceted, in your face marketing campaign required to turn a country ignorant of it's national team into supporters would be within the CSA's budget. And if they did spend to the max the return on investment would probably be negative. Ultimately, the results will have to sell tickets. That starts tomorrow.

The reality is that most promotion for any sporting event is actually done by the sports networks whose simple act of covering the event in the lead-up signals to the public whether something is relevant or not. If it's not covered then it doesn't really exist no matter how many billboard ads you post. This is hurting us more than anything.

The fact is that everyone that follows soccer right now is glued to a television network that is doing their best to bury the team and ignore its very existence partly because of apathy and partly because it's the enemy's sports property (Sportsnet). God love Jason De Vos but I'm sure he had to fight his producer for the chance to give that shout out today. Last Thursday Gareth Wheeler got shushed by Cybulski for mentioning the Canada game the next day. Then on friday Sportscentre refused to even mention the Cuba result. Then today TSN has a reporter on location in Donetsk but doesn't even send anybody down the street to file a report from BMO Field. One of the reasons the games were played in Toronto was to be close to the national media but TSN still gives the team the middle finger.

I don't think the kind of multi-faceted, in your face marketing campaign required to turn a country ignorant of it's national team into supporters would be within the CSA's budget. And if they did spend to the max the return on investment would probably be negative. Ultimately, the results will have to sell tickets. That starts tomorrow.

Oh, they don't have the money to do that, and I am not suggesting they try.

But the ads you do make, have to make sense.

What they need to do is far more complex than run ads, and quite difficult to explain in a post.

They had/have the opportunity to really do something different

Voyageurs will shift to quality over quantity from now on. I am not busting my ass to deal with the public again. I have people I had to have email exchanges with on average 4-12 emails and they buy one ticket. One guy 27.

Supporters only and if we grow beyond 3 sections in the future so be it.

Absolutely no tourists allowed in, even if we have to reduce it to two sections.

If you are not participating 100%, get the fck out. We will even buy extra seats and leave them empty to kick people out to.

Everything is going to change, or I am done doing this.

Every Honduran you see tomorrow, scare the fuvk out of them so they never come back. I'd rather empty seats than an opposing fan

Actually, a rather longer term approach would be better... the whole support local soccer thing is just for that.

I had a couple of Ecuadorians buy tickets from us for WCQ after the exhibition game.

We can't be dicks to people and then ask why they don't come out.

It sounds like the crowd support for Canada will be less than it was for the comparable Jamaican match in Toronto at the beginning of this stage last cycle. Could someone explain what's changed from a support perspective compared to this time 4 years ago?

There is another reason. Season ticket prices for TFC at the time were about half of what they are today. People stepped up a lot for that match versus Jamaica. There were people in the supporters groups who bought up to 100 tickets for that game and gave them to friends just to keep the away from foreign supporters. It got to the point where it became a competitive thing to buy as many tickets as possible. In my case, i bought six and gave five of them away to freinds and family. There was immence anticipation for that game and a lot TFC SSH's bought the WcQ tickets.

What changed? Well for one, season tickets are more expensive (double in fact) and there are more add on games like the CCL. In the non supporters ection the prices of season seats have more than doubled. More expensive Season tickets means that less extra add on games are not being picked up. The WcQ is getting caught up in that fact that the TFC season tickets base is more stretched and not as committed as last time. Its gets to the point where i have to rationalize and decide what games i want to go to what game i cant go to. Its a budget decision. I initially took a pass on on the US game but then ended buying a ticket at the last minute.

The reality is that most promotion for any sporting event is actually done by the sports networks whose simple act of covering the event in the lead-up signals to the public whether something is relevant or not. If it's not covered then it doesn't really exist no matter how many billboard ads you post. This is hurting us more than anything.

The fact is that everyone that follows soccer right now is glued to a television network that is doing their best to bury the team and ignore its very existence partly because of apathy and partly because it's the enemy's sports property (Sportsnet). God love Jason De Vos but I'm sure he had to fight his producer for the chance to give that shout out today. Last Thursday Gareth Wheeler got shushed by Cybulski for mentioning the Canada game the next day. Then on friday Sportscentre refused to even mention the Cuba result. Then today TSN has a reporter on location in Donetsk but doesn't even send anybody down the street to file a report from BMO Field. One of the reasons the games were played in Toronto was to be close to the national media but TSN still gives the team the middle finger.

When the Euro is over. So is my cable.

None of these channels or the distribution of them get my money any more.

I'm sure DeVos takes a bit of heat for it. TSN wants people watching (or paying a silly fee for online access) the Euro all day. They don't want sports fans tuning into their rival station.

Every Honduran you see tomorrow, scare the fuvk out of them so they never come back. I'd rather empty seats than an opposing fan

I really expect trouble at this match, they think they are going to boss the stadium like they did in Montreal and I just can't see that happening! I've heard no end of horror stories from the Montreal WCQ match and I can't say I have respect for a bunch of fans that carried on like that in our country and throw bags of piss at us when we go there! I might be wrong on this but I don't think so, prepare to be in full voice and prepare for some Hondurans causing trouble!

I really expect trouble at this match, they think they are going to boss the stadium like they did in Montreal and I just can't see that happening! I've heard no end of horror stories from the Montreal WCQ match and I can't say I have respect for a bunch of fans that carried on like that in our country and throw bags of piss at us when we go there! I might be wrong on this but I don't think so, prepare to be in full voice and prepare for some Hondurans causing trouble!

You're kidding...bags of piss? What else did they do in Montreal?

Actually, a rather longer term approach would be better... the whole support local soccer thing is just for that.

I had a couple of Ecuadorians buy tickets from us for WCQ after the exhibition game.

We can't be dicks to people and then ask why they don't come out.

I agree, and did the same with all the away support in previous rounds.

I think though that there are more Hondurans coming from the US than live in Toronto. I can't get the most up to date numbers, but 7 years ago there were 9 000 Hondurans in Canada and 55 000 in New York state alone.

I intend to torment any of those people by calling them Yanquis.

Voyageurs will shift to quality over quantity from now on. I am not busting my ass to deal with the public again. I have people I had to have email exchanges with on average 4-12 emails and they buy one ticket. One guy 27.

Supporters only and if we grow beyond 3 sections in the future so be it.

Absolutely no tourists allowed in, even if we have to reduce it to two sections.

If you are not participating 100%, get the fck out. We will even buy extra seats and leave them empty to kick people out to.

Everything is going to change, or I am done doing this.

I'm behind you on that entirely. I can't imagine what it woulda been like to deal with all that stuff.

Interesting point. I didn't notice they called it a season. Should have paid more attention I suppose. Need to look at the poster closer when I arrive tomorrow.

The way I thought of it was that I had never seen advertising in a high traffic area like the subway before. Little steps. But ok, I'll buy that it wasn't well done.

I'm with gator on this. I don't want to see trouble but Montreal four years ago was very unpleasant. If any Honduran supporters wind up in our section in the south end, I think we need to politely ask them to leave for their and our own safety. Some of them are bad winners, let's hope they are better losers.

I'm with gator on this. I don't want to see trouble but Montreal four years ago was very unpleasant. If any Honduran supporters wind up in our section in the south end, I think we need to politely ask them to leave for their and our own safety. Some of them are bad winners, let's hope they are better losers.

While we can point out an issue, this is the job of security to enforce. And I hope dearly that the promised protocol of no away support in the south end is carried out.

Archived