Match thread - TFC vs MI (May 2nd)

Hard to judge tonight. I mean, Geez here's Montreal at home playing an opponent who's offering ZERO counter-attack and they don't show more attacking aggression? Conceding a draw? At home! Bah....

But on the other hand who wouldn't like their chances in a one-off against TFC even if the match is played at BMO Field? Not many I'd wager.

Really surprised Montreal didn't take this one, they put together a pretty dominant performance. I thought that unlike the Portland game last weekend though the movement off the ball wasn't as good. Against Portland there were always two or three options and players making positive forward runs. Tonight the Impact moved the ball well from flank to flank and then back into the middle, but there weren't many players making creative runs in the middle to open up space.

But still a pretty decent performance from Montreal and I think they'll feel decently about being able to win at BMO. As for Toronto they were god awful, absolutely nothing going forward. When they did get the ball they couldn't string three passes together. The back four can be happy that they didn't give Montreal many options, but other than that it was a pretty pathetic performance from TFC.

I was not prepared for just how terrible TFC are. Any team with a functioning strike partnership would have scored 4 goals on them tonight. It was painful to watch the relentless giveaways and unforced errors. Aceval in particular was just brutal. Luckily for them the Impact are tentative in the final third. Still, if Kocic doesn't come up big in the first half it was 2-0.

I ve always liked Morgan. But this is not one of his good games as far as his play on the ball. And especially his decsion making.

The more you watch a guy the more you get to see the limitations that still exist and need improving. Offensively he's a better player when he's afforded the space to run onto a pass with a head of steam underway. But when he's closed down by a marker fairly quickly he hasn't shown the craft and dribbling skills to conjure up something in a 1 v 1 and that's what's getting written on the scouting report. However, I still like his upside.

At the beginning of this season many were predicting bigger things from Stinson in year two of this program but he can't even get on the field, Winter opting to bring on CB Screech Emory to slot into the defensive duties of midfield for his final sub.

This game reminded me of games of 5th and 6th division amateur teams in Germany playing 3rd division pro teams in the German Cup. That was not even counter-attacking soccer, it was 11 men back. With the dominance of Montreal tonight it was like a loss to finish the game 0-0. Maybe Toronto is so poor they have to do this, their skill level tonight looked well below MLS. On the other hand I was extremely disappointed in the coaching of Jesse Marsch. The first two substitutes were ok but each was at least 10 minutes too late and what the **** did Braun do to be on the pitch at all tonight. And Bernier has played well here even if Warner has been very good, there must be a way to bring the two on the pitch at the same time, especially as Bernier and Sebrango inspire the crowd. Felipe is off and on and tonight he was definitely off so why not replace him with Bernier. The worst part about a game like this is one thinks about how much we could use Gerba. And a good coach should see at least within the first 20 minutes what TFC is doing and build a strategy to break it down but we kept doing the same old. I won't say Marsch was outcoached tonight because any coach can play 11 back, but he had no ideas on how to counter it. (Where have we seen that before? MNT fans?)

The more you watch a guy the more you get to see the limitations that still exist and need improving. Offensively he's a better player when he's afforded the space to run onto a pass with a head of steam underway. But when he's closed down by a marker fairly quickly he hasn't shown the craft and dribbling skills to conjure up something in a 1 v 1 and that's what's getting written on the scouting report. However, I still like his upside.

At the beginning of this season many were predicting bigger things from Stinson in year two of this program but he can't even get on the field, Winter opting to bring on CB Screech Emory to slot into the defensive duties of midfield for his final sub.

I think that you hit it on the nose regarding Morgan. When you look it him at as a rookie, you see great potential because of his pace, his good crosses, and his ability/willingness to push forward. But the key thing is to transform that potential into actual consistent performance. He has delivered some nice crosses in the past, but not last night. Thats why, this year is a critical year for him. But on the plus side, his positional defending seems better this year.

I don't know why Stinson isn't getting more playing time. I am puzzled by that one because i do not see what Dunfield can do that Stinson cant.

And that was the first clean sheet of the season for TFC....with 3 Canadians on the backline i might add. Coincidence? Hmmmm...

It worked but it really wasn’t pretty. Henry was evidently out of position and should be getting on the end of the crosses rather than trying to deliver them.

I don't know why Stinson isn't getting more playing time. I am puzzled by that one because i do not see what Dunfield can do that Stinson cant.

I suppose the logic behind bringing on Emory instead of Stinson was having a better aerial presence to defend long balls in dangerous areas

I suppose the logic behind bringing on Emory instead of Stinson was having a better aerial presence to defend long balls in dangerous areas

http://pitchpass.podbean.com/2012/05/03/trouble-in-toronto/

Listen to this podcast interview with Kurt Larson. The interviewers i believe are from the DC area. Listen to what he had to say about Morgan and Henry. Its in the final 3-5 minutes of the podcast. It sums up what we are both saying in this thread about Morgan. In my opinion, Nobody in the written mainstream media in this city has better read of the pulse on the of the team.

PS.: the whole interview is very good and really sums up well the situation here.

http://pitchpass.podbean.com/2012/05/03/trouble-in-toronto/

Listen to this podcast interview with Kurt Larson. The interviewers i believe are from the DC area. Listen to what he had to say about Morgan and Henry. Its in the final 3-5 minutes of the podcast. It sums up what we are both saying in this thread about Morgan. In my opinion, Nobody in the written mainstream media in this city has better read of the pulse on the of the team.

PS.: the whole interview is very good and really sums up well the situation here.

It's a good interview.

Never was totally convinced about Williams at CB: his last couple of matches before GC and season ending injury brought up some questions.

My feeling is that the team wasn't as good as last year's end of year run may have suggested, with a number of guys punching above their weight performance wise, but I honestly believe they're not as bad as some individuals make them out to be.

Archived