Canadians abroad: February 10-16, 2012

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 10-16, 2012.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kicker has Randy Edwini-Bonsu listed as a starting striker for Eintracht Braunschweig vs SC Karlsruhe in the Bundesliga 2 tomorrow.

Olivier Occean also in action tomorrow with Greuther Fuerth vs SC Paderborn.

In the top flight, expect both Kevin McKenna (Koeln) and Marcel de Jong (Augsburg) to start on Sunday as they are back in action in the Bundesliga 1 vs Hamburg and Nuernberg respectively.

Saarbruecken coach named Adam Straith as one of his top 2 players from last weekend's 2:2 draw. They are one of the few 3. Liga teams in action tomorrow (at home vs VfB Stuttgart reserves) due to unplayable pitches across Germany.

JBB played 90 minutes today for Preussen Muenster in a 0:0 draw vs Werder Bremen reserves also in the 3. Liga.

Kicker has Randy Edwini-Bonsu listed as a starting striker for Eintracht Braunschweig vs SC Karlsruhe in the Bundesliga 2 tomorrow.

I wouldn't count on it. Fetsch is injured, so they are putting Edwini-Bonsu there because he came in as a sub for Fetsch in the last game. Personally I'd rate this as somewhat unlikely, though (not entirely impossible, but it would surprise me).

I wouldn't count on it. Fetsch is injured, so they are putting Edwini-Bonsu there because he came in as a sub for Fetsch in the last game. Personally I'd rate this as somewhat unlikely, though (not entirely impossible, but it would surprise me).

And indeed Soccernet shows REB on the bench (in the second half)

Paul Lambert is a genius. I've never really complained about Jackson on the bench for that reason.

That is two games in a row Jackson has started. Amazingly, he seems to have taken Norwich's second leading scorer (8 goals) Morison's spot, as both times it was Morison coming in for Jackson late and basically playing the same position Jackson was.

Simeon's resilience is amazing!

And indeed Soccernet shows REB on the bench (in the second half)

Have to admit that it wasn't that hard to predict - REB came in for Fetsch, but didn't play the same position. So him being a more likely replacement than a player who could actually play Fetsch's position only makes sense if you write for Kicker I guess.

Anyway - was quite the sucky game. Edwini-Bonsu didn't come in, but it probably wouldn't have been the right game for him anyway, at this point. His weak spot so far has been physical play, and the game today didn't have much artistic value, to say the least.

Atiba starting at RB for PSV! If JDG2 and JH play for us, couldn't it make some sense to move Atiba to RB for the MNT?

It's certainly tempting, as he'd be our best right back option by far. But even if JDG2 and JH were available, neither of them has a defensive bone in their body, which is one of the strengths that Atiba brings into the midfield.

It's certainly tempting, as he'd be our best right back option by far. But even if JDG2 and JH were available, neither of them has a defensive bone in their body, which is one of the strengths that Atiba brings into the midfield.

It's true. I did think of that ... of course, putting him at RB would mean that one of Kluks / De Jong would not be on the field, where as we could put Kluks at RB, potentially, with Atiba in midfield.

It's true. I did think of that ... of course, putting him at RB would mean that one of Kluks / De Jong would not be on the field, where as we could put Kluks at RB, potentially, with Atiba in midfield.

This conversation probably does not belong in this thread, but my opinion is that De Jong and Klukowski are both so one-footed that they can't really be played on the right.

Olivier Occean scores a goal & assists on another in Greuther Furth's 5-1 win over SC Paderborn in the 2.Bundesliga

A huge win as they were in 4th and defeated 3rd place Paderborn moving to the top of the table in the process. However, the current 2nd and 3rd place teams both have a game in hand and play each other tomorrow. All possible outcomes of that game will slide them down to 2nd tomorrow but they will still be in an automatic promotion spot.

In less pleasant news DeJong started for Augsburg today but was subbed out due to an ankle injury in the 8th minute.

A huge win as they were in 4th and defeated 3rd place Paderborn moving to the top of the table in the process. However, the current 2nd and 3rd place teams both have a game in hand and play each other tomorrow. All possible outcomes of that game will slide them down to 2nd tomorrow but they will still be in an automatic promotion spot.

In less pleasant news DeJong started for Augsburg today but was subbed out due to an ankle injury in the 8th minute.

I saw that De Jong was subbed out due to injury ... didn't see the injury though, how bad did it look?

Archived