Canadians abroad: February 3-9, 2012

DJT

It's nice that he got a start, but I think it's his 3rd or 4th all year. With strikers, if you don't give them a run of 5 games or so to get some confidence going, you don't see their best most consistent play. Between the number of cup dates he's given them and really their whole premiership season which wouldn't have happened without him, he deserves more of a chance, especially given that he has got 4 goals this year as basically a sub.

They have alot of forward depth but the guys are hardly world beaters, guys like Lee Martin and Steve Morrison who might grab 10 goals in the premier league in a good season if you let them take penalties. Holt is OK, but he's old (just turning 31). Would really like to see him get a prolonged chance to produce at this level, and I think he's earned it.

Hopefully you're right and he gets the next start too.

From a purely self serving purpose of course I/we would love him to get more starts, but lets not be completely bias here and have a look.

-Morison has 8 goals and 4 assists in 1690 minutes in the premier league this season and offers a big physical presence as a target man

-Holt has 7 goals and 3 assists in 1347 minutes and is their captain

Norwich are currently in 9th place and by all accounts doing much better than anticipated. So it seems perfectly understandable that Jackson has'nt gotten more starts, sure he's scored goals and is looking more and more comfortable at this level but hes going to have to earn it and be a consistent force and when he does it will be of benefit to us.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Brethers
It's nice that he got a start, but I think it's his 3rd or 4th all year. With strikers, if you don't give them a run of 5 games or so to get some confidence going, you don't see their best most consistent play. Between the number of cup dates he's given them and really their whole premiership season which wouldn't have happened without him, he deserves more of a chance, especially given that he has got 4 goals this year as basically a sub.

They have alot of forward depth but the guys are hardly world beaters, guys like Lee Martin and Steve Morrison who might grab 10 goals in the premier league in a good season if you let them take penalties. Holt is OK, but he's old (just turning 31). Would really like to see him get a prolonged chance to produce at this level, and I think he's earned it.

Hopefully you're right and he gets the next start too.

I believe you mean Chris Martin, Lee Martin plays for Ipswich! Chris Martin is utter garbage, no way is he a premiership level player. Steve Morison is a very good player and has had a similar rise up the leagues to Simeon. Morison has also played superbly this year for Naaaarwich. James Vaughan is coming back from injury so that's another striker in there. Lambert is all about having a great team spirit, and for that the players have to play for the team and everyone needs to be rotated to keep their foot in. It wasn't disrespecting Simeon by subbing him off, it allowed him to come off to a great reception which will boost his confidence. The fans love him too, one of my friends is a Norwich fan and keeps mentioning it.

Ya take my comments with a grain of salt because admittedly I am biased and want to see Simeon get more playing time. I do think Holt is a good striker but Simeon had a better strike rate than Morrison in the championship last year so why did he get bypassed by him particularly when you take into account what he has done for the club. 3 starts is weak and seeing him get subbed not strategically, but for a straight replacement after being one of the best on the pitch and setting up that goal was just really odd to me. If it's a pure recognition moment, that's in injury time.

I really feel like he would have at least those 7 or 8 goals the other strikers have if he is given a run in the first team starting. Didn't expect him to be so good but he really looks like a premier league player to me the couple times I've seen him play this year. I heard Craig say he lacked consistency on SC after the match also, but to me good strikers are not about 90 minutes of steady effort the same way a defender is, but a few moments of explosiveness and creativity which is exactly the kind of player Simeon is.

I think that overall, Jackson's first PL season is coming along quite nicely. I personally can't question Lambert's decisions this season regarding his strikers. Morrison and Holt have both produced the goods from the start and Norwich have been getting results. In Lambert's post match interview following Jackson's 1st goal of the season when he came on vs Wolves, he spoke highly of Jackson and how he planned on giving him more minutes and seeing what he could do, which is really what's happened since then. Jackson's a different type of striker than the other two, and I think Lambert sees value in what he provides. So, if this season ends with Norwich keeping their PL place (which is looking most likely) and with Jackson continuing to make more appearances, including some as a starter, I think he'll have a shot a new PL contract.

The pride of Lethbridge, Nik Ledgerwood, was sent off with a straight red in the 37th minute of Wehen-Wiesbaden's 1-0 win at Darmstadt in the German 3. Liga. If my German serves me, he was sent off for violent conduct (taetlichkeit, in German) which will likely mean a decent suspension.

Guest Brethers

I want to see Simeon starting every game too, and always look out to see if he scores or starts. I hate Norwich but country above everything else so hopefully he gets as a good run because as has been said when he got a run last year he started banging them in. Let's hope this happens again this year

Norwich strikers are producing and fighting for places, which is all you can ask for as a manager. Also, the super-sub role is making it easy for Lambert to bring in strikers around the 70th minute, and Jackson has shown his worth as a sub. As a manager, you always expect injuries, but the Norwich strikers have stayed healthy. I don't see any fault in the coaches decisions.

Amazing how many goals this team scores on crosses and headers!

Overall, Jackson has to be happy. Plus, Reading, who are pushing for promotion, have already signalled they'd like Jackson as one of their strikers, and so he has some interest from other teams. If Reading gets through, at least there will be some competition for his signature on a contract.

Adam Straith goes 90 minutes in central defence for his new club FC Saarbruecken as they come back from a 2-0 deficit to draw Werder Bremen reserves 2-2 in Bremen.

Nik Ledgerwood picks up a red card late in the 1st half for a tactical foul (last man?) yesterday, but his SV Wehen Wiesbaden teammates hang on for a 1-0 away win in Darmstadt.

Adam Straith goes 90 minutes in central defence for his new club FC Saarbruecken as they come back from a 2-0 deficit to draw Werder Bremen reserves 2-2 in Bremen.

Nik Ledgerwood picks up a red card late in the 1st half for a tactical foul (last man?) yesterday, but his SV Wehen Wiesbaden teammates hang on for a 1-0 away win in Darmstadt.

My understanding of the German word describing Ledgerwood's red card (tätlichkeit) is that it describes violent conduct. I'm pretty sure this is what Nik was sent off for.

My understanding of the German word describing Ledgerwood's red card (tätlichkeit) is that it describes violent conduct. I'm pretty sure this is what Nik was sent off for.

Yes tätlichkeit means violent conduct. Apparently he was fouled and retaliated violently against the other player. A report calls the red card "a harsh but nevertheless justifiable decision by the referree."

Haber's team brought two forwards in on loan during transfer window.

"With only five substitutes allowed in a Scottish Cup tie and a requirement for two under 21 outfield players, Steve Lomas was forced into changes and Marcus Haber was the unlucky man dropping out of the squad, his starting line-up place going to David Robertson."

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/matchdaydetail.php?param=522

Joseph Di Chiara again in first eleven for Krylia Sovetov at Marbella Cup 2012. This time against CSKA Moscow.

Game will start in 40 minutes.

In the battle of the Eintrachts, Frankfurt beats Braunschweig 2-1. Friend stayed on the bench and Edwini-Bonsu got subbed in at the 68th minute.

Eintracht (the one that doesn't suck, I mean) played with three forwards in that game (with Fetsch being moved more into midfield). That's a new formation that has been tested during the winter break. If they stick with it, this would leave Edwini-Bonsu as the first forward off the bench for the rest of the season probably. As for REB - kind of a difficult opponent for your first game in the league. He lost every single duel against opposing players - that's something he'll have to work on.

Eintracht (the one that doesn't suck, I mean) played with three forwards in that game (with Fetsch being moved more into midfield). That's a new formation that has been tested during the winter break. If they stick with it, this would leave Edwini-Bonsu as the first forward off the bench for the rest of the season probably. As for REB - kind of a difficult opponent for your first game in the league. He lost every single duel against opposing players - that's something he'll have to work on.

Wow. Great to see him get a chance to play so soon. I thought he might have been a squad player for a while before cracking the first team. Shows a lot of faith. I wonder if this will prove to be one of those torch-passing moments, REB getting his first B2 minutes while Friend stays planted in the B2 pasture.

Any idea how he did against Kiev?

He played 45'. The text report on our guestook said that he saved us once from 100% goal and got one shot on opposition goal (far and wide, though). I couldn't see any of these moments in video that Kiev shared with us.

I also like the tendency that he's in first eleven for a second game in a row, despite it's to early to make any predictions for a season.

Good start for Adam Straith, highest rated defender for FC Saarbruecken yesterday in the 2-2 draw.

Aufstellung:

Marina (3,5) - Stiefler (4) , Straith (3) , Lerandy (3,5) , Eggert (4) - Sieger (3,5) , Kruse (4) - Salifou (3,5) , Laux (3) , Sökler (3) - Pisano (4)

Einwechslungen:

46. Wurtz (3) für Pisano

60. Kohler (3,5) für Sökler

Also, Nik L gets 3 games for his red card yesterday. Sorry for the mistranslation, having seen 'grosses foulspiel' often listed as a red-card reason, jumped to conclusions on the 'tatlichkeit' as cause.

260x195_nAhPkZIHif.jpeg

Archived