Canada vs USA friendly in June

Obinna

I would wager Canada vs X (where X isn't USA) won't be drawing half that.

I believe the numbers inflate when vs the USA, I'd be interested in knowing the attendance for Canada's rugby home fixtures in 2009 vs Wales and Ireland? Did those draw 10K? I can't find it myself to prove it either way.

Regardless, I hope it's in Toronto as I think it would do a good crowd and give us a chance to show off to the casuals in getting them ready for the matches to come.

I agree completely. Don't have the Rugby match attendance for those, but this summer it's supposedly Canada v. Italy at BMO, so we'll see then. I think the USA will be a great draw at BMO, I just don't think it necessarily works in every instance.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This game has to be at BMO and not Skydome (if it's in Toronto that is). I'd rather pack BMO with a strong, pro-Canadian crowd and see the boys get prepared for WCQ. If this game was to be hosted at Skydome, it'd be more of a spectacle and about trying to pack the dome and less about the preparation for trying to make the hex.

As has been said it cannot be at Skydome, if it were to be in Toronto, because the Blue Jays are playing that weekend...

As has been said it cannot be at Skydome, if it were to be in Toronto, because the Blue Jays are playing that weekend...

It won't be at Skydome, BC Place, Commonwealth, Olympic Stadium or any other venue that doesn't have a grass field! I just hope it is before us Voyageurs depart for Cuba!

Saturday in Toronto and then fly down to Cuba with those of us going the next day :)

That could work out great for people who don't live in close proximity to Toronto, USA Saturday, a week in Cuba including the away match, then return and take in Honduras! Now that's a roadtrip!

That could work out great for people who don't live in close proximity to Toronto, USA Saturday, a week in Cuba including the away match, then return and take in Honduras! Now that's a roadtrip!

Damm that sounds epic!!! Stupid getting married. Wish I could be a part of the whole thing but I'm gonna have to settle for the home matches only....

Not to be a prude, but if you fly over the ocean, can you still call it a "roadtrip"?

Yes! There will be road travel involved so it is technically a roadtrip! Sir Alph, I think you have to change your wedding plans, this is a trip of a lifetime, you can get married anytime!

I love a friendly vs the US, but this should be viewed as a big game and I would think be treated as such by the players, but do we want this a week before a big WCQ game? I would prefer to have a weaker game then and have this game as a game with the intensity and playing our starters as we would in an actual WCQ game.

I love a friendly vs the US, but this should be viewed as a big game and I would think be treated as such by the players, but do we want this a week before a big WCQ game? I would prefer to have a weaker game then and have this game as a game with the intensity and playing our starters as we would in an actual WCQ game.

I understand this point of view, but on the flip side there is something to be said about playing a tougher game as preparation. I agree the players will treat this as a big deal and my hope is that the intensity of the players will carry over into the WCQ's. And if we want to be the best in Concacaf, we have to compete against the best more.

Gator: I'll see what I can do :)

I can't think of something better to get you in a competitive mindset than a game vs. your rivals. This will be like a group we have USA, Cuba and Honduras all in a little over a week.

Ya I mean its great to get into a competitive mindset but it can also drain players if they put a lot of emphasis on the USA game, as well higher stress levels and intensity take more out of players as well lead to more injuries. I would imagine if you analyze all the teams in the world after big derby games and compiled a large sample size with games 5 days afterwards their performances will be worse. I want this game to mean something but its difficult to have it both ways and give everything for this game and push our top players when in reality the game against Cuba is so much more meaningful, so for me I would rather have this game be stand alone where we can really focus on it.

Part of the reason is games vs the USA will be the biggest draw for the casual fan in Canada, so we want to put out a great product and keep these fans engaged, playing this game right before WCQ will bring people in and thats a bonus but its a catch 22 on the players, do we hold back some because we have a massive game coming up or do we give it all and play it like a true derby game? (USA is also much deeper than us so like for like with 2nd string guys is advantage USA)

Archived