Feb 2 Event

Sam

Not disagreeing with the general sentiment at all, just playing to semantics, since it will be important to others. The difference between Vancouver and Toronto in flying from Europe is two hours - assuming direct of course. Has to do with flight plans using the curvature of the planet and the route airlines take to minimize fuel use (costs).

Honduras has about as many players in Europe as we do, and a few in China, so travel would be a wash for that game. I think that on both sides of the argument a lot of things are tossed about as important that really have no significant bearing. The travel issue is circumstantial more meaningful in some instances than in others, but ultimately, the reasons to favour Toronto are compelling and at this point in time, outweigh the reasons not to.

Make no mistake, all of the opponents we play - in both the semi and the hex if we get there - would, given their druthers, choose to play their away games in Toronto too. But ultimately, you do what you have to do to have the best chance to win. Right now, that is playing in Toronto IMO. So I believe it is a good choice by Hart.

Honduras will be flying from Tegucigalpa to the Toronto game on June 12. We will be flying from Cuba.

I this time jet lag won't be a factor since players from both teams will have been in NA since late May. I just did a quick research for fun on kayak.com and Tegucigalpa-Toronto with a commercial airline will be about 13 hours with 2 stops. Havana-Toronto is 3h30 with Air Canada (direct).

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not disagreeing with the general sentiment at all, just playing to semantics, since it will be important to others. The difference between Vancouver and Toronto in flying from Europe is two hours - assuming direct of course. Has to do with flight plans using the curvature of the planet and the route airlines take to minimize fuel use (costs).

I think paul-collins was referring to time zone changes rather than flight time when he said "Going from Europe to BC is 9h, or 50% more difference than the 6h to the Eastern time zone (Montreal / Ottawa / Toronto)."

I think paul-collins was referring to time zone changes rather than flight time when he said "Going from Europe to BC is 9h, or 50% more difference than the 6h to the Eastern time zone (Montreal / Ottawa / Toronto)."

You are right Rudi. I misread the paul-collins statement. Too used to the flight time argument I guess. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, thanks, Rudi. Vancouver is a good flight hub and receives European direct flights in very similar times because the flights go north over the top, as it were.

I'm more interested in the sleep-deprivation argument, and whether it holds water (I think it does); I also think that the point about adjusting during a long camp prior to the first game is valid, but when have we ever had a long camp?

Yes, thanks, Rudi. Vancouver is a good flight hub and receives European direct flights in very similar times because the flights go north over the top, as it were.

I'm more interested in the sleep-deprivation argument, and whether it holds water (I think it does); I also think that the point about adjusting during a long camp prior to the first game is valid, but when have we ever had a long camp?

I think it probably does too. One wonders though, when you are the underdog, what is optimal? To maximize your team's comfort or to maximize the other team's discomfort? I do think that in terms of the only factor I am interested - giving Canada the best chance to win - there may be times when playing in Vancouver, Moncton, Winnipeg, Edmonton etc is the best choice precisely because of the discomfort caused to the other side. When you are running a Chevy Cavalier against a Porsche, always go for the muddy track :-).

Edit: To reiterate however, I think the right choice was made for thes Semi-final games. Just thinking ahead to the hex, and other qualifying cycles.

Archived