Feb 2 Event

Sam

Montopoli told the media in Vancouver on January 29th that WC qualfiers will have to be played on natural grass unless special sanction is obtained from FIFA hence no games at BC Place. I found this strange since the pitch at BC Place is supposedly already FIFA approved... but perhaps it must be recertified on a regular basis and/or before any FIFA sanctioned internationals. Presumably it was sanctioned for the women's Olympic qualifiers.

I don't really have a bias here regarding the "where fors and why nots" regading the stadiums.

To me it sounds like, if we are to believe its a playing/coaching descision, then its an attempt top create a Fortress BMO mentality within the squad. Its the Kind of thing England do. They play ALL their home Games at wembley and very rarely get beaten there.

I appreciate the geography of England is a totally diffrent Issue but If that's the model Hart's working towards and it get Canada to the WCF's who gunna really complain?

I'm more concerned if June 3rd clashes with an Edmonton game, we might have to play without Saiko!

PS. Don't worry, I will be chearing for the Home team.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, a tournament that could not realistically have been held in any other part of the country in January and that Vancouver fans made into the most successful of it's kind ever held. And yet, the CSA rewards this behaviour by doing what, exactly? The next week they basically tell them that they'll likely not see 'their' national men's team play a match in the foreseeable future.

Oh right, the CSA should have "rewarded" Vancouver instead of playing the games in the best location. God talk about a sense of entitlement.

This was expected. The Cuba and Panama games will not be attended by many opposing fans, but the majority of US based Hondurans are within a 5-8 hour drive. They could pack the stadium with just their own fans. How can we ensure that 18,000 of the fans will be

pro-Canada?

I want to hear exactly how the CSA plans to deal with this. They should be proactive and have a strategy in place, instead of leaving it up to the fans. Can they not be restrictive and allow a bare minimum of away supports? Like 0? (Okay that is a joke obviously, perhaps limit them to a few hundred).

Oh right, the CSA should have "rewarded" Vancouver instead of playing the games in the best location. God talk about a sense of entitlement.

Yes, what an audacious sense of entitlement to think that the national team should make an effort to represent the entire nation. And what of those that are incredulous at the suggestion that the CSA make a conciliatory gesture by scheduling a couple of friendlies in the second and third largest population centers of a country with the second largest land mass in the world? Do they not display an unhealthy sense of entitlement?

Yes, what an audacious sense of entitlement to think that the national team should make an effort to represent the entire nation. And what of those that are incredulous at the suggestion that the CSA make a conciliatory gesture by scheduling a couple of friendlies in the second and third largest population centers of a country with the second largest land mass in the world? Do they not display an unhealthy sense of entitlement?

I agree that the CSA should schedule a friendly for sure for one of the other friendly windows (say November?) for Vancouver - I would have liked to see the June 3 friendly out west BUT, my guess is they want the players to be completely at home for the first two games. i.e.they will arrive in Toronto the last week of may and start training together, keep training until they fly down to Cuba. Builds some cohesion.

It makes sense to me that they would do it this way.

It is an unfortunate thing, but geography is the way it is. I don't think the V's out west are wrong to complain. It sucks. And I don't like to see the Eastern V's saying "grow up". But at the same time, objectively this is the best thing for the team.

I get the reasoning behind the decision.. doesn't mean I have to like it.

The CSA is missing an opportunity to grow the game more than just in the GTA. You've got Vancouver hitting the 2nd year of their MLS team after hosting a successful WNT Olympic Tourney. You've got Montreal hitting the MLS. Is it too much to ask to have 1 friendly in these locations at some point just to get some exposure? You are just going to end up with more people referring to it as the Toronto mens team instead.

I'm sure if they actually wanted to work on it, the CSA could get grass into BC Place for a game.. work with the Whitecaps.. maybe they'll want to host another international friendly and they can split the cost. The are options other than saying **** you BC grow up you spoiled little ****s like some of you are doing.

Location dispute asside. I have a great feeling that the media is going to jump on the bandwagon, due in part to the successful woman's olympic qualification. Seeing them in person is not an issue for me. Its getting quality media coverage and have it available to watch live - Across the Country! HUGE! The HEX, now thats important.

Everyone, just bow to your betters in Toronto already. They can't play in Vancouver because there's artificial turf! They can't play in Montreal because the stadium's not built yet! They can't play in Moncton because, um, spiders! Kneel and accept yet another reaming handed out to the rest of Canada by our southeastern Ontario overlords as the CSA takes our registration fees and gives us nothing in return but the shaft.

We must keep up the momentum that's seen us win once and draw three times in World Cup qualifiers all-time at BMO Field, all three of those draws being unbelievably disappointing results we should have won! We must keep up the momentum that's seen support for the national team in Toronto skyrocket, from a disappointing 21,978 fans for World Cup qualifying in 2008 to a remarkably strong 11,500, 12,178, and 10,375 fans for the last three games!

We must give the players from Toronto whatever they want, because the best way to have a successful asylum is to have the lunatics run it!

All praise our GTA overlords!

Everyone, just bow to your betters in Toronto already. They can't play in Vancouver because there's artificial turf! They can't play in Montreal because the stadium's not built yet! They can't play in Moncton because, um, spiders! Kneel and accept yet another reaming handed out to the rest of Canada by our southeastern Ontario overlords as the CSA takes our registration fees and gives us nothing in return but the shaft.

We must keep up the momentum that's seen us win once and draw three times in World Cup qualifiers all-time at BMO Field, all three of those draws being unbelievably disappointing results we should have won! We must keep up the momentum that's seen support for the national team in Toronto skyrocket, from a disappointing 21,978 fans for World Cup qualifying in 2008 to a remarkably strong 11,500, 12,178, and 10,375 fans for the last three games!

We must give the players from Toronto whatever they want, because the best way to have a successful asylum is to have the lunatics run it!

Get a clue, LB. Seriously, the only thing the logic from the west is convincing me to do right now is buy some BC bud.

Wait, we only have one win and three draws in WCQ at BMO?

I could've sworn we beat two of our opponents there less than six months ago...

So are you going to tell me where I'm wrong, or is it just your inherent Ontario superiority which convinces you that I must be?

I'll let Gerry D put it bluntly: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/02/03/dobson_blog/?utm_source=Soccer%20Lineup%20RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Dobson%20on%20men%27s%20team%3A%20In%20defence%20of%20Toronto#community

"The usual conspiracy theory is rising up once again; that this is a CSA/Toronto thing. Let me tell you right now: that idea is naive, wrongheaded, and just plain dumb. "

"The simple fact is that coach Stephen Hart and the players want the games played in Toronto, and if that's what they want, that's good enough for me. The Canadian men's team owes Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver (or Toronto for that matter) nothing. "

PERIOD. They want to play there, LB. They don't NEED to play anywhere else.

Wait, we only have one win and three draws in WCQ at BMO?

I could've sworn we beat two of our opponents there less than six months ago...

You are, of course, correct. I had the venues for SKN 0-0 CAN and CAN 4-0 SKN switched up in my head. My apologies, Toronto, I have done you a disservice to the tune of four goals and two points. When the facts aren't on my side I back up and admit it.

You are, of course, correct. I had the venues for SKN 0-0 CAN and CAN 4-0 SKN switched up in my head. My apologies, Toronto, I have done you a disservice to the tune of four goals and two points. When the facts aren't on my side I back up and admit it.

Victory!

In all seriousness though, I think if we make the hex Vancouver and Montréal should each get at least one WCQ, and that friendlies should be more evenly distributed. Can we all stop pretending like we're included in the decision making though? These regional arguments are starting to go a bit too far beyond tongue-in-cheek.

A couple things:

1) What other reamings are you referring to?

2) You for some reason are speaking on behalf of the rest of Canada, however the only really negative voices in all of this are generally based on BC (I know SthMelbRed isn't there now, but was). I don't think anyone placed the Freedom Fighter for all of Canada on your mantle.

3) So, were these speeches several weeks in the making? Because this came as no surprise to me.

4) What about the time between the Canada-Mexico game in 2000 and the Canada-Costa Rica game in 2007? No games were played in the GTA. If they were willing to play a U20 game at the Skydome (without bringing in turf), or friendlies at Claude Robillard or WCQ in that cow pasture in Kingston, I'm sure they could've found a field in the GTA that could've supported a game.

Crikey. I'm no fan of Toronto so I find myself in an awkward position defending them mostly because the rhetoric being thrown around is so over the top it's laughable.

For everyone from Vancouver who thinks the CSA is out to screw them, didn't Vancouver host a major tournament last week?

It's January. In Canada. Vancouver has an indoor stadium. Where else were they going to hold it?

That being said, as a Vancouverite I'm not mad about the games being in Toronto. It makes sense on too many levels.

It's January. In Canada. Vancouver has an indoor stadium. Where else were they going to hold it?

That being said, as a Vancouverite I'm not mad about the games being in Toronto. It makes sense on too many levels.

Are you sure you're a Vancouverite? This post is too reasonable. :)

i

Haha dude although I have found your last few posts very annoying, THAT just made me laugh out loud. I don't agree with your point but your use of the word "overloards" in this context almost made me fall off my chair. Well played!

The decision has been made, time to put up or shut up.

Start organizing wherever you are. If it's not the GTA then organize an event at a local bar and get people out to it.

Take the pledge to bring out 1 more.

1 more to the game

1 more to the pub to watch

1 more to your house for a party

I am disapointed that all the games are going to be in Toronto, but if the players and Hart wanted to be there then who are we to argue. Looking forward to the meet-ups at Doolin's to watch OUR team! Still thinking about about getting a new shirt...hmmmmm

Archived