Feb 2 Event

Sam

June 3rd against the states? why that day :(

Boy I know what you mean. Unless Trevor can perform a miracle (please baby jesus, please) we're going to be on a flight right during our celebratory Centennial match. :( I am so very torn at the moment. It was weird, because I love the jerseys and was over the moon when our players stepped out in them, and then it dawned on me that we would be in mid-air when the boys were on the pitch against our greatest rival.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's still 11 out of 13 games played out west. Many in Swangard. The problem is we've outgrown stadiums like Swangard and Varsity. Toronto and Montreal have moved with the times ... and Vancouver has decided they don't want a grass soccer-specific stadium. Until Edmonton or Vancouver move forward with a more modern facility, I'd expect national team games there would be few and far between.

If I was a Montrealer, I'd be furious about this. And yet it's those who knew they were out of the running already, because of the choices their own cities were making, that seem to be upset.

The Saputo renovations are running way behind schedule and with MTL's notoriously inefficient construction industry with a history of delays, they probably couldn't guarantee the facility to the CSA (the big O is not an option with it's horrendous turf).

In my opinion, a game in each of MLS's Canadian venues BMO Field, BC Place, and Saputo Stadium, would have been much more appropriate in an attempt to grow the support for Canadian soccer in all corners of the country.
The goal of world-cup qualifying isn't to "grow the support for Canadian soccer". It's to qualify for the world cup, which would grow support of Canadian soccer far more than the location of qualifiers.

Clearly BC Place is not an option with it's artificial surface. The players have made it very clear they don't want to play on an artificial surface.

This was because, until BMO was built, there wasn't a stadium in Toronto that could host matches.

Are you sure about that? I thought I went to a U-20 friendly against the US in 2006 in the Skydome. I only point this out to indicate that there were facilities available, they were just not used.

So, as I missed it, what exactly was said that has made certain people so angry? From the sounds of it, it would seem that Mont Pete pissed on the BC flag or some such thing.

If I was a Montrealer, I'd be furious about this. And yet it's those who knew they were out of the running already, because of the choices their own cities were making, that seem to be upset.

I'm a Montrealer and I'm furious. Getting to Toronto for Tuesday or Friday night game is just not possible if you work Mon-Fri 9-5. Soccer is still not popular enough for that many people to drop everything and travel to games that far away. The game has to come to the people every once in a while in order for it to grow. What baffles me is not that Toronto got all three WCQ's, but that it also got the centennial match on top of that! I though Montreal or Vancouver would at least get that. I agree with SthMelbRed, this could have negative long-term effects on the fan base.

Boy I know what you mean. Unless Trevor can perform a miracle (please baby jesus, please) we're going to be on a flight right during our celebratory Centennial match. :( I am so very torn at the moment. It was weird, because I love the jerseys and was over the moon when our players stepped out in them, and then it dawned on me that we would be in mid-air when the boys were on the pitch against our greatest rival.

Well I have to work 28th-1st anyway so I always assumed I wouldn’t make that game, but it is kind of a kick in the pants to be in Toronto the day of the game but not there to attend.

Are you sure about that? I thought I went to a U-20 friendly against the US in 2006 in the Skydome. I only point this out to indicate that there were facilities available, they were just not used.

So, as I missed it, what exactly was said that has made certain people so angry? From the sounds of it, it would seem that Mont Pete pissed on the BC flag or some such thing.

I don't know about U-20 games played at SkyDome, but the prevailing opinion has always been that SkyDome is not suited for soccer, unless it's one-off events where they can bring in a temporary grass pitch.

As for what's made some of us angry, it's not exactly what was said, but what wasn't said. It's clear from the announcement of the 2012 CMNT home schedule that the CSA does not plan on scheduling any mens's matches outside of Toronto. If we qualify for the Hex, they will use all of the same justifications that they used to make this decision to ensure that all of the home matches in the Hex stay in Toronto, and they'll pile more on that by claiming that they don't want to change the formula that worked in this round. If that's the road they want to take, I think it's a very dangerous road for the long-term support of our national teams. I think that if they were genuine in choosing this path for the good of qualifying, they'd have made some gesture to the rest of the country to make up for it. The overall impression is that they don't give a **** that the rest of the country doesn't get to see any games. That's the problem. As I said earlier, if they go on to book fairly high-profile friendlies in other locations for later in the year, as part of the Centenary celebrations, this could go a long way to appeasing any potential issues that today's announcement could cause.

I don't know about U-20 games played at SkyDome, but the prevailing opinion has always been that SkyDome is not suited for soccer, unless it's one-off events where they can bring in a temporary grass pitch.

As for what's made some of us angry, it's not exactly what was said, but what wasn't said. It's clear from the announcement of the 2012 CMNT home schedule that the CSA does not plan on scheduling any mens's matches outside of Toronto. If we qualify for the Hex, they will use all of the same justifications that they used to make this decision to ensure that all of the home matches in the Hex stay in Toronto, and they'll pile more on that by claiming that they don't want to change the formula that worked in this round. If that's the road they want to take, I think it's a very dangerous road for the long-term support of our national teams. I think that if they were genuine in choosing this path for the good of qualifying, they'd have made some gesture to the rest of the country to make up for it. The overall impression is that they don't give a **** that the rest of the country doesn't get to see any games. That's the problem. As I said earlier, if they go on to book fairly high-profile friendlies in other locations for later in the year, as part of the Centenary celebrations, this could go a long way to appeasing any potential issues that today's announcement could cause.

The only thing that matters is qualifying for the Hex and then the WC. I couldn't care less about pleasing every region of Canada and I hope the CSA, when they are scheduling crucial WCQ's, aren't considering this as a factor.

If the CSA and the MNT staff/players thinks Toronto is our best option, so be it.

The only think that could grow significantly MNT support around the country is qualifying for the WC. Playing a WCQ game here and there would help but to the detriment of getting the best conditions for qualifying.

The least travel the better for our players and sadly Vancouver is geographically challenged.

The only thing that matters is qualifying for the Hex and then the WC. I couldn't care less about pleasing every region of Canada and I hope the CSA, when they are scheduling crucial WCQ's, aren't considering this as a factor.

I think people are losing sight of this. In the end if we qualify we should all be happy no matter where the games are being played.

What a lot of (angry non ontarians) are failing to realize is the growth of support that's happening in the GTA for the CMNT.

You can't grow a fan base by playing one game every couple of years, you need to return and stick with an area to develop a lasting bond with the audience.

Anyone who grew up in the 90's in the GTA likely has no clue of the CMNT or any attachment, because they didn't exist to us here by always playing out West. This cycle now is going to really blow up this summer and develop a lasting relationship between soccer fans in the GTA and the Canadian team. This is what we're about, supporting our team and growing the interest, no? This is going to accomplish that task in this region of the country and everyone should be behind that point instead of being bloody butthurt about the game not being in their backyard, or slagging the GTA V's for not being good enough. It's terrible form and selfish bull****.

When this cycle is all said and done, I'd be all for the 2018 cycle being played in a different region of the country to do what we're accomplishing here. This is what would be best for the overall growth and notoriety of the CMNT, lasting strong relationships with it's fans instead of a one off game here and there that has little effect.

I'm pretty disappointed in some angry responses because I believe it's purely selfish and/or just hate for the CSA. Suggesting they don't give a **** about the rest of the country is utter nonsense. They are gaining traction in this region, BMO is the best venue, the players love it and claim it feels like home.......this isn't about pissing on the rest of the nation, it's about building momentum and not wasting all the efforts built here so far. To walk away from Toronto now would make this past summer a wasted effort.

I'm sorry but some of you guys need to grow up and look at the bigger picture here.

So now that we know when and where all the matches are, when can we expect to hear about ticket info? If I'm gonna take a couple days off work to head to T.O., I need to know fairly far in advance.

I think Montopoli said tickets will go on sale April 13th...

I'm already on it. Some prayers would help though.

Okay guys who are complaining, this is getting really pathetic.

All games are in Toronto? Big deal who cares? Stop thinking about your selfish desire to attend and think about the team. They wanted this.

The players and coaching staff obviously feel at home in Toronto. That is good for the psychology of the team. Ask yourself, if you were a player would you rather play, train, sleep, and eat in the same place for home games? I know I would.

From the CSA website:

"While in the Toronto area, the Canadian team will also make use of the grass soccer training grounds at Nottawasaga Inn in nearby Alliston, ON"

This is where they ALWAYS train and stay when they are in Toronto. You want to achieve continuity in any way possible. That will make the preparation easier.

This whole "lets give every region a fair chance" is BS. This whole "growing the profile of the game in other cities" is BS. People don't need to see the team live to be fans. I have NEVER seen the MNT in person.

Congrats to the CSA for having some balls and doing what is right for the team!

The goal of world-cup qualifying isn't to "grow the support for Canadian soccer". It's to qualify for the world cup, which would grow support of Canadian soccer far more than the location of qualifiers.

Clearly BC Place is not an option with it's artificial surface. The players have made it very clear they don't want to play on an artificial surface.

The same turf that Liverpool FC have their players practice on.

I am annoyed by the fact that none of the games are during a weekend. My job makes Tuesday and Friday games impossible to get to, especially three time zones away. Hopefully the hex......

This was expected. The Cuba and Panama games will not be attended by many opposing fans, but the majority of US based Hondurans are within a 5-8 hour drive. They could pack the stadium with just their own fans. How can we ensure that 18,000 of the fans will be

pro-Canada?

If we can get six points in the first two games, we'll be in the driver's seat for one of the two spots.

For everyone from Vancouver who thinks the CSA is out to screw them, didn't Vancouver host a major tournament last week?

Yes, a tournament that could not realistically have been held in any other part of the country in January and that Vancouver fans made into the most successful of it's kind ever held. And yet, the CSA rewards this behaviour by doing what, exactly? The next week they basically tell them that they'll likely not see 'their' national men's team play a match in the foreseeable future.

Yes, a tournament that could not realistically have been held in any other part of the country in January and that Vancouver fans made into the most successful of it's kind ever held. And yet, the CSA rewards this behaviour by doing what, exactly? The next week they basically tell them that they'll likely not see 'their' national men's team play a match in the foreseeable future.
Montopoli told the media in Vancouver on January 29th that WC qualfiers will have to be played on natural grass unless special sanction is obtained from FIFA hence no games at BC Place. I found this strange since the pitch at BC Place is supposedly already FIFA approved... but perhaps it must be recertified on a regular basis and/or before any FIFA sanctioned internationals. Presumably it was sanctioned for the women's Olympic qualifiers.

Archived