WCQ Location Predictions

lupien

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the games are in Toronto for my own selfish reasons but what I find interesting in all of this is that the CMNT has actually only ever won ONE game in Toronto, our fortress of support. A pretty unconvincing 4-1 win against St. Lucia.

In fact, I'm trying to recall a game where we actually played well in Toronto. Only one that comes to mind is that 2-2 draw against Venezuela... Other recent games included that 0-0 gem against PR, 2-0 loss to Peru, the one against St Kitts, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the games are in Toronto for my own selfish reasons but what I find interesting in all of this is that the CMNT has actually only ever won ONE game in Toronto, our fortress of support. A pretty unconvincing 4-1 win against St. Lucia.

In fact, I'm trying to recall a game where we actually played well in Toronto. Only one that comes to mind is that 2-2 draw against Venezuela... Other recent games included that 0-0 gem against PR, 2-0 loss to Peru, the one against St Kitts, etc...

A few problems here:

1. Canada has won many matches in Toronto. Just relatively few at BMO.

2. By my count, they have at least two wins at BMO, over St Lucia (4-1) and St Kitts (4-0)

3. Canada has never played Venezuela at BMO. The 2-2 draw you were thinking of was against Ecuador.

Canada all-time at BMO is 2-4-1. Hardly a good record, given the quality of opponents, but nothing to get worked up about either, especially given the miniscule sample size.

wins: St Lucia (2 Sep 2011), St Kitts (15 Nov 2011)

draws: Costa Rica (friendly 12 Sep 2007), Jamaica (WCQ 20 August 2008), Ecuador (friendly 1 Jun 2001), Puerto Rico (11 Oct 2011)

losses: Peru (friendly 4 Sep 2010)

What happened to the game where we beat St. Kitts in November at BMO?

What happened to the game where we beat St. Kitts in November at BMO?

You're right there's that one too. I guess a win against powerhouse St Kitts when the results of the pool were already determined and no one had anything to play for kinda slipped my mind :) Anyways, point being it's time to start cashing in on all of this familiarity, comfort, pitch surface preference, hotel food, etc... into some actually meaningful W's for a change. Revenge against the US would be a nice start.

A few problems here:

1. Canada has won many matches in Toronto. Just relatively few at BMO.

2. By my count, they have at least two wins at BMO, over St Lucia (4-1) and St Kitts (4-0)

3. Canada has never played Venezuela at BMO. The 2-2 draw you were thinking of was against Ecuador.

Canada all-time at BMO is 2-4-1. Hardly a good record, given the quality of opponents, but nothing to get worked up about either, especially given the miniscule sample size.

wins: St Lucia (2 Sep 2011), St Kitts (15 Nov 2011)

draws: Costa Rica (friendly 12 Sep 2007), Jamaica (WCQ 20 August 2008), Ecuador (friendly 1 Jun 2001), Puerto Rico (11 Oct 2011)

losses: Peru (friendly 4 Sep 2010)

You're right, sorry about the Ecuador slip. I suppose I'm just a little sour seeing as how the three last games I've been to at BMO have all been pretty bleak (2-0 Peru, 0-0 PR, 1-1 Jam). Point being if we're building a fortress of support, this cycle I hope (as we all do) that we see the results on the pitch to justify it all and get some solid convincing W's on the board

Here's a little thought on the comparative records around the country we're all discussing:

We don't win enough anywhere. If we did, we wouldn't be so amazed at the prospect of making the hex this year.

Seriously, they're trying out something new by playing in Toronto, the players and coaching staff have apparently said that they feel like this will give them a greater advantage. So why not let's all of us just say "what odds"?

Can it really hurt that much to try something slightly different than the thing that hasn't worked since 1986?

After almost 30 years of not making the world cup, this whole regionalized implosion amongst fans seems like a giant waste of energy to me...

To add onto the above post, since the end of the 1997 hex, Canada wins at home (friendly/WCQ/otherwise)

Toronto: Macedonia ('98, 1-0), Guatemala ('99 1-0), Jamaica ('99 1-0), Trinidad ('00 1-0), St Lucia (WCQ '11 4-1), St. Kitts (WCQ '11 4-0)

Edmonton: Guatemala (Can Cup '99 2-0)

Winnipeg: Honduras ('00 3-1), Panama (WCQ '00 1-0)

Kingston: Belize (WCQ '04 4-0), Belize (WCQ '04 4-0)

Montreal: St Vincent (WCQ '08 4-1), Honduras ('10 2-1)

In conclusion, outside of the minnow round of WCQ we've won exactly one home game since 2000, against a Honduran F squad. Based on group results/standings etc, the last meaningful games we won at home were the back to back 2-0 wins against Cuba in Edmonton in October of 1996. That's over 15 years ago.

To add onto the above post, since the end of the 1997 hex, Canada wins at home (friendly/WCQ/otherwise)

Toronto: Macedonia ('98, 1-0), Guatemala ('99 1-0), Jamaica ('99 1-0), Trinidad ('00 1-0), St Lucia (WCQ '11 4-1), St. Kitts (WCQ '11 4-0)

In conclusion, outside of the minnow round of WCQ we've won exactly one home game since 2000, against a Honduran F squad.

Based on group results/standings etc, the last meaningful games we won at home were the back to back 2-0 wins against Cuba in Edmonton in October of 1996. That's over 15 years ago.

THANK YOU for posting this. This should be required reading for all Canadian fans. We (myself included) see our good gold cup record and forget we don't win at home. As I said before you can't blame them for doing something different and keep all the games in one place I just want to make the hex.

THANK YOU for posting this. This should be required reading for all Canadian fans. We (myself included) see our good gold cup record and forget we don't win at home. As I said before you can't blame them for doing something different and keep all the games in one place I just want to make the hex.

So, we have more success playing in cavernous, mostly empty, and often times NFL stadiums with a hundred or so Canadian fans in the US than we do at home :) Maybe that's what we try next?

In conclusion, outside of the minnow round of WCQ we've won exactly one home game since 2000, against a Honduran F squad. Based on group results/standings etc, the last meaningful games we won at home were the back to back 2-0 wins against Cuba in Edmonton in October of 1996. That's over 15 years ago.

In 2006 we beat Jamaica 1-0 in Montreal in a friendly too

Archived