WCQ Location Predictions

lupien

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe if you buy 3 at once, making it through that beer line twice in one pre-game event likely will cost you half the match.

The line for the last two matches wasn't as bad as it was for the first WCQ this year.

That said, the pitchers are $12 each, so just buy one or two of those!

The line for the last two matches wasn't as bad as it was for the first WCQ this year.

That said, the pitchers are $12 each, so just buy one or two of those!

I agree, still not sure why they haven't added a second keg/server to do it though? Double the speed of service which halves that line, then split that line over 2 servers and you only have 10 person long lines, not 40. :)

Doesn't make much business sense to have people wanting to give you money but unable to.

I agree, still not sure why they haven't added a second keg/server to do it though? Double the speed of service which halves that line, then split that line over 2 servers and you only have 10 person long lines, not 40. :)

Doesn't make much business sense to have people wanting to give you money but unable to.

Agree completely. This should be up for discussion in the future.

Speaking from experience I imagine they're at the mercy of the brewery. From what I remember Maro isn't hard plumbed for draught so they had a kagatator supplied by the brewery. Even the big boys only tend to have one or two of these things and they seem to always be hard to get ahold of.

Interesting comments from Montopoli seem to suggest that while Vancouver may be in the running for the Women's World Cup Final they probably will not be hosting MNT games this summer. And more interestingly he threw Moncton in there as a possible venue.

I don't mind going to Toronto, it's a very easy city to fly into, as there are tons of flights from Western Canada to there (the same can be said about Vancouver too, but maybe not necessarily flying east-to-west, I've never actually checked).

Personally, I'd like the matches to be spread out so all of the V's get a chance to see the MNT, and for those who like to travel, see all of our beautiful country.

However, I understand why all of the WCQ's would be in one location, as the players build a familiarity to the surroundings, and so do local fans.

In light of today's announcement regarding CMNT fixtures for 2012, I think the CSA better be working on something fairly big for both Vancouver and Montreal for later this year. If they don't do something, they risk turning half the country off the national team. Today's announcement has virtually guaranteed that nobody will see our 'national' team play a competitive home fixture outside of Toronto until at least late-2015. While this will give many of you Southern Ontarians orgasms, it's not going to do much for the rest of the country. There are many passionate football supporters in the west who will travel east occasionally for a match, but once it becomes clear that it's a permanent requirement if you want to see a match in Canada, that will dry up pretty quickly. There are international friendly dates on Novemeber 14th and February 6th. I'm of the mind that the CSA should do everything in their power to ensure that those dates are booked with decent opposition, one in Vancouver and one in Montreal.

Why makes Montreal/Vancouver any different than Edmonton or Moncton? Edmonton still holds the one game attendance record and Moncton would guarantee a majority Canada crowd.

The point remains the same for those places, as well. Montreal and Vancouver are the next major population centres in the country after Toronto, though. So with two friendly dates to work with, I think the CSA should be making conciliatory gestures by scheduling matches in those cities.

The point remains the same for those places, as well. Montreal and Vancouver are the next major population centres in the country after Toronto, though. So with two friendly dates to work with, I think the CSA should be making conciliatory gestures by scheduling matches in those cities.
Vancouver's already out for August 15th - Whitecaps are playing that day at BC Place.

Funny how everyone talks about artificial turf compared to grass. Last time Canada tried to qualify, games were played on turf in Toronto.
And the players made it very, very clear that they were unhappy about that. CSA seems to have forced it on them ... CSA was under it's own pressure, as it had signed an unfortunate contract requiring them to play 6 games a year at BMO ... for which they are have now finally agreed to pay penalties to the City of Toronto for failing to fulfill.

Why not Edmonton or Moncton? Edmonton still holds the one game attendance record and Moncton would guarantee a majority Canada crowd.

Edmonton is fieldturf now, so they're out.

The Moncton claim is debatable, but since they've never hosted a match of any kind before no one really knows what to expect from them. In (optimistic) theory, the locals would come out to support canada since there aren't large immigrant populations in the maritimes, but Moncton is just as easy to get to for the central americans living in Boston and the rest of the northeast US as is Montreal. Moncton is also much less accessible for the hardcore canadian supporters, who are concentrated in southern ontario. So really, we could be doing the opposition a favour, but since we've never played there we don't really know. There's also the factor that Moncton doesn't have direct flights to Europe as opposed to say, Toronto or Montreal.

I would love to see a game in Moncton, or anywhere else in Atlantic Canada. Moncton's stadium is the perfect size and surface for soccer, so it's definitely worth trying out at some point for a friendly, but not an important WCQ. It's just too much of a risk.

For all the Moncton love, if Toronto can't get meaningful home games with pro-Canadian crowd (ie Honduras/Panama) with an entire qualifying campaign devoted to getting a HFA by hosting all games there, then Toronto should be out for hosting any WCQ's for the forseeable future.

You struggle to find a lowest common denominator of fair but you ignore what is best for winning conditions. Mtl will make some sense when the stadium is finished. A friendly is a one off ticket sale that would allow away support. A series of wcq games in the same location means selling packages to all games which are attractive to our supporters and not to single game buying visitors.

One could even sell groupons etc to locals only like Vancouver did for the WOQ. This works. It creates winning conditions and a buzz in the local market where the games are to be played and a comfort and familiarity for the host players.

One way to touch multiple markets is with different teams. The ladies in Vancouver worked for the same reasons above. Note that the insurance issues for pro men would not matter for the ladies as they dont have contracts that the CSA need to protect so turf did not matter.

What we all should be trying to ensure is regional stadia development opportunites from the Womens world cup. Toronto is not getting ANY games (!) due to pan am games but already has a grass stadium. The chosen 6 cities have a chance to develop infrastructure that creates new teams hopefully with grass. And Just imagine how many 20k seat grass facilities could have put accross the country for the 100's of M$ that BC Place reno cost all Canadians.

You struggle to find a lowest common denominator of fair but you ignore what is best for winning conditions. Mtl will make some sense when the stadium is finished. A friendly is a one off ticket sale that would allow away support. A series of wcq games in the same location means selling packages to all games which are attractive to our supporters and not to single game buying visitors.

One could even sell groupons etc to locals only like Vancouver did for the WOQ. This works. It creates winning conditions and a buzz in the local market where the games are to be played and a comfort and familiarity for the host players.

One way to touch multiple markets is with different teams. The ladies in Vancouver worked for the same reasons above. Note that the insurance issues for pro men would not matter for the ladies as they dont have contracts that the CSA need to protect so turf did not matter.

What we all should be trying to ensure is regional stadia development opportunites from the Womens world cup. Toronto is not getting ANY games (!) due to pan am games but already has a grass stadium. The chosen 6 cities have a chance to develop infrastructure that creates new teams hopefully with grass. And Just imagine how many 20k seat grass facilities could have put accross the country for the 100's of M$ that BC Place reno cost all Canadians.

Does insuring players cost more for a match on artificial turf than it does for a match on grass? I haven't seen anything other than speculation on this.

So, if we fail to qualify for the World Cup using Toronto as a permanent base, does that mean that all those that are championing the current situation be content for the men's team to abandon Toronto for a different permanent base where we might find this magical formula that guarantees success? If 5,000 Hondurans show up and make more noise than the Canadians at BMO, will that be justification to abandon Toronto for all future matches? Will the Toronto fans see such moves as justified? I highly doubt it.

And for the record, the BC Place renovations were paid for by the BC provincial government. Nobody outside of the province of British Columbia paid a dime towards the renovation costs. This is different from BMO Stadium, which was partly paid for by federal government funds.

Does insuring players cost more for a match on artificial turf than it does for a match on grass? I haven't seen anything other than speculation on this.

So, if we fail to qualify for the World Cup using Toronto as a permanent base, does that mean that all those that are championing the current situation be content for the men's team to abandon Toronto for a different permanent base where we might find this magical formula that guarantees success? If 5,000 Hondurans show up and make more noise than the Canadians at BMO, will that be justification to abandon Toronto for all future matches? Will the Toronto fans see such moves as justified? I highly doubt it.

If we fail to qualify AND we fail to have a pro Canadian crowd, then I am in support of finding a new home base! Whatever is best for the team is what I support.

It is not just those who live in Toronto that think this is a good decision.

If we fail to qualify AND we fail to have a pro Canadian crowd, then I am in support of finding a new home base! Whatever is best for the team is what I support.

It is not just those who live in Toronto that think this is a good decision.

We'll see how good a decision it is in a few years when the part of the country that produced the players that qualified for Canada's only World Cup appearance and won the Gold Cup has become emotionally detached from the CMNT.

Archived