WCQ Location Predictions

lupien

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a factor that is playing into the behind-the-scenes decision making by Hart & Co. is the mobilization of Canadian hardcore support in the "Corridor". 2008 showed the ability of the hardcore Corridor support (along with those who traveled, but obviously the vast majority were those living in the GTA) to not only materialize itself at games, but also to make it a point to bring people they knew and to grow the hype. When it comes to both Honduras and Panama, it's going to take this already developed expectation of the local soccer fans, the Support Local Football movement, to really push things over the edge, due to the support that Honduras and Panama are going to be able to materialize. Vancouver will be able to do this for the Centennial games, but I don't believe there would be as much success in polarizing the cities in the Vancouver & Victoria parts of BC as there would be in the Corridor due to the work that has already been done out there.

I can't substantiate this with stats, unfortunately, so yes you may tear me to shreds for this one. I do believe it is relevant, though.

I think we should move past the "don't play a game here because so and so might have a large ethnic base" and move into the "heck yeah it's a home game and we are going to crush it with home support" method of thinking.

Everyone commits to coming, everyone brings 1 friend. If you dont live in the city where the game is but can get there then go. If you cant go, tell your friends to go.

We have gone up and up each game since 2008. Lets just take it to the next level.

I think we should move past the "don't play a game here because so and so might have a large ethnic base" and move into the "heck yeah it's a home game and we are going to crush it with home support" method of thinking.

Everyone commits to coming, everyone brings 1 friend. If you dont live in the city where the game is but can get there then go. If you cant go, tell your friends to go.

We have gone up and up each game since 2008. Lets just take it to the next level.

Maybe change that to "everyone bring 15 friends" and we can start taking that attitude. If each person here brought one friend we would have one awesome section but we'd be over run still. The average Canadian doesn't know about these games, that's a major problem so we can't just have an offensive attitude. Within the past year we've built a good base in Toronto, 5 matches within Toronto/Montreal supporter's reach (4 in Toronto, 1 in Detroit) has really helped us be organized as a group. Yes, of course it sucks for supporters out west I feel for you guys I really do and you deserve one more friendlies in the next year without a doubt. When TFC entered MLS there was a significant boom in awareness of the MNT, it came with the territory with local stars playing for the NT as well now with Montreal entering MLS hopefully that can convert a lot of people to the CMNT and to hopefully come down to Toronto on some buses. Toronto makes sense for every reason I can really think of... simply, the goal for the CMNT is to get demand from Canadians to a level much higher than our opponents fans so it won't even matter if they want to come to the game, they won't be able to get the tickets they may have wanted.

Maybe change that to "everyone bring 15 friends" and we can start taking that attitude. If each person here brought one friend we would have one awesome section but we'd be over run still. The average Canadian doesn't know about these games, that's a major problem so we can't just have an offensive attitude. .

Challenge Accepted!

Why can't we go on the offensive...

21,000 seat stadium divided by 200+ (anyone know the real number) V's within game range = 104 friends each. So either we bump up the ratio per V or get more V's :)

I will personally commit to bringing 15 people to each game in Toronto (minimum) (

who's in?

Let's start it now. The "Plus One More" Pledge is now the Plus 15 Pledge For 2012*

*assuming games in Toronto or Montreal.

I'll take the pledge but with a slight change, to make it bring 15 people out to watch the game with me at the pub if I can't be there live. If we wanna grow Vs, the next best thing to bringing people to the stadium is getting them to the viewing party.

I'll take the pledge but with a slight change, to make it bring 15 people out to watch the game with me at the pub if I can't be there live. If we wanna grow Vs, the next best thing to bringing people to the stadium is getting them to the viewing party.

Well Done. I'll send you your pledge card :)

Challenge Accepted!

Why can't we go on the offensive...

21,000 seat stadium divided by 200+ (anyone know the real number) V's within game range = 104 friends each. So either we bump up the ratio per V or get more V's :)

I will personally commit to bringing 15 people to each game in Toronto (minimum) (

who's in?

Let's start it now. The "Plus One More" Pledge is now the Plus 15 Pledge For 2012*

*assuming games in Toronto or Montreal.

My girlfriend and I can manage one...in Toronto...?

Can I have a medal or something, anyway? :P

Sitting here on the frozen tundra, reading through this conversation, I know that it is highly unlikely that there will ever be a game within a 5 hr drive of my location. Additionally, I have to agree with Keegan that these games are simply not on the radar of the average sports fan in this country, especially in Saskadelphia. Regardless, here's to hoping that the current upswing of interest in soccer (MLS and CMNT) continues, that more people start tuning in, and that people involved in this discussion can look back and laugh. Perhaps in 5 or 10 years there will be multiple stadiums with grass fields and reasonable fan support so that the games can be spread around a bit. For now, as much as the 'centre of the universe' idea rubs me the wrong way a bit, I still think that the games are better off down East ... two in TO and one in Montreal as many have suggested.

Not that this is necessarily the thread for it, but last Thursday after my old man's game when we went for a consolation pint, we had the guys at The Chimney turn on the CWNT game and we all watched and enjoyed it. It was likely the first time that most of the guys on my team had watched a CNT game of any kind (they only vaguely knew who Christine Sinclair was, but they perked up when I told them Kaylyn Kyle was from S'toon) but they still got into the game. In Sept I will try to twist some arms to fly to TO so we can get our first cap but if it doesn't pan out, I will try to twist their arms to go to the pub or watch at my house instead. These are how these things get going and I appreciate the fact that others are doing the same.

I think a factor that is playing into the behind-the-scenes decision making by Hart & Co. is the mobilization of Canadian hardcore support in the "Corridor". 2008 showed the ability of the hardcore Corridor support (along with those who traveled, but obviously the vast majority were those living in the GTA) to not only materialize itself at games, but also to make it a point to bring people they knew and to grow the hype. When it comes to both Honduras and Panama, it's going to take this already developed expectation of the local soccer fans, the Support Local Football movement, to really push things over the edge, due to the support that Honduras and Panama are going to be able to materialize..

I think this is a fair view from someone who is probably geographically neutral! I don't think there can be too much argument about the organized support in Toronto and the ability to sell the games in the next round! Just imagine when we do qualify for the HEX and we will have 5 big games to play at home, maybe then we'll see Canada-US at BC Place on grass!

I think this is a fair view from someone who is probably geographically neutral! I don't think there can be too much argument about the organized support in Toronto and the ability to sell the games in the next round! Just imagine when we do qualify for the HEX and we will have 5 big games to play at home, maybe then we'll see Canada-US at BC Place on grass!

Hart et al will not get Hoilett or Jono to come to play on plastic in a town that their family is not in. That means Toronto , not Vancouver.

You simply have to understand that the artificial turf is extremely unpopular with the players, their agents and their home clubs. Want proof ? check the insurance rates for players contracts that the CSA has to pay. The insurance rates are higher for turf games because they have more injuries. this is not conjecture or opinion - it is fact.

Came across this funny excerpt on the wikipedia page for the US team... All too familiar eh? Nice to see we're not the only ones to go through this kind of stuff though.

"In the last game of the qualifying tournament, the U.S. needed only a draw against Costa Rica, whom the U.S. had beaten 3–0 in the Olympics the year before, in order to reach the final qualification group against Honduras and Canada. U.S. Soccer scheduled the game to be played at El Camino College in Torrance, California, an area with many Costa Rican expatriates, and marketed the game almost exclusively to the Costa Rican community, even providing Costa Rican folk dances as halftime entertainment.[15] A 35th minute goal by Evaristo Coronado won the match for Costa Rica and kept the United States from reaching its fourth World Cup finals."

Came across this funny excerpt on the wikipedia page for the US team... All too familiar eh? Nice to see we're not the only ones to go through this kind of stuff though.

"In the last game of the qualifying tournament, the U.S. needed only a draw against Costa Rica, whom the U.S. had beaten 3–0 in the Olympics the year before, in order to reach the final qualification group against Honduras and Canada. U.S. Soccer scheduled the game to be played at El Camino College in Torrance, California, an area with many Costa Rican expatriates, and marketed the game almost exclusively to the Costa Rican community, even providing Costa Rican folk dances as halftime entertainment.[15] A 35th minute goal by Evaristo Coronado won the match for Costa Rica and kept the United States from reaching its fourth World Cup finals."

Problem with this is that was about 25 years ago for the States... While for us it happened last cycle when the CSA was so nice to bring in a Jamaican singer for the anthem. Honestly, I'd bet they do it again too I just have no faith in our association even with changes and I bet we bring in some Honduran celebrity to sing the anthem when in reality it should be the most choppy recorded version with no words played over the speakers. Can we let Umbro Canada run our NT?

Hart et al will not get Hoilett or Jono to come to play on plastic in a town that their family is not in. That means Toronto , not Vancouver.

Quick, let's run our national team for the benefit of people who don't want to play for us? Who haven't shown up for games in Toronto before but will totally do it this time if we pathetically abase ourselves before them enough? 14 million people can **** off; Junior Hoilett's butt hurts?

Who says Torontonians are arrogant?

Quick, let's run our national team for the benefit of people who don't want to play for us? Who haven't shown up for games in Toronto before but will totally do it this time if we pathetically abase ourselves before them enough? 14 million people can **** off; Junior Hoilett's butt hurts?

Certainly not you.

Really? Again?

Funny that you should mention butt-hurt, I think I've located some.

I love how these threads go way off course. During the last WCQ I posted that the Mexico might be the last chance us western fans would get to see the national team play without a long air trip. I can see them all being played in Toronto and Montreal. Just too many factors working in their favour.

Archived