Please answer without calling me stupid.

So The CSL is currently D3 in Canada, but there is a new D3 league correct?

Second, the CSA wants the CSL to become nation wide right?

Will the Canadian clubs associated with the USL, ever cut ties to it, and if so would they be good enough to join the CSL?

Would the CSL and PCSL ever become the same league with an East and a West Conference?

What are ticket prices like to CSL games? Do CSL games ever get more then a thousand fans to a game?

Canadian clubs in the USL would have to be convinced that a Canadian-only option was as stable as the USL before they could be convinced to join it, and that joining it would be as good or better in terms of travel costs.

The PCSL is an oddball competition. In coastal B.C. (ie where 90% of the province lives), soccer runs Sept-May. The PCSL is a summer league. Players in the PCSL play for different teams in the VISL (Van Island), VMSL (Van Metro), and FVSL (Fraser Valley) over the winter. Some top players from the three BC leagues play in the PCSL, some don't. The only place that the PCSL is truly "above" the other local leagues is in the Okanagan, because they play soccer over the summer like the rest of Canada, not over the winter like most of B.C. The PCSL has no ambition to become a semi-pro league, and does not seem to care whether people pay to watch it or not. As a result, it has a different vision that the CSL.

To give you the Victoria perspective, I volunteered and supported Victoria United of the PCSL circa 2000 for a few years. I stopped doing so when I realised that it was a player-focussed league, not a fan-focussed league, and couldn't justify driving to Victoria from Duncan to watch games that nobody in Victoria even bothered to watch. In contrast, the Victoria Highlanders joined the PDL in a fairly decent amount of fanfare in 2009, and are clearly striving to be a fan-focussed organisation. People respond accordingly. Despite the fact that many of the original Highlanders players had played for Victoria United the summer before, and that United consistently fielded a top team in the PCSL, United continue draw crowds of essentially nothing beyond family members, while the Highlanders attract crowds of 1-2000, depending on the venue and date. A great goal is just more enjoyable when there are 1000 other people to share it with, and the appropriate crowd noise.

^this.

The only way PCSL moves up is if it's renamed/re-branded and/or some serious owners take-over and go on a media blitz, ultra's are created (North American kind, not eastern Euro kind!), and the league somehow became involved in a nationwide comp that received some sort of media/tv coverage and potential NCC involvement...

Archived