Hume leaving Preston

nolando

For his part, he says he doesn't think he is going anywhere,

Hume told the Evening Post: “I’ve read the speculation but I’ve said from day one that I came here to play football.

“My family have moved back to the region and I’m enjoying myself here when I’m playing.

“You can see that when I’m playing, because I always have a smile on my face regardless of how the game is going.

“I’m in no hurry to go anywhere.

“Obviously I can’t say a definite ‘no’ because I don’t know what is going to come up and what is going to come to the club.

“At the end of the day, it’s going to be down to them what they say yes or no to.

“But I have no reason to leave – I was playing well before the injury and scoring goals. I’m hoping to help us get out of this league.”

Hume will always be grateful to North End for reviving his career after a difficult time at Barnsley.

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/hume_in_no_hurry_to_leave_pne_1_4048614

He's not worth DP money though. I highly doubt he's making a lot of money in League 1 right now.

On top of that the fact that the quote says "My family moved back to the area..." means that it's probably less about money and more about what is the right fit. If he has young kids a move halfway around the world might not make sense to him, not every pro athlete is all about money.

He's not worth DP money though. I highly doubt he's making a lot of money in League 1 right now.

Hume is definitely making more than any non-DP on Toronto and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes over the DP limit. So if he's not worth DP money to MLS clubs why would he come back to MLS?

According to the article down below, the average League 1 player made £67,850 in 2006. Assume with inflation and the fact that Hume probably makes more than the average League 1 player, doubling that amount still wouldn't put him in DP range.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4898392.stm

Well I think you're looking in the wrong place.. for Hume's salary you should be looking at average Championship salary as it's safe to say he isn't an average League 1 player and his club isn't an average League 1 club

http://www.tribalfootball.com/average-premiership-salary-now-%C2%A311m-year-892241#

£275,000 according to that.. which is roughly $426 030 USD, I think it's safe to say he is around that and probably even higher. He was after all Barnsley's record transfer signing.

Hume is definitely making more than any non-DP on Toronto and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes over the DP limit. So if he's not worth DP money to MLS clubs why would he come back to MLS?

Better competition (MLS > League 1) and better chance to get a call up to national team. He shouldn't be making more money than players like DeRo in MLS. Also keep in mind he's getting paid more there because UK is expensive place to live. I am sure Hume can make up loss money in Canada with sponsorship deals he can get here since he’s Canadian national player unlike in UK.

On top of that the fact that the quote says "My family moved back to the area..." means that it's probably less about money and more about what is the right fit. If he has young kids a move halfway around the world might not make sense to him, not every pro athlete is all about money.

You got a point there.

It seems that Peter Ridsdale of Leeds, Cardiff, Barnsley and Plymouth 'fame' has been brought in to balance the books and the fans are expecting a clearout of their four or five top players. Reading about Hume this season, it seems that he's been dominant when fit. So it's likely he could be sold.

If Hume is Canadian on say Montreal, TFC or the Caps roster, why would he be classed as a DP?

Also, $400K + in League 1? If he is getting that then I reckon Hume's agent saw Presonts chairman for the fool he is.

League one averages are not much more than "Man in the Street" wages. A high averge Per annum for him is around $64,000 per anum

http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Country=United_Kingdom/Salary

If you speculate on a footballers wages as say, $3200 a week (2000 GBP) then thats $170K a year.

$400K seem really high.

Still if they are bringing Risdale in? Who knows what the Club had signed up to?

Hume is going to be on relatively big money because he was signed in the Championship, PNE wasn't expecting to go down last year, he's a proven commodity and PNE is a large team to be in League One. I have no inside info, but 3200 pounds per week is likely low for him. I'd guess he could be on 5000. In one of the forums I read he was making 7-8 per week at Barnsley. So a 30-40 percent pay cut from that would leave him at 4-5 at PNE.

The 70 000 grand average is not useful because not only is it from 2006, and includes the average wages of young trainees (the skews the numbers waaaaaay down), but also because of the above factors. Hume is making well-above most MLSers salary.

PNE are reportedly losoing 750 grand a month and wages for guys like Phil Brown, Hume, Mellor, Turner, Carlisle, Gray are likely a large part.

Edited to add: weekly wages speculated at 6000 (which still seems high to me)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2071022/Peter-Ridsdale-make-cutbacks-Preston-North-End.html#ixzz1fqMijeud

There are some big earners in League One so it wouldn't surprise me if he was on 3-4 Grand a week (Pounds Sterling) especially for sides that have just come down from the Championship. In fact, Charlton still had one or two players on Premier League wages when we (sorry, they) fell through the trap door a couple of years ago. I think one of the guys might have been on close to 10,000 a week and he had to be given a free transfer to get his wages off the books.

If Hume is Canadian on say Montreal, TFC or the Caps roster, why would he be classed as a DP?

Also, $400K + in League 1? If he is getting that then I reckon Hume's agent saw Presonts chairman for the fool he is.

League one averages are not much more than "Man in the Street" wages. A high averge Per annum for him is around $64,000 per anum

http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Country=United_Kingdom/Salary

If you speculate on a footballers wages as say, $3200 a week (2000 GBP) then thats $170K a year.

$400K seem really high.

Still if they are bringing Risdale in? Who knows what the Club had signed up to?

Hume was one of the best players in the Championship from December onwards last seasons, he isn't an average League 1 player and I'd argue that he's definitely an above average Championship player.

Archived