Ottawa NASL Logo & Jersey Concept

dmont

And here I thought it was ATHLETIC football Club (Sunderland)...I stand corrected!

http://www.google.ca/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=association+football+club+sunderland

I would worry about It.

Intresting sunderland started life 1n 1879; 131 years ago as Sunderland and District Teachers, but Im not sure if AFC was officially in their "operating title"

Besides there is Charlton Athletic Football club to consider .:confused:

Speaking of the word Soccer...

Let wiki be your freind...

"The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association"

Apparently there is an epocraphal tale regarding some "public school house team captain" who was in converstion with "fellow boys". When he was ask about his movements the following day, he responded with the line, "Ho, i'll be coming down for brekka (breakfast) then I'll go an lekka (play?) some Socca (soccer)

SPIFFING!

It was all "very Harry Potteresque" back in those days.:eek:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However,

When you think about it ThiKu, has a point.

The Football Association invented a game* they decided to call Association Football. Typical of the way the English played with the Language in the mid Victorian era. Check out the literature of the time: Edward Lear for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Lear

If similar excenticity existed in The Dominion, at that time then Sidney Crosby and the boys may well be sliding around on the Ice playing in the National McGill League.

* By invented , I'm refering to the codifining of the original 17 rules (in a Pubic House in Barnes in 1863) by which Association Football is played. A version called the "Sheffield Rules" played at Sheffield FC, predate the FA cica 1857.

At a similar time to a Mr Willis In Victoria Australia, penning the code for Australia Rules Football.- go figure

Fascinating thread digression on the history of the name "Association Football". I remember reading about this a while ago. While I may be off on a few details, here is what I remember:

1 - In the old days (pre-1800's) games played on foot (by commoners) were called "Football", to differentiate from games played on horse (by the nobility).

2 - Generally, there were two variations of these (football) games played on foot -- one carrying game (carrying and hand-passing the ball) and one kicking game.

3 - In the early-mid 1800's, various public schools (what we call private schools) and universities codified the rules of both versions. The carrying game became "Rugby Football" and the kicking game became "Association Football".

4 - In the late 1800's (Victorian Era), Oxford went through a fad of nicknaming various entities, by shortening the names and ending them and an "-er" suffix. Thus, Rugby Football became colloquially known as "Rugger" and Association Football was nicknamed "Soccer".

5 - It was during these Victorian Times that both versions of the game (and their colloquial nicknames) were introduced to the colonies (New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Canada and -- indirectly -- the USA).

6 - Over time, the Oxford nicknames fell out of favour and were no longer used in England. However, in the colonies, slower moving trends and a desire to keep a bond to the mother country, the old Oxford nicknames stuck around much longer.

7 - In England and the rest of Europe (with the possible exception of Ireland), the more "gentlemanly" version of Association Football became the dominant game and thus the term "football" used on its own came to denote the kicking (Association Football) version. The carrying game thus became shortened to just "Rugby".

8 - In the colonies however (possibly due to the hardships of pioneering new lands), the more "physical" version of Rugby Football became the dominant game and thus the term "football" used on its own came to denote the carrying (Rugby) version. The kicking game then continued to be known by its old Oxford nickname of "Soccer".

9 - Despite the various names used, the codes for Association Football/Soccer are generally consistent around the globe.

10 - However, the codes for Rugby Football/Rugby have been drastically revised over time and in different regions. In England, the Rugby codes split in the schism of 1895, as (the poorer) North developed professional leagues (with rules to promote a faster/more entertaining game) under the banner "Rugby League", while the (richer) South separated to maintain the original amateur game under the banner "Rugby Union". In New Zealand and South Africa, the original rugby version is still the most common game and the "All-Blacks" and "Springboks" are top teams in the game. In Australia, both the original rugby version and a local "Australian Rules Football" version are popular. In North America, rugby developed into gridiron football. McGill and Harvard were the two first institutions to organize and develop such games. The Canadian game of Football is played on the same field size as rugby, with 12-men (as opposed to 15 in rugby). Since Harvard's athletic field was located in a tight area that couldn't accommodate the rugby field size, US Football developed based on the smaller field available at the Ivy League school. The number of players was also reduced to 11-men, partly to compensate for the smaller field and partly as Americans developed a taste for higher-scoring/more open games. The CFL was originally a rugby league and the Grey Cup was awarded to the rugby champion, until the codes of the game evolved into the gridiron game and league we know today.

Cheers!

edit: Item 10 (Rugby variants) corrected per Alberta White's post below.

it doesn't look like there's anything standing in the way of the CFL and NASL starting play in Ottawa in 2014.

Outside of the league(NASL) not being there. There is talk that Traffic Sports, who is basically propping up the NASL, is going to stop funding their four teams since they haven't been able to find other investors for them. The NASL is a money pit for them. 2012 could be the last year of the league. Then what does OSEG do? Join USL-Pro? Hold off and see what emerges? Plan and hope for a Canadian D2? Hope MLS forms a MLS2? There will be a lot of lawsuits flying.

Fascinating thread digression on the history of the name "Association Football". I remember reading about this a while ago. While I may be off on a few details, here is what I remember:

1 - In the old days (pre-1800's) games played on foot (by commoners) were called "Football", to differentiate from games played on horse (by the nobility).

2 - Generally, there were two variations of these (football) games played on foot -- one carrying game (carrying and hand-passing the ball) and one kicking game.

3 - In the early-mid 1800's, various public schools (what we call private schools) and universities codified the rules of both versions. The carrying game became "Rugby Football" and the kicking game became "Association Football".

4 - In the late 1800's (Victorian Era), Oxford went through a fad of nicknaming various entities, by shortening the names and ending them and an "-er" suffix. Thus, Rugby Football became colloquially known as "Rugger" and Association Football was nicknamed "Soccer".

5 - It was during these Victorian Times that both versions of the game (and their colloquial nicknames) were introduced to the colonies (New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Canada and -- indirectly -- the USA).

6 - Over time, the Oxford nicknames fell out of favour and were no longer used in England. However, in the colonies, slower moving trends and a desire to keep a bond to the mother country, the old Oxford nicknames stuck around much longer.

7 - In England and the rest of Europe (with the possible exception of Ireland), the more "gentlemanly" version of Association Football became the dominant game and thus the term "football" used on its own came to denote the kicking (Association Football) version. The carrying game thus became shortened to just "Rugby".

8 - In the colonies however (possibly due to the hardships of pioneering new lands), the more "physical" version of Rugby Football became the dominant game and thus the term "football" used on its own came to denote the carrying (Rugby) version. The kicking game then continued to be known by its old Oxford nickname of "Soccer".

9 - Despite the various names used, the codes for Association Football/Soccer are generally consistent around the globe.

10 - However, the codes for Rugby Football/Rugby have been drastically revised over time and in different regions. In England, the Rugby codes split in the schism of 1895, as (the poorer) North developed professional leagues (with rules to promote a faster/more entertaining game) under the banner "Rugby Union", while the (richer) South separated to maintain the original amateur game under the banner "Rugby League". In New Zealand and South Africa, the original rugby version is still the most common game and the "All-Blacks" and "Springboks" are top teams in the game. In Australia, both the original rugby version and a local "Australian Rules Football" version are popular. In North America, rugby developed into gridiron football. McGill and Harvard were the two first institutions to organize and develop such games. The Canadian game of Football is played on the same field size as rugby, with 12-men (as opposed to 15 in rugby). Since Harvard's athletic field was located in a tight area that couldn't accommodate the rugby field size, US Football developed based on the smaller field available at the Ivy League school. The number of players was also reduced to 11-men, partly to compensate for the smaller field and partly as Americans developed a taste for higher-scoring/more open games. The CFL was originally a rugby league and the Grey Cup was awarded to the rugby champion, until the codes of the game evolved into the gridiron game and league we know today.

Cheers!

Nice piece David,

One error though,

Rugby League is the game from the poorer North (13 players and holds like downs)- Profesional from day one as the recovertime cost money to the manual working class lads who could not afford the time off work to nurse injuries.

Rugby Union is the game from the affluent South (15 players and currently in world cup mode) Easier to deal it a limp, from a twisted ankle, if your job involved riding an office desk.

Intrestingly wales still retained its union roots above those of the Working class League.

I was persuaded that the Quebecers would feel left out, and that a less-British theme might draw them in. Also, "Royal Ottawa" being the name of a local mental institution turned me off of it. I thought "Intrepid" was a nice throw-back to Ottawa's soccer history.

An improvement?

I'm a big fan of the "Intrepid FC" name for Ottawa. I'd go for traditional vertical red and black stripes on the jersey, white shorts. Red, black and white ARE Ottawa's sporting colours, so I'd use them. Leave gold trim for the Senators, since you want to be a bit different from other city sports teams.

As to logo, with the name "Intrepid" I'd use paddling couriers-de-bois from the fur trade in a canoe as my insignia.

• 1 month later...

An update:

ottawa_intrepid.jpg

I was persuaded that the Quebecers would feel left out, and that a less-British theme might draw them in. Also, "Royal Ottawa" being the name of a local mental institution turned me off of it. I thought "Intrepid" was a nice throw-back to Ottawa's soccer history.

An improvement?

These are epic! Hands down, the best soccer kit design I have ever seen. Period.

I dont know how valid my intuition judgments are concerning english names, as I grew up learning Montreal English, but Intrepid Ottawa SC would sound better to me.

it separates it from the played out fashion of teams that use mass nouns as name(ex: Impact de Montreal FC), and becomes a bit more respectable(ex: Impact Montreal FC)

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff Hunt, president of the NASL and CFL teams coming to Ottawa, gives an update:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/12/25/ottawas-cfl-team-on-track-for-2014

One highlight:

How will you come up with the name?

“We’re certainly going to get a lot of fan engagement, and there may be a ‘name the team’ contest, but then we would work with an agency to take that brand and make a jersey, a logo, an image. It’s virtually for certain we’ll retain the colours, the red black and white, as will the soccer team. Those are Ottawa colours. They can’t take our colours away. And I think it still gives you that kind of link to the past

I seriously doubt this is any indication of the logo but the NASL main page (NASL.com) has added a stylized maple leaf with Ottawa in anticipatiion of the team joining the league. Clicking on the icon just takes you pack to the NASL page so far.

This is interesting, but I agree. Not looking into it too much as of yet.

Its refreshing to hear them sticking with the red/black/white city colours. Hopefully the logo and kit design will also reflect the city's history. If done right, they can break the generic habit that other Canadian clubs seem to have set.

This is interesting, but I agree. Not looking into it too much as of yet.

Its refreshing to hear them sticking with the red/black/white city colours. Hopefully the logo and kit design will also reflect the city's history. If done right, they can break the generic habit that other Canadian clubs seem to have set.

Classic Sunderland/ Southampton Style Red White stripe with Black shorts?

whats so wrong with that?

My hope is that Ottawa goes with more of a black emphasis instead of the red and white of TFC. Especially with the clubs being closer geographically, it will differentiate them nicely.

I would almost guarantee that to be the case. The Renegades/Roughriders typically had black as their primary colour. The Sens over the last couple years have featured more an more black. And the 67s have had black pants for as long as I can remember.

Archived