Ottawa NASL Logo & Jersey Concept

dmont

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 67's are the OHL hockey team. Their owner, Jeff Hunt, is among the CFL/NASL/Lansdowne ownership group.

Also among the group are John Pugh, who owns the current Ottawa Fury, and Bill Shenkman who owns part of Millwall (yes, that Millwall).

First of all the designs are great and I don't wanna take anything away from that.

But I gotta...............

Hey adding Royal back to the forces. Did it ever go away? Look we all love the Queen, she's a great old lady that a certain generation feel great attachment. Will it continue for the next Monarch...who knows.

Will the royals be limited to being the dog and pony show of this summers Royal visit in the future?

I have no problem keeping the royals around.

Really, what does it cost us.

Two GG residences, 10 Lt Governors residences and 11 royal representatives. Do we replace them with elected representatives that might think they were elected to do something other than cutting ribbons?

Back to the topic.

i don't care what the team calls itself. It's just a name.

The Rideau Canals or Beaver Tails/Castor.

Follow current trend and find a Euro name...FC, United, Dynamo, Real,

I just think that Royals, Monarchs, Kings is already over used is all.

Yes, the (once again) Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Navy, and Royal Canadian Air Force have been Land Force Command, Maritime Command, and Air Command since 1968. Most of the rest of your "examples" aren't military units.

Your comments are similar to many critics of the monarchy in Canada, who don't seem to understand that how Canada and Canadian instituions use our royalty and monarchy is unique to us. In Canada "the Crown" is something different than it is in the UK, and people should learn that, rather than just seeing it as something British.

Yes, the (once again) Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Navy, and Royal Canadian Air Force have been Land Force Command, Maritime Command, and Air Command since 1968. Most of the rest of your "examples" aren't military units.

Your comments are similar to many critics of the monarchy in Canada, who don't seem to understand that how Canada and Canadian instituions use our royalty and monarchy is unique to us. In Canada "the Crown" is something different than it is in the UK, and people should learn that, rather than just seeing it as something British.

I think many People are thrown by the Fact that the Queen of Canada Lives in a Big House in England. Spending more time here would help, but as there are another 16 Nations to which she is the consitutional head, She would hve to fit revolving doors on whichever Palace she called "Home"

I'm actually not that much of a monachist myself however I find that the Republican debate always ends up with a model that seeks to turn a largley Ceramonial position into a political/presidential one.

An, another 'thing (as Eoin Coulfer would put it)...above all else ....She's ancestrally German!

Guest Brethers

Please make it a good name, like Ottawa FC or City of Ottawa FC etc. etc. The badge and kit designed looks sexual by the way, top marks mate.

She's the Queen of Britain and its commonwealth. She's Canada's Queen, Scotland's Queen, England's Queen, India's Queen and so on. She's German but speaks as well as any toff you'll meet :P

Guest Enceladus09

I know a way you can call yourselves Royal without the issue of the Monarchy here in Canada. May I suggest Real Ottawa? Oh wait, that is already taken by a long standing club with a proud history with the Spanish crown... in Salt Lake City...

Guest Enceladus09

I didn't forget it. It was very loud in my head. Can't everyone hear that? Uh-oh... :P

I really just hope to point out how silly the name game is, especially in soccer where the name can be so minimal and mean so much. Take my hometown for example. FC Edmonton is different from Edmonton FC and everyone in the soccer comunity here knows why (*shudder*). Just pick something simple and create a history and story behind it. On the other hand you could call yourselves the killer chipmunks and you still wouldn't have the worst name in the NASL as long as Carolina has a club.

I didn't forget it. It was very loud in my head. Can't everyone hear that? Uh-oh... :P

I really just hope to point out how silly the name game is, especially in soccer where the name can be so minimal and mean so much. Take my hometown for example. FC Edmonton is different from Edmonton FC and everyone in the soccer comunity here knows why (*shudder*). Just pick something simple and create a history and story behind it. On the other hand you could call yourselves the killer chipmunks and you still wouldn't have the worst name in the NASL as long as Carolina has a club.

like the Edmonton Jack Rabbits!

....Oh yes...nearly forgot...b-boom tish!:D

• 1 month later...

An update:

ottawa_intrepid.jpg

I was persuaded that the Quebecers would feel left out, and that a less-British theme might draw them in. Also, "Royal Ottawa" being the name of a local mental institution turned me off of it. I thought "Intrepid" was a nice throw-back to Ottawa's soccer history.

An improvement?

As far as I know, it's very much alive.

The facts are: Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, who own the OHL Ottawa 67's as well as a conditional CFL franchise, have been awarded an expansion franchise in the North American Soccer League, to begin play in 2014.

There are two lawsuits against the stadium development plan that is necessary to get these teams off the ground. They are both by small groups from the neighbourhood. One judge has already decided in OSEG's favour, and the appelants are appealing the decision even though the judge didn't leave much room for an appeal. One of the OSEG stakeholder was quoted in the Ottawa Sun stating that he doubted a court would even hear the appeal since the Superior Court justice left practically zero grounds. The other lawsuit is very strange, it's by a guy in the neighbourhood (not a lawyer) who's representing himself and his "Lansdowne Park Conservancy", which claims it is able to deliver everything that OSEG can deliver (it really can't) and is suing the city because he thinks his plan didn't get enough consideration.

No one in OSEG or Ottawa City Council thinks these two lawsuits are a threat (but hopefully their lawyers are taking it seriously). Since these are the final impediments, then *knock on wood* it doesn't look like there's anything standing in the way of the CFL and NASL starting play in Ottawa in 2014.

An update:

ottawa_intrepid.jpg

I was persuaded that the Quebecers would feel left out, and that a less-British theme might draw them in. Also, "Royal Ottawa" being the name of a local mental institution turned me off of it. I thought "Intrepid" was a nice throw-back to Ottawa's soccer history.

An improvement?

The jerseys are outstanding but I'd like a more conservative name. Between Royal Ottawa and Ottawa Intrepid SC, I prefer the first but as noticed, many people don't like the word Royal. I'd like to see something which shows the city's name only, like Toronto and Edmonton but avoiding "FC". SC Ottawa (Sporting Club), CA Ottawa (Club Association) or AC Ottawa (Athletic Club) are some names that would be fine by me.

Also, if the logo is more or less related to some parts of Arms of Canada (a logo similar to the shield for example), maybe it could help and build a fan base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Canada

The jerseys are outstanding but I'd like a more conservative name. Between Royal Ottawa and Ottawa Intrepid SC, I prefer the first but as noticed, many people don't like the word Royal. I'd like to see something which shows the city's name only, like Toronto and Edmonton but avoiding "FC". SC Ottawa (Sporting Club), CA Ottawa (Club Association) or AC Ottawa (Athletic Club) are some names that would be fine by me.

Also, if the logo is more or less related to some parts of Arms of Canada (a logo similar to the shield for example), maybe it could help and build a fan base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Canada

I am 'oft of the opinion that AFC as in "AFC Ottawa" trips of the Tounge nicely.

AFC as in Association Football Club, evokes a 'tradional flavour' and differential from say CFUC Ottawa (Canadian Football Union Club).

Plus Its a little unusual for North America and could well have a promotional Hook?

As in, "So who put the 'A' into Ottawa then?"

Works on so many levels

Erm...sorry, but I've never heard of the 'A' in AFC ever standing for Association. After all, calling yourself Association Football Club is basically calling yourself Soccer Soccer Club....since, you know, Soccer came from the word Association and Football is of course....soccer.

AFC Ottawa would be a great name, but I suspect it'll just be Ottawa City SC.

Ottawa and Hamilton both joining NASL would be massive (and, haha, yet another step toward potential D2 Canada) - Edmonton, Ottawa, Hamilton +5!)

edit: I don't know why it is posting as "Association Association" but my post is just ONE Association...weird glitch on my PC maybe.

Erm...sorry, but I've never heard of the 'A' in AFC ever standing for Association. After all, calling yourself Association Football Club is basically calling yourself Soccer Soccer Club....since, you know, Soccer came from the word Association and Football is of course....soccer.

Except it isn't. It's a giant misconception. The part that confuses people the most and hardly any are aware of is that the full name of the sport is Association Football. The singular word "Football" is not exclusive to the code played with the feet. The origin of the word "football" is the fact the game is played on foot as opposed to on horseback with several different codes of football under the umbrella (Rugby Football, Association Football). AFC for soccer teams is no different than RFC, RUFC, or RLFC for rugby teams. There are even rugby clubs without the rugby adjective that are simply referred to as football clubs like Hull FC which is a rugby league club while the association football club in town is Hull City AFC. Towns like Hull are a microcosm of why the only countries in the world that call it soccer are the ones where another football code enjoys greater popularity (South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland etc).

There is a current English Premier League team that goes exactly by Association Football Club for AFC.

:)

It should also be noted that the governing body of soccer the world over, FIFA, stands for Fédération Internationale de Football Association.

This translates into English as the International Federation of Association Football.

Archived