WCQ Articles - 1st Round

derofan

Well he isn't eligible for us but I can't see that move helping his dutch aspirations really, Rubin will compete in the 2nd qualifying round for the Champions League, I believe they will more than likely be in the Europa league.

Is the article saying he's signed a contract or that they've just had a bid accepted? I'll be really surprised if he signs in Russia

The article doesn't say anything about a contract, just that Mallorca accepted Kazan's offer of 8.5M after turning down Villareal's bid for 6.3M.

Obviously there would be some steps required to get JDG2 into the Canadian fold, but I think moving to Russia would harm the slim chance of him getting a Dutch call-up. The league is good, undeniably, but suffers from old prejudices and also a bit of a case of out of sight/out of mind.

The article doesn't say anything about a contract, just that Mallorca accepted Kazan's offer of 8.5M after turning down Villareal's bid for 6.3M.

Obviously there would be some steps required to get JDG2 into the Canadian fold, but I think moving to Russia would harm the slim chance of him getting a Dutch call-up. The league is good, undeniably, but suffers from old prejudices and also a bit of a case of out of sight/out of mind.

I agree. Russian teams certainly have shown willingness to spend cash to bring high level talent but ultimately, it's a 2nd tier league with lesser media exposure and competition.

If he somehow changes his mind and willing to suit up for Canada, we won't hesitate to take him but the fact that he gave up his Canadian passport means it may take years to get it back... just look at Matt Bonner. The man wants to play for us but still hasn't got it after 4 years I believe.

^Matt Bonner wasn't born in Canada. JDG2 was. I'm assuming the process is shorter then we may thing. He's parents live here.

How does Hoilett get a Jamaican passport? He wasn't born there and doesn't live there? Isn't it just a Fifa rule that he could play for Jamaica? But to play for England as he has no family ties, he needs citizenship to qualify?

anyone want to elaborate?

Speaking of Jono, here is a breaking news. Villarreal was thought to be the front runner but looks like Russian Premier side, Ruben Kazan snagged him for 8.5M EUR.

http://www.sportdome.nl/Nieuws/36716--Mallorca-accepteert-miljoenenbod-Rubin-Kazan-op-De-Guzman-.html

What is this mean for his national team prospects? Neither here nor there?

yesterday he rejected an offer from Rubin, they offered him 3m EUR per annum.

It is said that he's waiting for a contract offer from Villarreal to accept it.

Despite his team being the clear-cut favorites to win Group D of CONCACAF’s 2014 World Cup qualification second round, Canada coach Stephen Hart is taking no chances.

Hart called up a squad filled with veteran presence for Canada’s first two matches: a home game vs. St. Lucia on Sept. 2 followed by an away match at Puerto Rico four days later. He hopes that the players — none of whom are under 23 years of age — will be able to draw on their relative experience to handle the at-times unpredictable nature of competitive soccer in the region.

“The main thing about the opponents is how we approach the away games,” Hart told reporters via teleconference call on Wednesday afternoon. “From all accounts, the fields are not the best, and that’s the most important thing. It could become an equalizer, in that respect.”

Full article: Canada taking no chances vs. WCup quals opposition

• 2 weeks later...
Despite winning their opening two matches by rather comfortable margins, Canada still look to use their remaining early World Cup qualifiers as learning experiences.

The Canadians made it look easy on the scoreboard in wins against St. Lucia (4-1) and Puerto Rico (3-0) over the past week, but there were still many areas to improve upon, said coach Stephen Hart.

“We’re getting to play a fair amount of games, and more importantly in environments that are very difficult,” Hart told reporters in a teleconference on Thursday.

Learning to cope with the environmental crapshoot often present in CONCACAF away matches is one of the biggest things Hart feels his players can take away from a round of games in which Canada are the overwhelming favorites.

“The night before [Canada played Puerto Rico in Bayamón], we trained only 45 minutes on a wet pitch and with a different ball that we’ve never played with,” Hart explained. “The next day, the pitch was like concrete and the ball was all over the place. That’s a huge sort of learning [experience] for players coming from environments where the pitch is always well watered and the ball moves at a certain speed and consistency.”

Full article: Canada learning from big World Cup qualifying victories

Archived