WCQ Articles - 1st Round

derofan

Hey Boys,

What are your thoughts on this article on TSN. If hart thinks Puerto Rico is tough wait until we get to the next stage IF we get there given our goal scoring drought. Lets be honest if he thinks like this then how are we ever to qualify next group Honduras and Cuba are waiting things wont get any easier. We need to score the rest will come. So my quest to you all is what are our chances of getting to the next round??

COACH: PUERTO RICO MAY BE CANADA'S TOUGHEST WORLD CUP HURDLE

National soccer team coach Stephen Hart says Puerto Rico may be the most difficult team Canada will face in the first round of qualifying games for the 2014 World Cup.

Hart says Puerto Rico is the team that has played together longest and has proven to be tough to beat in the past.

The coach also says it's a good idea that Canada plays all three of its home qualifying games at Toronto's BMO Field. He says playing in one venue makes travel easier and allows the players to become familiar with the pitch.

Besides Puerto Rico, Canada will play St. Lucia and St. Kitts and Nevis in the qualifying round.

The winner of the group advances to the third round of World Cup qualifying in CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Hart says winning at home will be important for Canada, because the quality of the fields and other conditions can make road games challenging.

What a weak article, not even a quote

You misread it though, he said Puerto Rico may be our toughest 1st round opponent a.k.a the best other team in our current group. I think it's good that he's being cautious. I also like the point about playing at BMO and getting used to the pitch, that can be huge going forward.. last WCQ match at BMO vs. Jamaica some of the players were playing their first match there not exactly a home field advantage.

I've changed the thread name to reflect all articles about this round (Technically round 2 I suppose). Hope you don't mind

Molinaro article from CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/08/04/sp-hutchinson.html

"If Canada is to navigate its way through the upcoming slate of World Cup qualifying matches it will likely have to do so without Atiba Hutchinson.

The star midfielder recently underwent surgery after injuring his knee while representing Canada at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in June. Hutchinson, who plays professionally for PSV Eindhoven, is still recovering from the surgery and will miss the start of the Dutch league season, which kicks off Friday.

Canadian national team coach Stephen Hart expects Hutchinson, a 28-year-old native of Brampton, Ont., won't be able to participate in the first three qualifying matches for the 2014 World Cup. Canada will play six second-round games between September and November, with its first match coming on Sept. 2, when it hosts St. Lucia in Toronto.

"More than likely, [Atiba] would not be available," Hart told reporters during a Thursday conference call. "He had to have some minor surgery. He's started back training very slowly on an individual basis, so that's a touch-and-go issue."

Hart said he hopes to have Hutchinson, an influential midfielder who was voted Canadian player of the year in 2010, back in time for the later qualifying matches.

"It's a matter of him getting back to his best and not being in a situation where he's not mentally ready to go into something like this," Hart explained. "It'll be a on a match-by-match basis, and I will keep in contact with him on that."

Hart also confirmed that Hertha Berlin forward Rob Friend "has a slight injury and that's being monitored."

The injury news isn't all bad for Hart, though.

D. C. United defender Dejan Jakovic recently returned to action for the Major League Soccer club after suffering a serious hamstring injury in an exhibition match against Ecuador just days before the start of the Gold Cup.

Also, midfielder Patrice Bernier, who plays for Danish outfit FC Nordsjælland, has been cleared to play by doctors after a lengthy layoff with a leg injury. Hart said match fitness continues to be a problem for Bernier, as he hasn't played since May.

"I spoke to him last night. He's feeling quite good but then again he hasn't played any matches," Hart stated.

As for Paul Stalteri, the door hasn't been closed.

Stalteri has been a mainstay with the Canadian national team ever since making his debut in 1997, and he is Canada's all-time leader in appearances with 84.

But the 33-year-old defender hasn't played for Canada since last October. Furthermore, he is not under contract with any pro club, and underwent arthroscopic surgery. He is currently undergoing physiotherapy to regain his full fitness.

"Paul has to establish himself with a club and get back on track. He had surgery in [the summer] and even now he would not be ready [to play]. … If he gets playing and he's playing well, he's eligible for selection," Hart said.

Besides St. Lucia, Canada will play Puerto Rico and St. Kitts and Nevis between September and November. The winner of the round-robin group moves on to the third round of World Cup qualifying for CONCACAF, the soccer confederation that covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

In the latest FIFA world rankings published last week, Canada dropped 22 places to No. 105, its lowest position since FIFA introduced the rankings in 1993.

Canada is the highest ranked nation in its second-round group, ahead of St. Kitts and Nevis (No. 122), Puerto Rico (No. 141) and St. Lucia (No. 183).

Canada has qualified for the World Cup once, in 1986 in Mexico, when it bowed out in the first round after losing all three of its games and failing to score a single goal.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/08/04/sp-hutchinson.html#ixzz1U6p9Ortg

"

Canada looking to "get business done" in WC qualifying

Canucks are clear favorites to get through early group stage

It’s very rare that Canada can go into a series of games and be considered the clear favorites, but that’s exactly the case for Group D in CONCACAF’s second round of World Cup qualification.

The Canadians headline a group featuring island nations St Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, and Puerto Rico, with the winner advancing to next year’s third round. Canada coach Stephen Hart downplayed his side’s status as the favorite against the three Caribbean teams, preferring to keep the focus on the task at hand.

“In our preparation and in our discussions with the players, there’s no such thing as underdog teams,” Hart told reporters via teleconference on Thursday. “It’s more or less, ‘Let’s get the business done and make it as difficult as possible for the opposition.’”

To that end, the Canadian Soccer Association has scheduled all three second-round home matches at Toronto’s BMO Field, an unprecedented decision that Hart says makes the most sense for his players.

Read more: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/04/canada-looking-get-business-done-wc-qualifying

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the douche who would support Portugal over Canada?

I think you are thinking of Brendan Dunlop.

But regardless I would never say to someone to give up supporting the team of the country someone was born in etc. All I ask is that if you are living in Canada, support Canada. If that is against every country except the one you were born in I have no problem with that. Just get behind the boys anyway you can.

I think the best part about all of these articles/podcasts is that the media is talking about the qualifiers, even though it's still early days...more exposure is certainly a step in the right direction...we saw the same thing with the Women's World Cup - despite Canada's poor performance, TV numbers were way up, and people were paying attention...with 3 teams (soon) in MLS, more fans will hopefully be drawn in. However, nothing brings folks to the park better than winning, and if Canada can make a run to the hex, or, God willing, to the World Cup, we should see more and more supporters. In terms of support, Canada is still light years behind the rest of the world, but baby steps, folks.

Also, LOVED Seixeiro's rant, even though he is a Portugal supporter first, and Canada second...and he does say he's buying tickets, so that counts, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the douche who would support Portugal over Canada?

As Sam mentioned, that was Brendan Dunlop who said something to that effect on a Footy Show Podcast. All the other guys including Sid jumped all over him. Sid's been a fairly big supporter of most things Canadian on the podcast, from what I can remember.

Not exactly Canadian news, but I didn't think this deserved its own thread. This is what happens when a nation's FA takes home field advantage seriously. CSA pay attention!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0609/1224298639911.html

That's a really cool article, and the pitch looks like it's in a very ominous and intimidating area in the picture...maybe we should start holding our matches up in some tiny village in the Yukon, haha

Richard Starnes article:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Beautiful+Game+Beware+underdogs+Canadian+coach+Hart+warns+ahead+FIFA+qualifying+round/5213184/story.html

Interesting quote:

"Don’t count on Julian de Guzman’s brother Jonathan giving up on his dream of playing for the Netherlands. Hart says it is a complex situation because Jonathan “gave up his passport to be a member of another country”. That would set up a good many complications."

That's a really cool article, and the pitch looks like it's in a very ominous and intimidating area in the picture...maybe we should start holding our matches up in some tiny village in the Yukon, haha

it was a balmy 3 degrees when i woke up this morning here in whitehorse. the territory gets brisk by the time october and november roll around ; )

Richard Starnes article:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Beautiful+Game+Beware+underdogs+Canadian+coach+Hart+warns+ahead+FIFA+qualifying+round/5213184/story.html

Interesting quote:

"Don’t count on Julian de Guzman’s brother Jonathan giving up on his dream of playing for the Netherlands. Hart says it is a complex situation because Jonathan “gave up his passport to be a member of another country”. That would set up a good many complications."

Speaking of Jono, here is a breaking news. Villarreal was thought to be the front runner but looks like Russian Premier side, Ruben Kazan snagged him for 8.5M EUR.

http://www.sportdome.nl/Nieuws/36716--Mallorca-accepteert-miljoenenbod-Rubin-Kazan-op-De-Guzman-.html

What is this mean for his national team prospects? Neither here nor there?

Speaking of Jono, here is a breaking news. Villarreal was thought to be the front runner but looks like Russian Premier side, Ruben Kazan snagged him for 8.5M EUR.

http://www.sportdome.nl/Nieuws/36716--Mallorca-accepteert-miljoenenbod-Rubin-Kazan-op-De-Guzman-.html

What is this mean for his national team prospects? Neither here nor there?

Well he isn't eligible for us but I can't see that move helping his dutch aspirations really, Rubin will compete in the 2nd qualifying round for the Champions League, I believe they will more than likely be in the Europa league.

Is the article saying he's signed a contract or that they've just had a bid accepted? I'll be really surprised if he signs in Russia

I wouldn't be - $$$$$ talks, and I have a feeling he is the type of guy to listen more to his wallet than his heart.

I can see that too but at the same time it's not as if a club like Villareal is going to be paying peanuts, not to mention who knows if you'll even get a paycheck playing in Russia. Also the fact that the De Guzman brothers have a wank over Spain anytime they get the chance leads me to believe it's too soon and he'll stay in Spain. But then again holding out to play for the Netherlands over your country that you "rep" doesn't make much sense either.

Archived