The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

24 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The sad part is that we never got Jnr when he was at his best playing for Blackburn. 

And when he first transferred to QPR, Marc Bircham was on the Rangers staff and told me he was "in his ear" about representing Canada immediately when he joined, sadly he waited quite a while to commit and by then he had dealt with several career changing injuries! You are correct, we never had him in his prime although he has made some good contributions to the team!

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wonder where he will end up next (post injury recovery)

Depends on wage demands, I would guess, but I'd think other Scottish teams would be looking at him. He certainly picked it up towards the end of the season.

48 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I really like Hoilett and he’s a very likeable individual.  He’s been an excellent servant for the CNMT I hope he still might have a role with the team.  

Agree, just wish he committed to us during the 2014 WCQ at his prime when there were rumours that he & Jono were going to play for Canada. The squad was just missing that high level attacking skill. Safe to say we would have got a goal vs Honduras at home to seal our place in the hex at the very least.

On 8/5/2024 at 4:58 PM, Kadenge said:

Agree, just wish he committed to us during the 2014 WCQ at his prime when there were rumours that he & Jono were going to play for Canada. The squad was just missing that high level attacking skill. Safe to say we would have got a goal vs Honduras at home to seal our place in the hex at the very least.

Probably why I don't feel the same sense of positivity about him as others do.  I also felt his time in Vancouver was more as a traIning stint to keep him in the NT picture and then move to a more desired club situation where he really wanted to be.  Call me cynical...whatever.

However, once he got with the program, I did appreciate the  skillset he brought.  Most recently, I see/saw him as our version Quaresma off the bench, a crafty veteran winger who could make things happen on the attack in the latter stages of a match.

He turned a good half season at Aberdeen into a new deal at Hibs, so I hope he has a good run there.

Edited by BearcatSA

I don't resent him for his delay in joining the national team, but it's a shame I didn't get a chance to cheer him on in those days in the Premier League. For me the sensible thing to do was to hope his teams relegate and take some delight in that. And in those days I was still watching the Premier League every weekend.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I don't resent him for his delay in joining the national team, but it's a shame I didn't get a chance to cheer him on in those days in the Premier League. For me the sensible thing to do was to hope his teams relegate and take some delight in that. And in those days I was still watching the Premier League every weekend.

I am in the same category. I don't hold it against him whatsoever. I think it's partly because we had such a lack of talent back then.

Considering the state of the program at the time, getting Junior to finally be committed at 25 was such a massive coup for us. If he were 25 today and only now just committing to us, I suspect I would be far less forgiving.

Also, I share your sense of regret for both him and Canada that he didn't play for us from 18 to 24, as that was the best version of Junior Hoilett. Obviously it would have been a game changer for Canada, but it would have been big for him as well, as he could have been the face of the team. He was a mega talent and one of the best young players in the prem.

I remember watching early sat mornings, seeing 20-21 year old Junior score for Blackburn in the premier league and he was HOT STUFF, lots of talk about how far he could go.  And although i cheered him on I was cursing him on the inside when he wouldnt accept calls or talked about jamaica/england.  Him waiting so long before comitting was bittersweet for me too, glad that he did in the long run though, and glad he got to a WC.  Such skill, such a class guy, we are lucky to have him.       

On 8/5/2024 at 4:06 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm rather fond of this player, must admit. Anyone else?

Absolutely. Followed his career from his early days in Germany. Was back and forth with his dad for a few years saying he's got to play for Canada.  Was so happy when he was finally capped. Think he was a big part of the rise of our men's team